• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Given the recent departure of @"TVs Frink", Fanedit.org will now be accepting applications for a new Lore Master.

Applicants must meet the following criteria:

• post at least 30 times per day
  • own a sentient computer (orange variant)
  • be ridiculous

Please submit a cover letter, CV, and three references to @"MCP"

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Facebook has collected about 2GB of raw data on me...
Why the fuck did I sign up for this shit?

#DeleteFacebook

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Facebook likes it raw.

~Remember kids, just say NO to hashtags, but always YES to hash~

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mmmmmm, good hash browns are among the best things ever in the history of ever.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:

#DeleteFacebook

Really great satire, is satire that was made 10-years ago but about today's events:

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:

#DeleteFacebook

DY_LW_NXUAAYXDr.jpg:large

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If they ever make another TV series about the Crucifixion they could call the first episode 'Pilate'

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ever tried watching BTTF in Japanese? It's quite an experience.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
If they ever make another TV series about the Crucifixion they could call the first episode 'Pilate'

good one, sinbad.
the end of the series should include a postcredits afterlife teaser.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I know fanediting in its current form effectively became popularised thanks to the Phantom Edit, but even so....I find it somewhere between disappointing and irksome that so much faneditor time is still going towards Star Wars edits. Like there haven't been enough efforts to gold-plate the turd that was Episode I, now we've got seventy eight billion versions of The Force Awakens, Rogue One and The Last Jedi either already released or on the way.

The same is true for The Hobbit trilogy, IMO.

I don't much care about Star Wars films. I like the OT well enough but they don't have their hooks in me. Ditto LotR - hence my skipping the Hobbit films entirely after their mixed reception.

It seems a shame to me that with all the excellent projects and idea that could exist out there, so much mindspace gets dedicated to so many variations of the same thing.

Anyway. That's my moan over. *Cue meta-moan about how much moaning is on the internet these days, etc* ;)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's natural that people want to make the Hobbit as good as LotR, or make the PT/ST as good as the OT, or the Matrix sequels as good as the first etc. If there was a 'Citizen Kane 2: Electric Boogaloo' people would be editing that a lot for much the same reason.

I agree that a more diverse range of fanedits is a good thing and they are there if you keep an eye out. In the last 12-months edits of the following have been added to ifdb: a 1940s Flash Gordon serial, La La Land with no dancing, two 1950s b-movies, several David Lynch projects, some film called "Shipwrecked" I'd never heard of ;) , Mystery Science Theater 3000, Darkman and David Cronenberg's Videodrome (by your good self).

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I get it - and I understand it - but I feel your pain @"That One Guy" 

I have my own vision for both The Hobbit and The Last Jedi, but I will probably never make them, simply because I don't want to add to the continuous and currently innavigable stream of edits. I groan and sigh every time a new one pops up, and I'm certain people would groan and sigh if they saw mine. And, tbh, with the sheer quantity of versions available, chances are someone either has done or is doing something that's pretty similar to what I want -  It's just finding the bloody thing.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I do get why, at a visceral level, people want to tackle these films in particular, and fanediting is the kind of hobby where if you're doing it properly you need to have some appreciation for the sources you tackle.

But, nonetheless, when I see yet another prequel trilogy edit (with exceptions for things like Frink's Ridiculous series, the Heavy Metal Star Wars series, or the Silent Prequel trilogy, all of which work hard to do something interesting in its own right) I kind of sigh to myself.

Witha similar feeling around the newer films, in part because it feels like many editors rush to release something ASAP after the home release, rather than taking as much time as is necessary for the project to gestate and develop into the  best possible version that it can be....

I don't object to people editing what they want to edit, but I find myself wondering what the point is of having dozens of variations on the same material. Oddly enough Blade Runner 2049 seems to be an exception here, in that while there are quite a few projects around it quite a few are fairly inventive, at least in their goals. But maybe that's bias because I am more interested in that film.

To spin my thoughts in a more constructive direction, I think it would be very interesting to have an opt-in challenge for editors over a period of time wherein they take on a new project with the limitation being that it can't be something using a primary source which has already been (or currently is) the subject of an edit.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Though I don’t edit myself, I got interested in fan editing due to a desire to have a prequel trilogy that I could stand to watch. I’m guessing most folks here—editors or not—have similar stories. I watched tons of fan edits of the  prequels trying to find one that works. At this point I’m of a mind that they are beyond redemption. But, I think many tackle these movies because they want/hope they can “fix” them better than the last person who tried. I honestly didn’t think there were more than a handful of TFA edits. And I found my TLJ edit on the first one I watched. But that film has more varied criticisms so I think we’ll see a lot of edits in order to satisfy everyone.

Top Bottom