• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw this last week, I've never seen quite a mindfuck in all my days. Gilliam manages single-handedly to be about 50 times as surreal as the whole of Monty Python.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool! been wanting to see this but the chances of it being on anywhere near me is highly unlikely so im gonna have to wait for DVD or download :(

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glad to hear it's a mind fuck. Gilliam's films can sometimes loose their focus as they go on, so hopefully this film manages to hold all those ideas together.

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't wait to see it.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hell yea. Gilliam's worlds rock.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tickets booked for tomorrow - can't wait! my most anticipated movie of 2009

Energy

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know this is kinda an old topic - by a couple of weeks, but I caught this film a good few months ago.

An amazing piece of work - really, and with heath ledger appearing very foreboding considering what happened to him. If you still haven't seen this film give it a look. I can't wait to watch it again as I feel it's one of those films that slowly expands your understanding of it with multiple watches. :)

spelledaren

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw it last night, it was great. Left the theatre with a smile on my face.

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It hasn't been released here. WIll have to wait for a DVD... :-(

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched this tonight and I was kinda expecting a Lynchian/Cronenberg kinda headfuck - but actually, it's nothing like as complicated. Weird other worlds, yes, but storyline that makes linear sense in my view. Wonderful Gilliam worlds and at one point at least an ode to 'Knights of the round table' or 'I'm a lumberjack'!

If anything, watching it made me a little sad for the death of Ledger - it was clear as the film progressed and we saw less and less of him - replaced by his 'alternate versions' that he was simply dead by then.

If you're looking for it, you can work out at what stage he was gone. There's a definite entire sequence that he probably should have been in, but one clear shot of Depp in the 'real world' kinda gave it away. But as his appearance keeps changing, you don't really question it.

It's funny - the first time Depp appears in the film, initially I was looking at him thinking "Doesn't Ledger look like Depp, that's probably why they chose him...." D'oh! It was Depp.

I thought it was clever how they introduced the appearance of Farrell. Ultimately how Tony looks is derived from other's fantasies, or his own necessity to escape his true look.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. Shame. This, with The Dark Knight would have put Ledger somewhere at the top after languishing for so long.

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally caught this film last night.

Actually it wasn't half as trippy as I thought & I found it to be a perfectly linear movie with a coherent & moving storyline.

The scenes where Ledger was replaced didn't bother me at all. Like white I found myself going "So where's Depp then... o wait that's him!" so I think it was an excellent way of introducing the idea of multiple looks for Ledger's character, which considering the kind of character he was playing actually made sense I think.

But I think the real star of the film was Lily Cole. I thought for a model she put in a really good performance & was able to hold the whole film together. In a lot of ways it was her film not Heath Ledger's.

But I think everyone involved did Ledger justice & I'm glad they were able to finish it without undermining the film or Ledger's performace.

Top Bottom