• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Identity Denied (Version 2) by Insignia34

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 9 stars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

insignia34

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
what kind of fanedit: TF
Original film name: Identity
New film name : Identity Denied (Version 2)
Edit crew name : Insignia 34
Date Original Film Was Released : 25th of April 2003
Date Edit Was Released : 25th of November 2009
Original Runtime : 1 hour 30 min
New Runtime : 1 hour 12 min
Amount of time Cut/Added : Cut=18 min.
Cuts removed/added/extended :
This edit removes the character of mental patient Malcolm Rivers, thereby creating a very intense thriller!
Storyline is kept, but everything is for real this time around, no fantasies, just weird and scary.

Fanedit details:
Movie has custom title cards and custom end credits + custom cover and disc label.
Video: AVI=720*310 - NTSC 29,97 Fps.
Audio: Lame MP3, 56 kbits/s.
Your intention for this fanedit: To create a scary movie wich really makes you think all the time and give you the feeling of being in the twilight zone.
Your way to achieve your intention: Cut 18 minutes of mental patient Malcolm Rivers and re-arranged/edited some scenes to create a great story.
Hardware and software information: Sony Vegas Pro 8 for editing, Adobe PhotoShop for Cover Art.
Additional Comment: Imagine a very scary plot where the person behind every event is the person you least expect! Well, that´s the story of this movie!
Time needed for the edition: Planning=2 weeks, editing=about two days, re-editing=a week.
Persons involved: 1
Additional information links: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0309698/

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
gspot confirms audio at: 24000Hz 56 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo

THAT is a bad joke for audio. Seriously. Even 128kbit/sec stereo is low. 192kbit/sec is standard.

CasmirRadon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Shame about the audio. I would actually be really happy to watch this, as I thought the movie was pretty cool back when it came out, but didn't like the twist.

But... I think it needs to be uploaded with better audio first. Even if it got approved on its other merits, audio at such a low bit-rate is only appropriate for audio books.

Get a new one up and I'll watch right away though.

insignia34

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey, guys! Sorry about the audio, will get a new version ready for you with better sound!
Really thought it would sound good beacuse it did when I previewed it on my computer.
Guess this is a noob mistake on my part! :)

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This does raise some interesting questions though. I entirely agree with boon that 192 kbps is standard for AC-3 2.0, but I thought that more efficient compression formats can produce the same effect with lower bitrates.

For instance, 128 or even 96 kbps AAC 2.0 audio sounds fine to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

I have never heard of LAME MP3. If it requires the same bitrate as AC3 for the same effect, what is the point using it at all? Or is it the case that the bitrate must be the same for the same effect in all formats: the file size just ends up lower with more efficient compression?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
filesize is kbps (kilobyte per second).
I am just saying that with 192kbps you can't go wrong and will have fien audio.
tmpg suggests for mp3 224kbps.
mp4 audio standard is set by a lot of programs to 128kbps.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
filesize is kbps (kilobyte per second).

Doh! Of course it is! :? I wasn't thinking straight: it's been a busy week!

boon23 said:
I am just saying that with 192kbps you can't go wrong and will have fien audio.
tmpg suggests for mp3 224kbps.
mp4 audio standard is set by a lot of programs to 128kbps.

Thanks for the clarification. That will certainly help me in future. :)

CasmirRadon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now that there is a new version is with higher quality audio, I've finally taken the time to watch this. And was pretty pleased overall.

plot
So this is the difficult part. I liked the theatrical cut... sort of. I really feel for what Insignia34 was doing here, because the parts I hated about the original, are what he attempted to fix here. The whole twist of the movie, that everything was some contrived battle of personalities inside a mental patient's head... it doesn't work as a credible plot device, and it doesn't work as an entertaining film, at least not for me. It was extremely unsatisfying to see that all these weird events were simply an orchestrated sequence of imagination. Ultimately, there was never going to be enough left over to make an actually satisfying ending, the movie simply was not filmed that way. But, I do feel that this edit made for an interesting movie that is worth watching. It was strange, and creepy, kind of a thriller and kind of a horror movie (albeit, not really scary). I was sad to see you retained the ending twist that the little boy was responsible for everything. This was stupid in the original (and really corny the way it was filmed), and it works even worse in your edit since everything happened for real. I'm just going to pretend that this last few seconds never happened. For me the movie ended when Amanda Peet is happy in her new farming life. It is not a satisfying ending, but at least it isn't stupid. This is just a matter of taste though.
6 out of 10 stars

image quality
A good looking AVI. I occasionally noticed some weird black pixels flickering along the upper edge of the letter boxing, but they were barely visible.
8 out of 10 stars

audio quality
Sounded great to me, I have no complaints. I didn't notice a single audio transition, I'm very impressed by this.
10 out of 10 stars

overall presentation
Only released as an AVI so far. If there is any cover art yet I haven't seen it. The custom title at the beginning works OK, my only complaint is that it is a bit small and I had trouble reading the sub-title from where I was sitting. There are a couple integrated custom credits that blend in well at the end.
5 out of 10 stars

entertainment
It might not make much sense at the end, but it is an enjoyable thriller. With a running time of only 1 hour 9 minutes (plus credits), this is a very good thing, and anyone should be able to find the time to watch it.
8 out of 10 stars

I'm happy to approve this edit, although I was pretty sure I would since Boon basically already did back in October (except for the aspect ratio problems at the time).
approved.png

Top Bottom