• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
June 21st is almost over, Pacific Time, meaning it's almost no longer the 13th anniversary of my first-ever smooch. I hope that L, wherever she is, is doing well... this one goes out to her:

(lyrical content not mention to be taken literally - the Gaith is not a creeper, I swear! :lol: )

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
charming-star-wars-comic-strip-you-were-right-about-me

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
This might be good

Yes! I'm glad it's going to series. This was on the last wave of the Amazon pilot season and I really enjoyed the pilot episode. The world of the show looked great and it had an interesting alternate history. I'll definitely watch this series. Hell, the best series I watched all last year was on Amazon and my favorite so far this year is also on Amazon. They've been doing great things in my opinion.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
merely felt like saying, "masturbiece theater."

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Damn it! I've already filled up my very new 2TB harddrive with miriad lossless editing files... It's time for 4TB! I'll probably have that filled up by next tuesday!

Sigh... I remember the days when I thought a 20MB PC hardrive was almost unfillable in one lifetime :lol:.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adam Sandler looks more and more like Bob Dylan.

18932.jpg

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
He definitely looks like a man of constant sorrow.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finally got around to seeing the new Mission: Impossible movie today. Used my SCENE points for a free IMAX admission. The last two movies I saw in IMAX, A Good Day To Die Hard and Furious 7, were entirely in IMAX. And by that I mean that the entire screen was taken up during the entirety of the film, not just during certain scenes like with past films. So I figured that's how they were doing IMAX movies now. But when M:I - Rogue Nation started I noticed that it was letterboxed, so I figured that only certain scenes would be in IMAX format. But the entire movie was like that. Letterboxed. What's up with that?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't want to lease streaming movies... it's a con... but stuff is coming out now in HD on streaming sites, that has never been released on Blu-Ray (Or even had a decent looking DVD). I don't want to lease this sh*t and I never will, but I'd gladly pay top dollar to own it on Blu-Ray. Goddamn you studios, press up some physical discs and take my money!

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
I finally got around to seeing the new Mission: Impossible movie today. Used my SCENE points for a free IMAX admission. The last two movies I saw in IMAX, A Good Day To Die Hard and Furious 7, were entirely in IMAX. And by that I mean that the entire screen was taken up during the entirety of the film, not just during certain scenes like with past films. So I figured that's how they were doing IMAX movies now. But when M:I - Rogue Nation started I noticed that it was letterboxed, so I figured that only certain scenes would be in IMAX format. But the entire movie was like that. Letterboxed. What's up with that?
Depends on what screen you saw it on and what the film's aspect ratio is.

There have only been a handful of real IMAX movies, i.e. movies with select scenes shot on IMAX 70mm cameras. These films utilize the entire screen of a real IMAX theater, which is about 70ft tall and has an AR of 1.43:1. Nolan movies, M:I Ghost Protocol, Star Trek Into Darkness, Transformers 2, Catching Fire. They are in their normal AR througout (2.35:1, 1.85:1, etc. - what you'd see in any other theater) except for the IMAX scenes which are 1.43:1. Then there are the rare films (Skyfall, Tomorrowland, maybe others) which do not have scenes filmed with IMAX cameras but extend vertically their AR for IMAX.

Then there's LIEMAX which is called IMAX but has a much shorter screen and an AR of 1.89:1. The movies with varying AR still vary, but only to the extent of the LIEMAX's screen.

Every other movie retains their original AR for both real and fake IMAX presentation. A Good Day to Die Hard has a 1.85:1 AR, so if you saw it in LIEMAX it would have just about taken up the whole screen. Furious 7 and M:I Rogue Nation are both 2.35:1, so you should have seen both letterboxed no matter what screen.

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I don't want to lease streaming movies... it's a con... but stuff is coming out now in HD on streaming sites, that has never been released on Blu-Ray (Or even had a decent looking DVD). I don't want to lease this sh*t and I never will, but I'd gladly pay top dollar to own it on Blu-Ray. Goddamn you studios, press up some physical discs and take my money!
thank you for this rant. i feel the same way. i personally wish the format would jump to SD/microSD instead of discs that have to be read by . . . "lasers" . . . it seems the gagets have all moved to microSD expandable memory. why not have a movie on a microSD card, shove that in your phone or tablet or [whatever]. no worries about scratches or dust or moving parts in the player.
but my long ago prediction of tablets overtaking the netbook craze was much more accurate than my prediction that SD cards would replace disc media. i didn't think streaming would take off like it did for your rant's reason. but i guess people have grown so used to paying for an MP3 of a song that they've become ok with paying for any other file format (movies, music, games, software, girlfriends, etc).

(i'm not lost on the irony of even physical media still being only bits of data. but at least you can hold it and take it with you and not rely on a internet connection to enjoy it.)

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
Depends on what screen you saw it on and what the film's aspect ratio is.

There have only been a handful of real IMAX movies, i.e. movies with select scenes shot on IMAX 70mm cameras. These films utilize the entire screen of a real IMAX theater, which is about 70ft tall and has an AR of 1.43:1. Nolan movies, M:I Ghost Protocol, Star Trek Into Darkness, Transformers 2, Catching Fire. They are in their normal AR througout (2.35:1, 1.85:1, etc. - what you'd see in any other theater) except for the IMAX scenes which are 1.43:1. Then there are the rare films (Skyfall, Tomorrowland, maybe others) which do not have scenes filmed with IMAX cameras but extend vertically their AR for IMAX.

Then there's LIEMAX which is called IMAX but has a much shorter screen and an AR of 1.89:1. The movies with varying AR still vary, but only to the extent of the LIEMAX's screen.

Every other movie retains their original AR for both real and fake IMAX presentation. A Good Day to Die Hard has a 1.85:1 AR, so if you saw it in LIEMAX it would have just about taken up the whole screen. Furious 7 and M:I Rogue Nation are both 2.35:1, so you should have seen both letterboxed no matter what screen.

That's interesting to learn. How can I find out if an IMAX film is LIEMAX or not prior to going to see it?

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
That's interesting to learn. How can I find out if an IMAX film is LIEMAX or not prior to going to see it?
LIEMAX typically refers to the screen itself. This is the international list of IMAX theaters: http://www.lfexaminer.com/theaintl.htm
Not sure if it's up to date, but usually if the site says the theater uses the film format, it's real IMAX.

As for what movies actually use IMAX cameras or not, you'll really just have to look into them case by case, but it's not a lot. Star Wars is the next one, and I believe Captain America 3 has some scenes shot with the new digital IMAX cameras. Actually Star Wars might be the last one to shoot scenes with the 70mm IMAX camera because they have the new digital one which will surely be cheaper. However this means that we will be seeing a lot more films shot on IMAX soon and some that are completely IMAX (like the next two Avengers films).

The films shot with IMAX cameras are must see in IMAX for me but I like to catch some other, non-IMAX films in the format anyway if I think they're worth it. IMAX is the best possible presentation of a movie so if it's a movie really made for the big screen, and I have some extra cash, I'll lay down money for the premium format even if it wasn't actually filmed for IMAX. Case in point, I'll be seeing Spectre opening night on a LIEMAX screen and I couldn't be happier.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When my peeps at work suggest that I re-enlist, and I'm all

quit.jpg

Four months left to go... :p

Top Bottom