If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Separating Sound Effects, Dialogue and Music?
(03-03-2017, 04:29 PM)Todd Merrick Novak Wrote: I'm new to this. I've really enjoyed a lot of Fan Edits and there are a lot of Star Wars edits but as far as I know, not the one I'd like to see. The first Star Wars movie is held in high regard but I don't think it has aged as well as The Empire Strikes Back. I think the main problem isn't that new material needed to be added, but that more should have been cut, not taking scenes out, but just trimming the fat. But when I think about how you do this with the score and the dialog overlapping, it's not clear to me how it can be done unless the dialog exists somewhere without the score. 

So what is the work around here? How have others handled this problem?

Thread merged with existing thread where I already gave feedback for this question to someone else. 

Also, renamed existing thread so it's easier to find since thread title originally did not describe subject.
Did you hear the joke about the high wall? It's hilarious, I'm still trying to get over it. 
Ok, so I know next to nothing about editing, but want to edit some trailers for movies that aren't out yet. Is there a way to edit the music and dialogue separately? Otherwise any edit I do is going to be horrible because of inconsistent music. Thank you.
Unfortunately, this is not likely.  Dialog and sound effects are usually present on a film's center channel while the film's score is typically found on the left and right channels.  It is only possible to rip these independent sound channels if you have the source material - DVD, BluRay, Digital Download, etc...  With a trailer, the best you're likely to get is a downmix of just Left and Right stereo that has dialog, sound effects and music all together.

Even if you wait until the BluRay comes out to edit the trailer, that might not be fruitful because the trailers included as supplement material is not always mixed in 5.1 (which allows for channel separation) and it too may be a stereo downmix (like what is on YouTube.

So, if you want to make a trailer like you're suggesting, you'll likely have to do it from scratch with the BluRay source when it becomes available.
(03-23-2017, 10:16 PM)TheRadHatter Wrote: Ok, so I know next to nothing about editing, but want to edit some trailers for movies that aren't out yet. Is there a way to edit the music and dialogue separately? Otherwise any edit I do is going to be horrible because of inconsistent music. Thank you.

Another thread with same question merged... Again.
Did you hear the joke about the high wall? It's hilarious, I'm still trying to get over it. 
You ain't seen nothing yet.

Merged threads merged into this one.
Now we're rocking! 
Even if only because the rock music is bleeding into the center channel.
(03-24-2017, 06:05 PM)TVs Frink Wrote: You ain't seen nothing yet.

Merged threads merged into this one.

Merged threads merged into this thread? A merge inside a merge inside a merge? mind =bl...merged!
Also, great info in this thread regardless, thanks!
Fine Tuning Audio on: SUPERMAN: Protector of the People
Rough Cut/Final Tweaks: 
Star Wars: Family Guy
My Ideas Sketchbook & Covers
Setup: MacBook Pro 2.6 Core i5 16GB with Adobe/FCPX/DaVinci and Wacom Intuos tablet.