• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Best Movies Of 2009

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What are your top 5 movies of 2009?

Mine, in no particular order.

1. The Damned United by Tom Hooper
2. Whatever Works by Woody Allen
3. Brüno by Larry Charles
4. City of Life and Death/Nanjing! Nanjing! by Chuan Lu
5. Los abrazos rotos/Broken Embraces by Pedro Almodóvar

Movies I enjoyed this year, in no real order:

1) Star Trek
2) Angels and Demons
3) Wolverine (yes, really!)
4) Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
5) 2012 (really, really!)
6) Funny People
7) Zombieland
8. Pandorum
9) The Hangover

EDIT : Forgot about District 9!

Not the greatest set of movies, but the ones that kept me interested. Yea, I know it's more than 5.

Defiance
Taken
Watchmen
I love you, man
Anvil, the story of anvil
Star trek
Up
The Hangover
Food Inc
Moon
District 9
Inglorious Basterds

In no particular order:

Inglourious Basterds
Disctrict 9
Star Trek
(500) Days of Summer
Julie and Julia
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Zombieland

I saw a lot of movies this year...there are definitely more :p

1. Inglourious Basterds
2. Star Trek
3. Sin Nombre
4. The Hangover
5. Angels and Demons

'Course, haven't yet seen Avatar or Sherlock Holmes.

The only ones I've deemed entertaining enough to purchase (in no particular order):

1. Star Trek
2. Terminator: Salvation
3. Transformers: ROTF
4. The Hangover
5. Harry Potter & THBP - though I didn't think it was that good, but I do need this to complete the series.
6. District 9
7. Zombieland

There's still a few I need to see, but I don't really think any of them will warrant a purchase, with the possible exception of Sherlock Holmes. Avatar is one I certainly won't be buying.

I suspects Sherlock Holmes might be good fun as well....

Not a particularly great year for me in the Movie department (2008 was so much better), but there were a few gems here and there:

- Up
- Coraline
- District Nine
- The Hurt Locker
- Where the Wild Things Are
- Ponyo
- Watchmen: Director's Cut (DVD)
- Trick R Treat (DVD)

The best movies of 2009 were:

Moon.
Pandorum.
12 Rounds.
Looking For Eric.
Sin Nombre.
The Hurt Locker.
Harry Brown.

In my opinion. :wat:

Out of the films I got to see this year, the ones that have left a lasting impression for me are, in no real order:

District 9
Up
A Serious Man
The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus

um, that's it really, off the top of my head.

Merry Christmas folks.

Ghostcut said:
Out of the films I got to see this year, the ones that have left a lasting impression for me are, in no real order:

District 9
Up
A Serious Man
The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus

um, that's it really, off the top of my head.

Merry Christmas folks.

You've seen the Imaginarium?

Yeah, I saw it when it came out. Biggest mindf*ck ever.

The only one I know I saw in the theater this year was Star Trek, and I didn't like it much. Great year. :razz: I really wanna see Up, though.

This is a lits of the movies that I saw in theater and was entertained by.
That does not mean they are great movies, or even really my favorit for I only saw them once
and I can't base a "best movies" list on a single viewing

-AVATAR (okay/lasy story, but you can't go out of the theater without your eyeballs finaly being fucked)
-Inglorious Basterds (Maybe QT's materpiece, after all)
-District 9 (best "adult" SiFi/action movie since Aliens)
-UP (not the funiest PIXAR, but very emotional at times)
-Star Trek (hum, Star Trek trying to be Star Wars... I must admit it worked to me!)
-Terminator Salvation (many incoherences and WTF moments... but I was entertained, god knows why. Maybe because I left my Terminator's Fan's brain at home that day!)
-Le Vilain (from actor/director Albert Dupontel. A dark french comedy about a bad man who are forced to hide at his mother's house, where he never came back for 20 years.)

On a side note:
- I am very proud for I kept my word and did boycott Emerich's 2012 after the incredible mess of a movie that was 10000.BC. :p
- I could have say Harry Potter 6, but, in the end, none of the movies of this franchise, while usualy nice movies, are worth getting in a "best movies of the year" list, to me.

I'm guessin a lot of my movies aren't from 2009, but these are my Fav films I saw this year.
1) The Wrestler
2) Let The Right One In
3) Paranormal Activity
4) REC

- I suppose District 9 would be in my Top 5 but I can't see myself watching that again anytime soon.
- I would also like to give Inglourious Basterds another go as I didn't like it first time round but want to give it another chance.
- I recently bought Watchmen The Ultimate Cut so I can't say anything about that yet.
- I didn't really like the Harry Potter film too much, it was just a one note film as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah but I only saw it this year & I wanted to add a flick that wasn't an action movie or horror film. :lol:

FatherMerrin said:
I'm guessin a lot of my movies aren't from 2009, but these are my Fav films I saw this year.
1) The Wrestler
2) Let The Right One In
3) Paranormal Activity
4) REC

- I suppose District 9 would be in my Top 5 but I can't see myself watching that again anytime soon.
- I would also like to give Inglourious Basterds another go as I didn't like it first time round but want to give it another chance.
- I recently bought Watchmen The Ultimate Cut so I can't say anything about that yet.
- I didn't really like the Harry Potter film too much, it was just a one note film as far as I'm concerned.

except PA all are from last year ;) - but "Let the right one in" got shafted so hard last year it's good to hear it still getting recognized

since I'm from Austria I haven't seen most of the "oscar-baits" so i can't make a judgement over: up in the air, invictus, the hurt locker (though it is on dvd out here i still ahve to watch it), a serious man, an education

haven't seen (500) days of summer

my current list:

1) Up - i can't remember being that emotional during a movie, nothing that has come out this year has come even close to touching up's greatness and if this movie doesn't get nominated for best picture then screw the academy :D, na seriously, up is my favorite disney movie and my favorite animated movie - and one of my favorite movies. period

2) District-9: good ol' fashioned dirty sci fi, the social commentary, direction, characterization, everything was gripping and intense

3) Der Knochenmann - The Bone Man: i guess I'm one of the only people here who have seen this, it's an austrian thriller and most of the time austrian movies are inaccessibale for non-austrians, but this movie works great even if you're not a native, it's witty, funny, bizarre - it's "No country for old men" meets "Burn after reading" meets Austria

4) Drag me to hell: Sam Raimi returns! enough said

5) Inglorious Basterds: Now I haven't been a fan of the late Tarantino as I want him to improve on Jackie Brown and not give us "pulp fiction + another film classic" but despite the fact that Inglorious Basterds is "Pulp Fiction + Once upon a time in the West" it was one of the best times i had this year

6) Moon: the very definition of what science fiction should be, the conflict of individuality and how we cope with our destiny

7) Star Trek: 2009 has been a great year for sci-fi, would i make a list defined just by rewatchability and entertainment value Star Trek 09 would be on top, it's a funride rollercoaster like iron man and everything I want from a summerblockbuster + when i read about J.J. Wanting to reboot trek i thought it was impossible, not to mention that i didn't think this movie would make nr. 3 of my all time trek movies behind khan and first contact

8) The Hangover: now we won't find hangover near any list of "best of", same as drag me to hell - since awards tend to nominat "important" movies - there is a great video from Mark Kermode about this issue, but i can't find it right now. Fact is: Comedy is a genre that will always get the pass "yeah it was good, but it was not oscarworthy" - but just the fact that comedies are the movies that make us laugh - or to translate: they evoke emotional responses in so many people, even people who normally "don't cry" (translate show emotions) while watching movies - the art of making this happen on screen is the great thing about comedy - and the fact that so many people will be against it and won't find it funny, just proves how much of an art that is: comedy and horror are the toughest genres to judge objectively, since many people will see in [rec] just another zombie movie or "cheap entertainmen" or "not oscar material" while I was scared sh!tless...

9) The Boat that Rocked: the underappreciated, underrated feel good movie (comedy) of the year, if you haven't seen this movie and like comedies you have to watch this movie

10) Coraline: wow.... gaiman combined with selick... win

Actually, Paranormal Activity is technically from 2007.

I made a list at another forum, and for 2009, I listed...nothing. :x I haven't seen Up yet, but I know I'll love it.

Back
Top Bottom