If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.
(06-25-2020, 03:42 PM)darth_ender Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 03:08 PM)CatBus Wrote: Well, I've been sitting on this one, but "strike" means to hit something.  Except in baseball, where it means to try to hit something but miss.

And that's all I got.

And in bowling  Wink

I admit, I had a little help with the others, but this one I came up with on my own:

To bound, meaning to walk or run with leaps off the ground; to bound, meaning to enclose or restrict.

I'm sure I could look up a few more for fun, but I wanted to try to come up with one on my own.  Smile

Aloha Wink
So I watched WarGames (the Matthew Broderick film) the other night, and there's this dramatic scene where a woman is shouting "Hold the door! Hold the door!"

That's never going to be the same again, is it?  It's going to be like whenever someone says "Who ya gonna call?"
[+] 1 user Likes CatBus's post
Is it just me, or do these "environmentally friendly" LED light bulbs, that are filled with toxic chemicals requiring special disposal, fail at significantly higher rates than old-school ones? Maybe they handle the wear and tear of turning off and on less well?
I started replacing all of the normal incandescent light bulbs in my house with LED bulbs a few years ago. I went through quite a few bulbs in the first year but now I'm not even sure when the last time was that I changed a bulb. I don't think there are any traditional bulbs left in my house.
(07-09-2020, 02:31 PM)Gaith Wrote: Is it just me, or do these "environmentally friendly" LED light bulbs, that are filled with toxic chemicals requiring special disposal, fail at significantly higher rates than old-school ones? Maybe they handle the wear and tear of turning off and on less well?

Some factors I can think of explain this.  An LED bulb is only as good as the electronics governing the bulb.  The cheap bulbs (which honestly aren't that cheap, compared to CFL or incandescent) tend to be crap that burns out quick.  If you're spending that much for a bulb, spend a little more and get a good one (yes, brand names are a decent gauge of quality in this case).  Dimmers can also play hell with LED's.  Not all LED's are dimmable, and they don't like all types of dimmers, and while you may have luck mix-and-matching in the short run, you may pay for it with the lifetime of the bulb and awful flicker effects -- you may tolerate this flicker on your Christmas tree, but you won't want it in your kitchen.  Last, enclosed fixtures are death for an LED bulb.  Fixtures must be open -- i.e. have good airflow in and out of the fixture to the rest of the room.  LED's don't make much heat, but they can't tolerate it at all.  So even if your fully enclosed fixture feels much, much cooler than it did with an incandescent, your LED is still roasting itself to death inside.

My general advice is don't just replace the bulb.  Replace entire fixtures with LED-friendly versions, and throw in new switches while you're at it.  Yeah, that's not exactly eco- (or budget-) friendly in the short term.  But those decade-long-plus bulb lifespans you hear about?  That's how to achieve them.
^ Interesting, thanks; I had no idea about the heat factor. I'm talking about a desk banker's lamp I drape a kerchief over so the shade doesn't blind me, so it probably does get pretty hot. Guess I should go back to an old-fashioned bulb in this case, because my LED ones fail every half-year or so. Smile
Before the pandemic happened i was set to do a stream of concerts at local places. When they all obviously got cancelled I kinda fell off doing music but now I'm gearing up to start doimg streamed concerts until I can do in person shows again. Here's a photo of a very closed and private rehearsal concert I did just for some close friends and family in my home.

[Image: 116427350_4168078256600204_6852921964722...e=5F4A5BD0]
[+] 7 users Like Possessed's post
(08-01-2020, 10:31 PM)Possessed Wrote: Before the pandemic happened i was set to do a stream of concerts at local places. When they all obviously got cancelled I kinda fell off doing music but now I'm gearing up to start doimg streamed concerts until I can do in person shows again. Here's a photo of a very closed and private rehearsal concert I did just for some close friends and family in my home.

[Image: 116427350_4168078256600204_6852921964722...e=5F4A5BD0]

We have those same bar stools. Tongue Can you post video? While we were in lockdown, I participated in the “quarantunes” hashtag on Instagram. I posted a new solo acoustic tunes each week. It was a good way to keep motivated.
[+] 1 user Likes Moe_Syzlak's post
Im sure i will be posting video soon. I don't have any from that night though.