• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Rocketeer (1991)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
filename_2_31.jpg

Just saw this one for the first time, and rather enjoyed it despite a somewhat slow start (forty minutes before the hero uses the jetpack? Really?). The cast was good, the flying sequences were awesome and the general vibe was upbeat and fun. Jennifer Connelly may have been a bit miscast - though definitely hot, she doesn't quite have the sort of innocence Billy Campbell does; an Elizabeth Shue-type lead might have been better. And the last scene was a huge fail - the studio wanted and was planning for sequels, so how could they not end it with Campbell being called upon to use his talents for a super-secret spy mission against the Nazis in Europe?

But while it's not always that gripping, it is pretty tightly constructed, and thus probably not all that conducive to fan editing. I suppose one could start the opening sequence with Campbell already in midair, trim some of the ensuing car chase, cut Connelly meeting W.C. Fields at the nightclub... and maybe not reveal Dalton as the villain quite so soon, though it might get pretty confusing without his and others' expository scenes.

All in all a fun flick that definitely deserves an upgrade from its 1999 feature-free DVD release.

I totally enjoyed this movie when I watched it just the one time - at the theatre way back when! LOL

Anyway... for me, Connelly is a HUGE plus in that movie.
I didn't know who she was at the time but I kept thinkin... "who's that chick with the huge tits?"

And yeah, the snuggle puppies seem to be way smaller these days :(

So I humbly disagree about the miscasting ;) but totally agree that its a fun movie to watch.

zeppelinrox said:
Anyway... for me, Connelly is a HUGE plus in that movie.
I didn't know who she was at the time but I kept thinkin... "who's that chick with the huge tits?"

Career Opportunities

I'm now seriously wondering if a "Cliff Secord: Rockeeter" edit, removing most (if not quite all) of the non-Campbell scenes, could work. Do we really need Dalton's intro in his house, before the movie shoot sequence? And the Jenny-in-Dalton's-house scene could definitely go...

Too bad the abysmal dvd transfer doesn't yet justify such an attempt... :razz:

Gaith said:
Too bad the abysmal dvd transfer doesn't yet justify such an attempt... :razz:

If you are referring to the fact that the R1 disc is non-anamorphic, you might be interested to know that the R2/R4 discs appear to be anamorphic transfers. It might be worth an import, if you are serious about the edit. :)

What about their quality? 'Cause the R1 disc looks like crap on a stick... :)

They're better than the R1, but that's not saying much. There's really no 'good' transfer available right now.

That's what I figured. Someday, perhaps...

Uncanny Antman said:
They're better than the R1, but that's not saying much. There's really no 'good' transfer available right now.

Ah, well! It was worth a try. I didn't realize they were so poor. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, Gaith. As you say, some day... :)

Awesome, awesome movie. It pretty much has everything. I only wish I could've seen it in the theater...

Uncanny Antman said:
Ripplin said:
I only wish I could've seen it in the theater...
I did. Jealous? ;)
Hmm... Sure, why not? ;) I also never saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure in the theater and it's a contender for my all-time favorite movie.

I am overjoyed. And worried that it will be region locked. C'mon Disney, don't fuck me over.

That one better get a B-release as well!

Apparently the blu-ray picture on this is quite good. There wasn't any accompanying dvd re-release, pity...

I've watched this twice already since buying it. I almost cried tears of joy at being able to watch The Rocketeer without having to resort to that awful DVD ever again. :)

One of my favourite films from my childhood, I still can't see anything to dislike in The Rocketeer! It's just... brilliant. :D

Uncanny Antman said:
I am overjoyed. And worried that it will be region locked. C'mon Disney, don't fuck me over.
Apparently you've already noticed, but it isn't locked :D I'm soooo getting this one :)

Back
Top Bottom