If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Every month we ask the community to vote on their Favorite Fanedit of the Month. To view the nominees and vote visit this thread.

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.
prayers and well wishes going out to Stan Lee, 95 and rushed to hospital.
hope hes ok.
Damn, get well, Mr. Lee.
I may be an A-hole, but I'm not 100% a dick - Han Solo

"Oh, you think you're so f#ck!ng cool, don't you" - MacGruder, Aegis Oil security
Ok, someone please help, because I don't understand this at all...   Dodgy

I've been experimenting with using Windows 7's Backup and Restore to protect my old files. Did a first full backup in the fall, then did a second one today. Now, the Help and Support file for backup states "Backup keeps track of the files that have been added or modified since your last backup and then updates the existing backup, which saves disk space," which makes sense, right? But the fall backup is 120 GB, and today's backup (which took hours) is 135 GB. The HDD in question, which has nothing else on it, lists 255 GB filled.

Obviously, then, today's backup didn't merely update the new and modified files, as my Documents folder (the only one I've set these backups to target) is currently 135 GB, and has certainly not grown by more than 20 GB in the past few months, nor have I gone on large-file modifying sprees. Nor could only adding and modifying new files have taken so very long. No, Backup by all appearances seems to have created a second, separate backup of every damn thing. I've searched through the (very scanty) Settings screens, and can't find any kind of option to add only new and modified files to the next backup, so I don't know what the above Help and Support quote could possibly mean. If Backup isn't going to smartly and selectively only backup new and modified files, why should I bother with it at all, instead of manually copying my Documents folder?! What's going on?!
(02-11-2018, 07:49 PM)Gaith Wrote:

Are those Porgs?
(02-11-2018, 07:59 PM)The Scribbling Man Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 07:49 PM)Gaith Wrote:

Are those Porgs?

I thought they were the progeny of ThrowgnCpr.
lol, my little Burrowing Owl kids.
--------------------------: My Fanedits :--------------------------
Because You Were Home (the Strangers)

-------------------------: Consecutions :-------------------------
So... no one uses Windows Backup? Do you use another program, or drag&drop? Smile
(02-12-2018, 09:49 AM)ThrowgnCpr Wrote: lol, my little Burrowing Owl kids.