• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Phantom Of The Opera : 1920s edit

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 9 stars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 stars

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
phantom.opera.square.png

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA : 1920s EDITION [480p MKV] [repost]
A very different looking version of the excellent Amazming Studio FanEdit. This new version still presents Joel Schumacher's 2004 film resynched to the original London cast 1986 recording of the musical (with Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford), but the whole film has been altered to look like an old film print from the 1920s. An homage to both the 1925 film version with Lon Chaney and to the original cast of A. Lloyd Webber's muscial, this "1920s Edition" is presented with two separate audio tracks: One featuring a remastered version of the original London cast recording in pristine quality, and one featuring that same recording in a vintage sounding "old and damaged" quality, fitting the look of this 1920s edition. Many thanks and much credits to Amazming for his original "Phantom Resynched Edit", which this edit is based on.

* The film was reframed from its cinemascope 2.35:1 ratio to an older-looking 1.33:1 full screen ratio.
* The whole film has been altered to look like a damaged film reel from the 1920s.
* Various alterations and cuts have been made to Amazming's fan edit all through the film.
* Vintage start and end credits, added Intermezzo card between Act 1 and Act 2.

Video : h264 | .mkv | 720x480 | full screen AR 1.33:1 | 29.97fps | 2.000 kb/s
Audio 1 : English Mono 1.0 "1920s" | AC3 | 640 kb/s |
Audio 2 : English Stereo 2.0 remastered | AC3 | 640 kb/s |
Runtime : 02:23:41 [original film] | 01:32:13 [1920s edition]
Size : 2.1 gb
IMDB

OPERA.png

Nice! I never got to see this one, and it totally looks up my alley. :)

Now Doc, are you planning to do something about the interlacing issue of Dancer in the Dark?

Tried to download but Jdownloader said the links in the DLC file are bad. Is there any other way to get this, or will the links be re-upped, or is there a reason its down? Sorry if I'm sounding pushy or asking too many questions! This just looks amazing, and I can't wait to watch it!

Ocarina654 said:
Tried to download but Jdownloader said the links in the DLC file are bad. Is there any other way to get this, or will the links be re-upped, or is there a reason its down? Sorry if I'm sounding pushy or asking too many questions! This just looks amazing, and I can't wait to watch it!

I'm guessing the updated .info link has yet to show up, but you can try to look for the edit in Dr. Sapirstein's blog. The link is in his signature.

Aha, that did the trick.

Also, now that I looked again, the links are in his original post... nice one on my part.
Of course, whenever I want to download a fanedit, I immediately go to fanedit.info, but the DLC file there is wrong.

Perhaps someone should look into fixing the file there?

Anyway, looking forward to watching this.

This is the movie that originally led me to Fanedit.org in spring of 2011. When I first watched Schumacher's cut in 2004, I remember discussing with friends whether it would be possible to resynch the visuals to the London cast. Someone more talented than I must have found that project worthwhile, I reasoned years later, and aggressive Googling brought me here.

It was worth the wait.

The extent to which I hated Schumacher's original cut would be difficult to overstate. By the time the movie came out, I'd realized that my adolescent affection for the musical had not come from developed tastes, but the affection remained nonetheless. I was prepared to like movie. That's not how it turned out. The lackluster vocals were bad enough, but to add insult to injury, the Phantom turns from a morally ambiguous mad genius in the musical into an incompetent petty murderer in the film. I enjoyed the visual restoration of the opera house during the overture, and not much else.

Dr. Sapirstein has given me the movie Phantom I've always wanted. The hyperbolic musical somehow feels more in place in a damaged 1920s reel than in Schumacher's lurid colors, and the effect deals gracefully with the inevitable slight mismatch between screen and sound. By using only the material shared between the movie and the London cast recording, we wind up with a tight story that keeps the best aspects of both.

My hat goes off to the faneditor for using his own damaged home movies to create the filters--anything else may have looked phony. Personally, I prefer the unfiltered audio track, and I appreciate the inclusion of both tracks on the DVD. It's a shame we lose the only visual sequence I especially liked from the original, but it probably wouldn't work through these filters, and the vintage credits are a nice touch.

Sadly, Amazming's edit, from which Dr. Sapirstein's began, doesn't seem to be available for download at this time. For Dr. Sapirstein's cut, links appear in the forum and on his site, and the Fanedit.info link should be fixed so that more people can enjoy this movie as it should have been.

Got a few requests to repost this edit, so, here it is... (April 2013)

The one thing that would have made this awesome edit even more awesome? If it had kept the masked ball sequence in (appropriately vintage-ized) color, as the original Lon Chaney classic did.

Dwight Fry said:
The one thing that would have made this awesome edit even more awesome? If it had kept the masked ball sequence in (appropriately vintage-ized) color, as the original Lon Chaney classic did.

And where were you when I didn't have this idea?
Tsss.
Arf, too late. :-|

dr.sapirstein said:
And where were you when I didn't have this idea?

A year away from first discovering the world of fanedits, I'm afraid... :-(

Back
Top Bottom