• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

(fe) la vie

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • 9 stars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tagline: Michael Jackson's thoughts right before he died
original film name: Various Michael Jackson videoclips and other sources.

new film name : (fe) la vie
film studio name : Various
edit crew name : blueyoda
Date Original Film Was Released : Various
Date Edit Was Released : 11.27.2009
Original Runtime : Various
New Runtime : 27 minutes 44 seconds

Amount of time Cut/Added : Assembly from many sources

Cuts removed/added/extended : Too many.

Fanedit details :

File Size: 371 MB (or 380620 KB), duration: 0:27:44, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 76 %
Video : 348 MB, 1758 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 720*544 (4:3), XVID = XVID Mpeg-4, Supported
Audio : 22 MB, 115 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, Supported

Intention for this fanedit: To chronicle my life in the form of an extended music video. But more specifically, and the inspiration for this, the events that led to my hospitalization: my failed love story with the girl who broke my heart. Or maybe I broke my own heart. And maybe it wasn't a failure after all and things are as they were meant to be.

How intention was achieved: Using Michael Jackson's creations and adding to it my own interpretation, assembling pieces of my puzzle which even I don't understand. And I feel fine with that.

Hardware and software information:
Sony Vegas 7.0
TMPgenc 4.0 Express
Vdub
Photoshop CS3
Soundforge 8
WinFF
VideoReDo Plus
DVD Audio Extractor
DVD Decrypter
DVDFab
A couple more.

Additional Comment: This is my most intimate fanedit so far. It's my bible, the meaning of me. Every frame, every lyric, every transition, every glitch is me. It goes so far down my own rabbit hole that even I don't understand it fully and I don't think I ever will; because I am changing, learning new things about me and the universe every day so the meaning of the thing will change along every time I watch it. My friend, who is the only person to have seen it so far, has pointed out a few things in it that made me facepalm for not having understood them, even though I created the damn thing. But ultimately, it's not some artsy fartsy piece of art; it's a trashy assemblage of mostly Michael Jackson's awesome awesomeness. It's meant to make you tap your foot to the rhythm!

Time needed for the edition: Approx. 11 to 13 days, I didn't count.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This kind of very personal edit can be a little opaque to some audience.
That said it worked great to me, not only because the music is cool but also because once we understand that every main characters of each scenes are in fact the faneditor himself (in this case Blueyoda) we can follow pretty well his different states of mind and the progression from child to man.
At least that's the way I feel this edit.
To me it's a 10/10 for it's bold, original, "risky" (and not too long!)
Not sure it will work for everyone though. It's a trip.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cover art. It is meant to be printed and then folded around the disc and duct-taped / glued / whatever works best for you. Personally, I even have transparent disc holders glued in the center, covering one of flavie's eyes.

img0.gif

Here's one of mine (two variations)

img3645x.jpg

img3641.jpg

img3643g.jpg

And a B-side if you must have one:

Thanks.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
This kind of very personal edit can be a little opaque to some audience.
That said it worked great to me, not only because the music is cool but also because once we understand that every main characters of each scenes are in fact the faneditor himself (in this case Blueyoda) we can follow pretty well his different states of mind and the progression from child to man.
At least that's the way I feel this edit.
To me it's a 10/10 for it's bold, original, "risky" (and not too long!)
Not sure it will work for everyone though. It's a trip.

Coming from you, it means a lot to me. Thank you, TMBTM.

You are all welcome to tell me which part you liked / disliked best. All comments are truly welcome.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That was like watching a James Joyce novel. Utterly insane, but enjoyable. Makes me wish a paid attention during French class. Not going to give it a rating. Giving this a numerical assessment would be like dancing about football.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
due to the short running time I'll pencil this in tonight and I'll doll myself up for a date with Etienne :smile:

oh and I dig the cover art. reminds me of the highschool mixtapes I'd hand out to girls I had crushes on (in a good way)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
Not going to give it a rating. Giving this a numerical assessment would be like dancing about football.
Yes, I was a bit esitant before rating it 10/10 to be fair, because I know it's not for everyone, and I don't even know if it's for me! (as it appears to be more for Blueyoda himself).
But as you said it's enjoyable, it's technicaly good, it's meaningful beside the all the mess (and that last point was not a given). So I rated it the highest note for all of that.

But I would totaly understand someone rating this edit, let's say 5/10, cause it's a totaly new movie (sort of) so as a new movie it should be judge for what it is and not what it could have been like in some of the fanedits where we can cleary say "I would have cut this. This scene is obviously too long" etc...
Well, of course I could say that the Fiona Apple video was a bit long to me, MJ tapedancing in the street also (even if the guy is/was amazing!), like for any movies I have some issues, but I don't have any good arguments to say what should be changed or not!

It's a UFF (Unidentify Flying Fanedit) so it's difficult to point the good and the bad.
You like it, or not. It speaks to you, or not. Like a painting.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
[
It's a UFF (Unidentify Flying Fanedit) so it's difficult to point the good and the bad.

I tend to enjoy that type of stuff. films that dont always have a linear narrative and are more about feeling than thinking. uninterestingly enough most of those are found outside USA/hollywood w/ the exception of films like The Fountain.

many japanese and french films seem to follow a feeling or emotion rather than an idea or story.
...I just wish I spoke french or japanese :| :smile:

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
That was like watching a James Joyce novel. Utterly insane, but enjoyable. Makes me wish a paid attention during French class. Not going to give it a rating. Giving this a numerical assessment would be like dancing about football.

Thanks for the comment. Comparisons to James Joyce... I'll take that as huge praise thank you :smile:

Here's the (singing part) lyrics of the song - sorry I can't translate right now but maybe google can do it for you:

Calcule, spécule sur le pécule culturel
Le PQ pogne le cul de la culture
Qui jouit au bon moment
Oui moman
JE ME SOUVIENS mais je pense à demain
Car quand la contrainte m'éreinte, j'l'étreins
C'est qu'j'sais qu'la fin sanctifie les moyens

Depuis 1760 la guigne nous hante
Nous suit, nous swing sa suie
Mais j'essuierai ces cendres de glace de la face de ma race
À n'importe quel prix parce que comme dit le doyen :
« La fin sanctifie les moyens »

Heille réveille !
On t'offre de faire sortir le bateau d'la bouteille
Mais quand on largue les amarres tu restes au port
Mort à l'instar d'un vieux Lazarre
Malgré l'histoire j'ose croire en la croisée des chemins
Car je sais que la fin sanctifie les moyens

I do hope you will change your mind and rate, though. fanedit.org needs more ratings on everything!

TMBTM said:
"I would have cut this. This scene is obviously too long" etc...
Well, of course I could say that the Fiona Apple video was a bit long to me, MJ tapedancing in the street also (even if the guy is/was amazing!), like for any movies I have some issues, but I don't have any good arguments to say what should be changed or not!

These reviews are so kind. Thanks for commenting.

I can't speak for others, of course, but these "long" moments are very deliberate. I want the audience to be pulled out of the edit and reflect upon themselves. Where are their minds when these moments occur? Are they filling with impatience, waiting for the next in-your-face moment to happen? Are they appreciating the music or the image? Does it throw them back to a personnal momen of their own?

This is one of the things I like to do with my assemblies. To control, in a way, the state of mind of the audience. But in reality I have little control over where their minds are going; it would be analogous to a co-driver who's blind, telling the driver to "turn right at the next intersection". He has no clue where that will take them both but he has control of the directions.

Please give the P.T. Anderson Fiona Apple video another look, but this time pay very, very close attention to every single detail. Everything happens on screen to the rythm of the music. And I do mean everything. Take for example the two cupcakes Fiona almost gets to the face when she's sitting in a corner after the plexiglass signs get smashed. Or when she's standing up on the counter towards the end and two guys are trying to smash the counter to pieces. Pay close attention to what they are doing and how it cues perfectly to the music.

There are many other things that fascinate me about this clip and I'll expand on those ideas if anybody's curious.

Thanks and keep the comments / ratings coming.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ya-hoo blueyada has released another fanedit ;)

[youtube:2qhnuiw9]

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rebue posted on IFDB:

Funky, cosmic, and meditative.

Blueyoda's your interstellar DJ/cabbie, and be prepared for the possibility he'll drop you off somewhere other than where you left.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
neg, you poll dancer, you.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Review for 2.22 (also posted on IFDB):

So I watched this edit a few days ago. I had ZERO idea of what to expect going in. But I remembered hearing that it had gotten some high praise from people on here.

At first I was thinking to myself, "damn, is this whole edit gonna be with this bear?!" but I kept watching. Very cool to see all the films that were used in this assembly and how blueyoda connected them all.

blueyoda's choices made sense to me and this edit was an extremely enjoyable 22 minutes. I'm going to have to check out part 1.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Omaru1982 said:
FYI, it's stupposed to be a cat in that opening sequence :D

D'oh :oops:. Thanks for clearing that up Omaru. Now I look dumber than usual :p

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
depending on what drugs you take, that thing could be either a bear or cat. i'd wear a nut cup in its presence, dat fo' sure.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Damn, I remember it as a bear too.
Now I have to watch it again.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Man oh man... I got a peek at the artwork for my custom copy of (fe) la something.

bjht.jpg

Artwork by [MENTION=25720]msinkblot[/MENTION]

Top Bottom