• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Zamros said:
EDIT: CRISPS IN THE FRIDGE? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Oops, I did it again. :)

thumb.jpg

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
prayers and well wishes going out to Stan Lee, 95 and rushed to hospital.
hope hes ok.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, someone please help, because I don't understand this at all...   :dodgy:

I've been experimenting with using Windows 7's Backup and Restore to protect my old files. Did a first full backup in the fall, then did a second one today. Now, the Help and Support file for backup states "Backup keeps track of the files that have been added or modified since your last backup and then updates the existing backup, which saves disk space," which makes sense, right? But the fall backup is 120 GB, and today's backup (which took hours) is 135 GB. The HDD in question, which has nothing else on it, lists 255 GB filled.

Wildlife_Comedy_5.jpg

Obviously, then, today's backup didn't merely update the new and modified files, as my Documents folder (the only one I've set these backups to target) is currently 135 GB, and has certainly not grown by more than 20 GB in the past few months, nor have I gone on large-file modifying sprees. Nor could only adding and modifying new files have taken so very long. No, Backup by all appearances seems to have created a second, separate backup of every damn thing. I've searched through the (very scanty) Settings screens, and can't find any kind of option to add only new and modified files to the next backup, so I don't know what the above Help and Support quote could possibly mean. If Backup isn't going to smartly and selectively only backup new and modified files, why should I bother with it at all, instead of manually copying my Documents folder?! What's going on?!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So... no one uses Windows Backup? Do you use another program, or drag&drop? :)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Woke up at 3 a.m. this morning to find a mouse on my record player. Tried to catch it, but I may as well be trying to catch the Flash.
Slept in the lounge and now I'm back in my room, looking for the cheeky minx (mouse). 

Unfortunately, my room is Mouse Haven (piles of clothes, papers,  old books). High time I did something about it, I suppose.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
(sigh) Experiencing some major slow down now I'm editing with HD sources :(

In other news, I "accidentally" caught the mouse.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
(sigh) Experiencing some major slow down now I'm editing with HD sources :(

In other news, I "accidentally" caught the mouse.

Yep whenever I upgrade something in my PC the whole thing ends up with a refresh within a few months, it might be time for a new PC Scrib!

You didn't squish him (accidentally) did ya?

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Unfortunately, I can't afford a major upgrade at the moment  :-/

Nah, no squishing. In fact he's probably still alive... saw him rummaging through a bin bag of rubbish I'd taken out of my room, so I quickly tied a knot in it and put it in the wheelie bin outside. I'm sure he'll have chewed through, but I doubt he can open lids. My Hope and assumption is that the bin man will drive him far, far away...

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Am I the only one that sees the humor that this is a "PG-13 site" but the site owner's user title is "King Shit of Fuck Mountain"?

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In a similar oxymoron type vein, what are forum members views on plagiarising or using bits of someone elses edit.  Not that I wish to do it at all, just wondered what peoples view were assuming they too own the source.  Considering the whole ethos of  the site is repackaging somone elses work in a different way  I would think we are all fair game. I would certainly take it as a compliment if somebody used something I had done

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
In a similar oxymoron type vein, what are forum members views on plagiarising or using bits of someone elses edit.  Not that I wish to do it at all, just wondered what peoples view were assuming they too own the source.  Considering the whole ethos of  the site is repackaging somone elses work in a different way  I would think we are all fair game. I would certainly take it as a compliment if somebody used something I had done

The "gentleman's rule" is you ask for permission from the user you about to rip off. Unless that user is blueyoda, just go ahead and steal his art.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes I have no wish to do it but if I did that would be my approach too. Just wondered if people have opposing views on it considering what the site is all about.

Top Bottom