• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Probably yes, if the groceries are with you in the time machine, unless it's like the time machine in Terminator, you'd have to stick with meat and veggies and go through naked with the food = awkward.

My ideal time machine would be the DeLorean from Back To The Future, so no problem there. This brings up another question though. If you went back to the past would your money remain the same, or would it change to currency no older than the year in which you traveled to? If it doesn't change then you'd be completely screwed and couldn't buy anything, at least not with cash.

Rogue-theX said:
ETA: What if you went back in time to get the groceries and the world was HUGE in the past, and everyone was giants, how'd you bring the giant food back with you in your regular sized time machine, and how would you cook it?

Exactly how far are you going back? :lol:

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Probably yes, if the groceries are with you in the time machine, unless it's like the time machine in Terminator, you'd have to stick with meat and veggies and go through naked with the food = awkward.

Why is the terminator time machine so particular about clothes? Never thought about it till now, but suddenly that makes no sense.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You'd probably have to clothe the clothes in terminator skin because its alive, since the clothes would then be surrounded by living tissue you'd be able to go through clothed but you'd kinda look naked anyway.

@ Frantic: far enough that people are giants and everything is huge like. I read of that concept in a Phil K. Dick novelette.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw a U.F.O yesterday's evening.
First time I really can't explain what I saw. Kind of a big oval fire ball is the sky (but without any smoke trail), flying horizontaly like a helicopter (maybe a bit faster, IMO), but without any sound.
Then the "lightning" intensity diminished more and more and it ended like going down on a forest few kilometers away but a closer building was blocking my view, so I could not see the "landing" (haha) point.

:-?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pff.. should be an helicopter after all (so let down...haha)
because:
A - there IS an hospital near its trajectory...
B - No sound: because of the wind going into the opposite side.
C - The impression of speed caused by the fact that there should be no projector behind the helicopter so the "UFO" was getting smaller and smaller not because it was going far way but because it simply was showing its back and the halo of lightning was less important around the helicopter.

First time I see an helicopter with such an halo of lightning around it though. Usualy it's just a little red light flickering.
Bou hou. I so wanted to see a UFO...

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
7oygj4b.jpg

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
Why is the terminator time machine so particular about clothes? Never thought about it till now, but suddenly that makes no sense.
Something about the field generated by a living organism. Nothing dead will go. I didn't build the fucking thing.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why do some people think that if you leave a can of soda or beer in the fridge too long it'll explode?

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
nope. People must be a special kind of dumb near you.

:lol: I've heard it many times over the years and it just really annoys me. Just last year I went to my cousin's house for a family get-together and I stopped by the LCBO with my brother-in-law for some beer. I bought a couple of tallboys and I put them in the freezer. Not too long after that my aunt came out and told me she put them in the fridge so they wouldn't explode. WTF!?! When have you ever seen a can of beer, or soda, explode because it's in the freezer? Especially after so little time. You know what happens when you leave a can of soda or beer in the freezer too long? The contents freeze. That's all. I can't be the only one who's heard this saying before? Maybe it's just a Canadian thing?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
:lol: I've heard it many times over the years and it just really annoys me. Just last year I went to my cousin's house for a family get-together and I stopped by the LCBO with my brother-in-law for some beer. I bought a couple of tallboys and I put them in the freezer. Not too long after that my aunt came out and told me she put them in the fridge so they wouldn't explode. WTF!?! When have you ever seen a can of beer, or soda, explode because it's in the freezer? Especially after so little time. You know what happens when you leave a can of soda or beer in the freezer too long? The contents freeze. That's all. I can't be the only one who's heard this saying before? Maybe it's just a Canadian thing?

lol, not going to comment on Canada... but yeah, expand and deform: yes. explode: erm, no. Unless it's Michael Bay Lager

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
lol, not going to comment on Canada... but yeah, expand and deform: yes. explode: erm, no. Unless it's Michael Bay Lager

:lol: If it's Michael Bay lager then I think by law it has to explode. :D

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
Something about the field generated by a living organism. Nothing dead will go. I didn't build the fucking thing.

Damn, that was a good answer! I think [MENTION=9578]Neglify[/MENTION] may be right about you. Only someone who built skynet would deny building skynet... :-?

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:

Maybe I have a special kind of freezer or something, but I have cleaned more exploded beers and sodas than I can count.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit said:
Maybe I have a special kind of freezer or something, but I have cleaned more exploded beers and sodas than I can count.

Two questions.

1. Were they bottles or cans?
2. How long did you leave them in for?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's pretty simple. Liquid expands below freeze point. If there is room in the container for the expansion, no explode. If not, you will get a deformation, leak, or explode.

This is why water pipes burst in very cold weather.. When the water is pressurized, the pipe is completely full of water, so there is no room for expansion (and no give to the pipe).

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
cans & bottles both.

Most were over an hour, but I seem to remember as little as 40 minutes. I'm super forgetful, but I do like my beer cold.

Sometimes I catch 'em in time and get away with a beer or soda slurpee.

Top Bottom