• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring: Sharkey's Purist Ed. 2.0

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
PREFERRED DOWNLOAD LINKS:
FOTR:
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=XA7HF9RK
TTT:
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=YV4FZQK
ROTK:
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=CEAVVHCI

Sorry to double-dip, but I consider this version a far superior fan edit over the original version I put out a year ago. For one thing, I had the influence and personal assistance of Kerr, along with 'Phillock.'

original film name: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Extended Edition
new film name : The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Sharkey's Purist Edition 2.0
film studio name : New Line Cinema
edit crew name : Shelton, Dragash, and Kerr
Date Original Film Was Released : December 19, 2001
Date Edit Was Released : December 19, 2009
Original Runtime : 208 minutes
New Runtime : 181 minutes
Amount of time Cut/Added : about 27 minutes cut

Cuts removed/added/extended :

Removed a Ringwraith lopping a hobbit's head off ALA the "famous historian" from The Holy Grail.
Cut Saruman's description of Sauron as a bodiless eye.
Trimmed the multiple doors as Gandalf attempts to leave Orthanc.
Trimmed some of Merry and Pippin's Jar-Jar moments during the "shortcut to mushrooms."
The Ringwraith is not startled by a thrown bag of vegetables.
Trimmed the run-in with the Wraiths as the hobbits run to the ferry. It makes them look incompetent and unthreatening.
Cut Frodo encountering the eye of Sauron at the Prancing Pony. Frodo does not become aware of the eye until Amon Hen.
Removed the intercutting of the sleeping hobbits and the armed Ringwraiths.
Saruman is not shown taking orders from Mordor, and is not depicted as Sauron's "puppet."
Saruman is not breeding an army of Uruk-hai.
Glorfindel Arwen does not catch Aragorn "off his guard."
Phil Dragash's voice can be heard as the Nazgul who challenges Arwen.
Removed Arwen's 'prayer' for Frodo, as this sows the seeds of her death subplot in the third film, which is also removed.
Trimmed some of Elrond's more blatant 'racist' remarks against Men.
Elrond does not mention Aragorn as having turned away from his heritage as Isildur's heir.
Aragorn does not express self-doubt. He does not tell Legolas to sit down at the Council.
Moved Boromir and Aragorn's nighttime scene and Aragorn's scene with Arwen to after the Council of Elrond. Cut Boromir's chat with Aragorn because they have already met each other.
Cut Aragorn's doubts, but leaving Arwen's encouragement.
The scene at Aragorn's mother's grave has been trimmed to remove Aragorn's doubts.
Saruman has nothing to do with Caradhras, and we don't see him again until the next film.
Shortened the Watcher attack before entering Moria to make it more like the book. Frodo doesn't dangle in the air.
Heavily trimmed the extrabiblical Cave Troll's involvement with the fight in Balin's tomb.
No spider-orcs climbing the walls.
Removed the peril of the crumbling stairs. It wasn't in the book, and has some silly moments. This portrayal puts greater emphasis on the approaching Balrog.
The theatrical version of the first part of the approach to Lorien was used, removing the extra nighttime scene, but including the EE's daytime approach.
Removed Galadriel's creepy telepathy with Frodo.
Cut Galadriel's warnings that Boromir will try to take the ring. Part of a greater edit to remove the notion that he had intended this all along.
We do not see Saruman sending out the Uruk-hai, and do not know of an impending attack until it happens. No semi-chase scene with the Uruks on foot and fellowship in boats.
Aragorn does not tell Galadriel that Arwen is sailing across the sea. Nowhere in these edits is it implied that Arwen is sailing to Valinor. She and Aragorn know what they are doing.
Removed Aragorn and Boromir arguing about where the ring should go. Tolkien was far more subtle.
We retained Aragorn's final confrontation with Frodo, thought it's not in the book, but trimmed it to make Aragorn not appear evil at first.
Shortened Aragorn's fight with the extrabiblical Lurtz.
Cut Aragorn's line to dying Boromir that he "does not know what strength is in his blood." It's part of his self-doubt.
We don't see Sam underwater. It looks strange, and lasts too long.

Fanedit details : The video should be of identical quality to the original DVDs, and the audio is 5.1 surround.

Release details: As NTSC DVDs:1 SL, 1 DL
or two 700MB MP4s.

Intention for this fanedit:
Modeled after the "purist edition" of TTT that has floated around for the past few years, this fan edit sets out to bring the Jackson films more in line with Tolkien's original novel. Hopefully a version the die-hard Tolkien purists can find easier to stomach, by removing as many offending bits as possible.

How intention was achieved:
Aside from small cuts, such things have been cut away as: Sauron is not merely a giant eye floating above Barad-dur, Arwen is not sailing across the sea to Valinor, Aragorn does not doubt his identity and destiny, Saruman is not Sauron's direct subservient, and Boromir is corrupted rather than an being an undercover agent.

Time needed for the edition: A good couple of months

persons involved: 3

Available at: ThePirateBay and Demonoid and as mp4 through RS and MU on fanedit.info

Hal9000 said:
Heavily trimmed the extrabiblical Cave Troll's involvement with the fight in Balin's tomb.

Good grief! Even by my exacting standards, this is an extremely precise and literal use of the word extra-biblical. Discovering this piece of glorious pedantry made my day. :smile: I doff my hat to you, sir!

Haha, and your comment made me laugh.

I just had a test screening (a bit late, admittedly) of this fan edit (FOTR). The results surprised me a little, and revealed a few flaws I had not noticed prior. (Shame on me for letting a petty fan edit be someone's first experience in Middle-earth!)

When we reached the scenes showing Saruman ripping down the trees, the audience wondered why. It wasn't until a few minutes later did they understand, sort of, when we see Saruman gearing up for war. I did not wish to show Saruman taking orders from Mordor, preferring his character to be mysterious rather than one-dimensional and unlike the book.

Caradhras lacked some of its former punch. I still prefer my version, but I do appreciate Jackson's effort to give the sequence an integral place in their journey and use it to prefigure in the Balrog. But, for a purist version, it has go to go.

When the Fellowship had begun sailing down the river, I could feel the absence of the Isengard scenes, and the film had less of a sense of urgency and danger.

The audience noticed I had cut Sam being underwater, since it was somewhat abrupt. I should have retained the long shot before showing Frodo pulling him up.

Worst of all, there was a damn misplaced frame during the Cave Troll sequence.

Had this been the work of another fan editor, I would probably be able to live with it without problem. I may have to tweak this to a version 2.1, at least for my own satisfaction.

Hal9000 said:
When we reached the scenes showing Saruman ripping down the trees, the audience wondered why. It wasn't until a few minutes later did they understand, sort of, when we see Saruman gearing up for war.

I wouldn't worry about this one too much. I don't think an audience has to understand everything they see as it happens, as long as what they see is explained as some point in the film.

I liked PJ's Caradhas sequence too! While I didn't like all the deviations from the book, sometimes watching the fanedits helps one understand why PJ made the changes he did to put across the films to mainstream audiences.

Good luck with working on the other elements. I shall look forward to version 2.1. :)

Glad to hear it, and I'd be happy to hear any suggestions or other input.

TTT will come tonight, where the real alterations take place.

For your information, torrent versions are being seeded of version 2.1 of the trilogy, the final version.

This version puts one film per discs, rather than splitting it. Download it from a certain pirate-themed downloadsite.

Hal9000! How have you been? I was thinking about these edits the other day, when I was listening to the commentaries on the extended editions, and wondered when your planned updated versions would see the light of day. If these are uploaded in another place, I will definitely take a look. Do you have a final list of changes? :)

Yes, indeed. Rather than *bump* each thread, here is the changelist for all three films. Many small things were modified and tweaked, and I feel happy with this version. It's one of the few things I've ever created that I feel satisfied with, personally.
The biggest change from 2.0 is actually a backsliding: reinstating the eye of Sauron. I felt the movie was worse off without it, plus reincorporating it allowed Phil and I to do something creative for the ending of TTT.
The MP4 versions ought to be more versatile than the last batch too. :)
For the record, a PIRATE themed download site is where these are being seeded. (Unrelated, the character in my avatar is famous for refusing to open the pod BAY doors.)

what kind of fanedit: TF
original film name:
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Extended Edition
new film name : The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Sharkey's Purist Edition 2.1

film studio name :
New Line Cinema
edit crew name :
Shelton, Dragash, and Kerr
Date Original Film Was Released :
December 19, 2001
Date Edit Was Released :
December 19, 2009 (2.1 finished May 7, 2010)
Original Runtime :
208 minutes
New Runtime :
181 minutes
Amount of time Cut/Added : about 27 minutes cut

Cuts removed/added/extended :
Removed a Ringwraith lopping a hobbit's head off ALA the "famous historian" from The Holy Grail.
Trimmed the multiple doors as Gandalf attempts to leave Orthanc.
Trimmed some of Merry and Pippin's Jar-Jar moments during the "shortcut to mushrooms."
The Ringwraith is not startled by a thrown bag of vegetables.
Trimmed the run-in with the Wraiths as the hobbits run to the ferry. It makes them look incompetent and unthreatening.
Cut Frodo encountering the eye of Sauron at the Prancing Pony. Frodo does not become aware of the Eye until Amon Hen.
Removed the intercutting of the sleeping hobbits and the armed Ringwraiths.
Saruman is not shown taking orders from Mordor, and is not depicted as Sauron's "puppet."
Saruman is not breeding an army of Uruk-hai.
Glorfindel Arwen does not catch Aragorn "off his guard."
Phil Dragash's voice can be heard as the Nazgul who challenges Arwen.
Removed Arwen's 'prayer' for Frodo, as this sows the seeds of her death subplot in the third film, which is also removed.
Trimmed some of Elrond's more blatant 'racist' remarks against Men.
Elrond does not mention Aragorn as having turned away from his heritage as Isildur's heir.
Aragorn does not express self-doubt. (Example: He does not tell Legolas to sit down at the Council.)
Moved Boromir and Aragorn's nighttime scene and Aragorn's scene with Arwen to after the Council of Elrond. Cut Boromir's chat with Aragorn because they have already met each other.
Cut Aragorn's doubts, but leaving Arwen's encouragement.
The scene at Aragorn's mother's grave has been trimmed to remove Aragorn's doubts.
Saruman has nothing to do with Caradhras, and we don't see him again until the next film.
Shortened the Watcher attack before entering Moria to make it more like the book. Frodo doesn't dangle in the air.
No spider-orcs climbing the walls.
Removed the peril of the crumbling stairs. It wasn't in the book, and has some silly moments. This portrayal puts greater emphasis on the approaching Balrog.
The theatrical version of the first part of the approach to Lorien was used, removing the extra nighttime scene, but including the EE's daytime approach.
Removed Galadriel's creepy telepathy with Frodo. (She refers to Frodo's encounter with the Eye of Sauron, which was removed.)
Cut Galadriel's warnings that Boromir will try to take the ring. This is part of a greater edit to remove the notion that he had intended this all along.
We do not see Saruman sending out the Uruk-hai, and do not know of an impending attack until it happens. No semi-chase scene with the Uruks on foot and fellowship in boats.
Aragorn does not tell Galadriel that Arwen is sailing across the sea. Nowhere in these edits is it implied that Arwen is sailing to Valinor. She and Aragorn know what they are doing.
Removed Aragorn and Boromir arguing about where the ring should go. Tolkien was far more subtle.
We retained Aragorn's final confrontation with Frodo, thought it's not in the book. However, the moment of implication that Aragorn is after the ring has been removed.
Shortened Aragorn's fight with the extrabiblical Lurtz character.
Cut Aragorn's line to dying Boromir that he "does not know what strength is in his blood." It's part of his self-doubt.
We don't see Sam underwater. It looks strange, and lasts too long.

Fanedit details : The video has been slightly compressed to accommodate one DL-DVD. The audio is 5.1 surround.
Your intention for this fanedit:
Modeled after the "purist edition" of TTT that has floated around the web for the past few years, this fan edit sets out to bring the Jackson films more in line with Tolkien's original novel. Hopefully a version the die-hard Tolkien purists can find easier to stomach, by removing as many offending bits as possible.
Your way to achieve your intention:
Aside from small cuts, such things have been cut away as: Arwen is not sailing across the sea to Valinor, Aragorn does not doubt his identity and destiny, Saruman is not Sauron's direct subservient, and Boromir is corrupted rather than an being an undercover agent.
Time needed for the edition:
A good couple of months
Persons involved: 3

Additional information: Two editions are available. A DL-DVD version, and a 1.5 GB mp4 version.

Additional download links: ThePirateBay and Demonoid, as well as Fanedit.org.

original film name:? The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers: Extended Edition
new film name : The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers: Sharkey's Purist Edition 2.1
?film studio name :? New Line Cinema
edit crew name :? Shelton, Dragash, and Kerr
Date Original Film Was Released :? December 18, 2001
Date Edit Was Released :? December 24, 2009 (2.1 finished May 12, 2010)
Original Runtime :? 223 minutes
New Runtime :? 173 minutes
Amount of time Cut/Added : about 76 minutes cut, 26 minutes added
?Cuts removed/added/extended :
Cut the eye of Sauron's interaction with Frodo at the beginning. Downplayed Sauron's floating eye as much as possible.
Trimmed Gimli's comedic relief during their pursuit of Merry and Pippin.
Inserted Smeagol's backstory, formerly the prologue to the third film, into his conversation with Frodo during their nighttime scene in the Dead Marshes.
Treebeard discovers Saruman's ravashing of the woods prior to scheduling the Entmoot. Treebeard is trying to convince the other Ents to go to war.
Gandalf does not refer to Saruman as "Sauron's puppet." Some scenes with Saruman and Wormtongue have been trimmed.
Cut the peril at the Blake Gate, with Sam getting stuck in the ground and nearly spotted.
Removed the antagonism between Theoden and Aragorn, and Gondor.
Theoden's decision to move to Helm's Deep is equated with riding out to meet Saruman in battle, and Gandalf does not view it as a cowardly decision of retreat.
Cut Frodo's outburst toward Sam regarding Gollum along the river.
Cut the warg attack along with Aragorn's separation from the rest of the van and his rescue by Brego the wonderhorse, who's earlier introduction was also cut.
Aragorn and Arwen's "dream" scene is retained, along with a modified version of her scene with Elrond. She is not sailing to Valinor, and has already made up her mind. (The prophetic description of Elrond about the end of her life matches the book's appendices.)
Faramir is made to appear less Boromir-like and mistreatful to the hobbits. As he is in the book, a gentle and insightful Captain of Gondor.
Cut Boromir and Faramir's backstory. Denethor did not send Boromir to the Council of Elrond for the express purpose of bringing the One Ring back to him. It ruins all justification of Boromir as a member of the Fellowship, making him an undercover agent who was not sincere in his pledge to it. He came to Rivendell because of his vision, and was corrupted more gradually toward the Ring.
Removed Theoden's antagonism toward Gondor prior to the battle.
There are no elves, save Legolas, at the battle of the Hornburg. The movie's depiction is comparable to an army from Canada inexplicably arriving to bolster the Polish defenses during WWII. In Tolkien's Middle-Earth, this is baffling.
The Entmoot makes the correct decision the first time, to attack Isengard, and do so. Merry and Pippin are not sent home to the Shire.
Trimmed the drawf-tossing reference.
Faramir does not decide to take the Ring to Gondor, and does not take Sam and Frodo to Osgiliath. He meditates on the death of his brother, and then releases them into the woods of Ithilien.
Cut Gimli's line about an orc's nervous system, because it is too modern of a term and seems jarring.
About 27 minutes from the third film have been bumped up here, to finish off the falling action surrounding Helm's Deep and Edoras, and allowing the third film to begin with Minas Tirith. Also prevents a ghastly discrepancy between the films' running times.
Fixed a continuity error in the extended editions where Merry and Pippin identify the Longbottom Leaf (in what formerly was their introduction in the third film) after being shown already knowing what it is (in a scene added to the extended edition of the second film).
Crippled the plot point about not knowing where Sauron would strike next.
Removed Gimli's and Legolas's drinking game. (Here's a drinking game: take a swig every time Jackson deviates from Tolkien's writings.)
Removed more of Theoden's antagonism toward Gondor at Gandalf's briefing scene.
Inserted a new scene after Gandalf departs for Minas Tirith to serve as a bookend, then cut to Frodo and Sam's last scene.

Fanedit details : The video should be of identical quality to the original DVDs, and the audio is 5.1 surround.
Your intention for this fanedit:? Modeled after the "purist edition" of TTT that has floated around for the past few years, this fan edit sets out to bring the Jackson films more in line with Tolkien's original novel. Hopefully a version the die-hard Tolkien purists can find easier to stomach, by removing as many offending bits as possible.
Your way to achieve your intention:? Aside from small cuts, such things have been cut away as: Saruman is not Sauron's direct subservient, Arwen is not sailing to Valinor, Theoden is not a coward and does not hold a groundless grudge against Gondor, Faramir does not drag the hobbits to Osgiliath, Frodo does not attempt to give the ring to a Nazgul, no elves at the Hornburg, the Ents do not refuse to attack Isengard, and the good guys already know Sauron moves against Minas Tirith.
Time needed for the edition:? A good couple of months
?Two editions are available: 1 DL-DVD, and 1.5 GB mp4 versions.

original film name:? The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: Extended Edition
new film name : The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: Sharkey's Purist Edition 2.1
?film studio name :? New Line Cinema
edit crew name :? Shelton, Dragash, and Kerr
Date Original Film Was Released :? December 16, 2001
Date Edit Was Released :? January 5, 2010 (2.1 finished May 14, 2010)
Original Runtime :? 250 minutes
New Runtime :? 180 minutes
Amount of time Cut/Added : about 43 minutes cut, 26 minutes moved to the previous film
?Cuts removed/added/extended :
Film opens on the lighting of the beacons of Gondor, prior to the arrival of Gandalf and Pippin.
Removed Theoden's hesitance to aid Gondor.
Gandalf doesn't pressure Denethor to call for aid, since in this version he already has.
Trimmed some of Gothmog's footage throughout. The book only gives the character a fleeting mention, and I find his portrayal annoying.
Cut Denethor's hallucination of Boromir, as well as his open claim to favoring him over Faramir.
Gollum does not frame Sam, and Frodo does not send Sam away. Gollum separates the pair by pushing Sam down the stairs after Frodo has entered Shelob's lair.
Removed the subplot where Arwen's life (light of the Evenstar?) is tied to the fate of the Ring. Also, she's still not sailing across the sea to Valinor. She does still inspire the forging of Anduril, though.
Cut the scene where the Rohirrim question Aragorn's courage as he departs for the Paths of the Dead.
Legolas does not refer to Isildur as the "last" king of Gondor. There were generations of kings after him.
Trimmed the goofiness during the Paths of the Dead.
The Witch-King of Angmar does not break Gandalf the White's staff.
Gandalf does not have Shadowfax kick Denethor onto his pyre, and Denethor does not sieze Pippin. Nor does he run the length of the city to jump off.
Cut Eowyn's encounter with Gothmog.
Cut the Witch-King's line, "die... now...."
Cut Gandalf giving Pippin the death talk. It's a nice scene, but ultimately a misapplication of Tolkien's writings.
Removed mention of Arwen from Aragorn's confrontation with Sauron via Palantir.
Frodo does not contemplate suicide while dangling inside Mount Doom. Sam pulls him up much more quickly.
Added a half-hour homebrewed "Scouring of the Shire" sequence. (Just kidding)

Your intention for this fanedit:? Modeled after the "purist edition" of TTT that has floated around for the past few years, this fan edit sets out to bring the Jackson films more in line with Tolkien's original novel. Hopefully a version the die-hard Tolkien purists can find easier to stomach, by removing as many offending bits as possible.
Your way to achieve your intention:? Aside from small cuts, such things have been cut away as: the 'dying Arwen' sub-plot, Denethor's refusal to light the beacons, and the parting of Sam and Frodo.
Time needed for the edition:? A good couple of months
?Additional information links: Two versions are available: 1 DL-DVD, and a 1.5 GB mp4
?Additional download links:

You may have made it unneccessary for me to finish up the two remaining movies. The cut lists are just about a list of everything I wanted to adress. Will watch it as soon as I can find the time.

The RS links on .info for ROTK are offline. :-(
Also, any chance of uploading the DVD's to .info instead of via Blackbeard (gratuitous pirate reference)

Give me instructions on how to upload them to whatever file storage (free) site would be most preferable overall, and I'll do it.

In the meantime, rest assured that the torrents are being seeded.

If necessary, perhaps an uploader could download this from torrent and upload it to MU or something.

Hal9000 said:
Give me instructions on how to upload them to whatever file storage (free) site would be most preferable overall, and I'll do it.

In the meantime, rest assured that the torrents are being seeded.

megaupload is the filesharer of choice at the moment.
Go to www.megaupload.com.
Click on the "multiuploader" button on the right, just below the headings.
Add the relevant files.
Enter a description for each file.
individual files can be up to 1GB, but I have found that 250MB works best to avoid errors in uploading (I have a measly 256kbps up)

Torrents are up, but sloooow. I've been downloading for over 24 hours and am 26%, 13% and 23% downloaded. I should hopefully have them by the weekend. :)

PM the links to one of the admins...

Sounds simple enough; I'll do it.

I'm gonna wait until the torrents have one or two seeders in place though before trying it. My upstream is supposedly 512kb, but all four torrents are hovering around 50kb in my torrent client. Don't worry, it'll get there.

MegaUpload will follow. :)

Since I posted the torrents have dried up. I'm getting a whopping 5kbps - estimated completion: 1 to 2 WEEKS! :shock:

Once I finish up with this semester's load, I'll upload to a filesharing service. Don't worry.

Updated first post with new download link to the (final) version: 2.1. All three films.

Back
Top Bottom