• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
T-Bone said:
(Sorry if the following comes off as occasionally sexual....no double entendre intended.)

nigel-tufnel.jpg

I'm trying to understand how the post was "occasionally sexual," not to mention how that would be a double entendre. Is there another meaning for "sexual" that I'm unaware of? Perhaps I should ask Frantic Canadian.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Occasionally sexual" = sometimes sexual, sometimes not.

"Sexual" = about or related to sex.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
According to IMDB Elliot Goldenthal is doing music for a new Julie Taymor film a Midsummer nights dream, and something called Cyber. Well I hope so, I remember a while ago it said he was doing music for Iron Man 2 or 3 or avengers 2 or something and that didn't happen.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you've been reading the "Last DVD/Blu-Ray I Got" thread you know that I've been hitting up the Salvation Army a lot lately. The one I go to most often has PAL tapes from the UK and some SECAM tapes from France. Nothing worth picking up so far, British TV and tourism/religion stuff, but looking at the tapes they look just like the NTSC tapes. I always though that PAL and SECAM tapes were shaped differently. What would happen if I tried to play a PAL or SECAM tape in my NTSC machine?

ghouldetail

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm pretty sure NTSC VCR's won't play PAL because of the line structure and possibly frame rate incompatibility too, unless NTSC VCR's play at 30fps. Most VCRs sold in the UK by the end of the format were multi-format players that would convert NTSC and SECAM (the French system), but North America never really did that. I know whenever I tried playing NTSC on a PAL-only VCR all I got was distortion and picture rollover so I'd say the same would happen the other way around.
You'd still need to have a PAL capable VCR if you wanted to rip the tape to your PC aswell, and because of the voltage difference I don't think you'd be able buy an old VCR from Europe and use that, unless you can buy the kind of transformer over there that we can get over here to convert the voltage of North American electrical items and make a 2 pin plug fit in a 3 pin socket.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ghouldetail said:
I'm pretty sure NTSC VCR's won't play PAL because of the line structure and possibly frame rate incompatibility too, unless NTSC VCR's play at 30fps. Most VCRs sold in the UK by the end of the format were multi-format players that would convert NTSC and SECAM (the French system), but North America never really did that. I know whenever I tried playing NTSC on a PAL-only VCR all I got was distortion and picture rollover so I'd say the same would happen the other way around.
You'd still need to have a PAL capable VCR if you wanted to rip the tape to your PC aswell, and because of the voltage difference I don't think you'd be able buy an old VCR from Europe and use that, unless you can buy the kind of transformer over there that we can get over here to convert the voltage of North American electrical items and make a 2 pin plug fit in a 3 pin socket.

I always thought they wouldn't play because PAL and SECAM tapes were shaped differently, but as I've seen they are shaped exactly the same way. I never thought about the different frame rates. But once I saw the tapes I thought maybe they'd play, but sped up or something. I don't have a VCR-to-PC ripper, I do my VHS transferring by connecting my VCR to my DVD recorder. I don't know if they still have it, but The Shopping Channel has sold a transformer thing like you mentioned before, and iirc it was pretty cheap. And it was a universal thing too. It had sockets for all over the world and corresponding outputs as well. The only problem would be finding a PAL VCR. But hey, if I can find PAL and SECAM tapes here I'm sure I can probably find somebody who's got a PAL VCR as well.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe one of your pals has one?

*crickets*

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just ate a plate of oven heated nachos with gouda cheese and mild salsa. It was really really good.

Last night I ate too many freezies and got sick.

My dog keeps hogging the couch, but I put up with it cause I don't want to argue with him and his reverse logic/turn the tables crap.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
I just ate a plate of oven heated nachos with gouda cheese and mild salsa. It was really really good.

sounds delicious

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
One. Just one! Is that too much to ask?!

o-GOLDEN-facebook.jpg

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My new thread has to be approved by a moderator.
e0f3ecd64e56f6287b3bbaa14fcac96057b7e2494190d046ec32f981f3de5762.jpg

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Moderator kitteh sez too bad.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I dreamed that a hot babe and myself were walking on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere and she was complaining that I don't listen to her or something, I dunno, I wasn't really paying attention, but then an oldsmobile swerved in front of us and came to a screeching stop and it was Samuel L. Jackson and he was a pimp, he started yelling profanities at the hot babe I was with and started shooting a gun at us from his back window, suddenly I had a gun and shot at his gas tank and the car caught on fire, Sam Jackson caught on fire as well and started to look like a burning skeleton stuck in the car with his seatbelt on but was still yelling profanities at us, then I woke up.

Top Bottom