• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

True Blood

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished watching the first season of this and i must say: it was pretty darn good.

as a fan of vampire fiction i liked the different approach to the theme. holy water - it´s just water. vampire blood as the ultimate drug, crosses are crosses nothing more.

the interesting thing about this show (well besides the fact that they show sex quite often and without covering it with sheets. hell you´ll even get to see vampire fucking which is a little bit disturbing) is that it has interesting characters you really want to listen to and see where they are going. different to many other tv shows i saw (heroes as the best example) the characters and the dialogues are quite vivid and most of the time not boring. it is funny but far from ridiculous. The storywriting is quit mature. They don´t make it up while shooting (as seen in so many shows lately). it feels like they knew where they were headed.

and i really dig that southern redneck scenario although i need subtitles to understand them completely.

also: i am a fan of those 12 episodes season tv shows. Dexter (specially the first season) and originally prison break (first half of the first season was originally planned to be the whole thing) showed that the storytelling can be more focused without the need of filler episodes.

so...check it out. it´s good tv for you!

I concur. This show is good.

I just started watching it recently (about 3 or 4 episodes into season1). For the most part, I really enjoy it. The sex is way over the top imho. It gets a bit distracting at times, and I feel like they were thinking: "hey, its on HBO, we HAVE to put loads of gratuitous nudity in!" Also, while I love the characters and acting of Sookie and Bill, they go in and out of the bad southern accent a lot. Still, though, I love the 2 characters. My favorite though, is the gay bar cook / man-whore / town drug dealer. He is a riot!!

ThrowgnCpr said:
The sex is way over the top imho. It gets a bit distracting at times,

My favorite though, is the gay bar cook / man-whore / town drug dealer. He is a riot!!

Sold! :)

My RS Quota hates you all! :p

I wasn't sold on the show, but kept watching because everyone said that season two was even better. You know what? They were right. Season two has damn fine script writing, and interesting decisions for everyone to make. Some of the best writing for a show I've seen in many days.

As for the acting I generally find that most actors do better than Sookie/Bill, which is a little sad. On a general level it's kinda good.

ThrowgnCpr said:
The sex is way over the top imho. It gets a bit distracting at times, and I feel like they were thinking: "hey, its on HBO, we HAVE to put loads of gratuitous nudity in!"
that´s what i thought. ...and i knew you would get nomarch´s attention with that phrase... :)

My favorite though, is the gay bar cook / man-whore / town drug dealer. He is a riot!![/

Lafayette is one of the greatest characters of all time.

true-blood-lafayette.jpg

...and not just in television shows

Heinrich said:
and i knew you would get nomarch´s attention with that phrase... :)

what can i say, i like what i know and you know what i like :smile:

nOmArch said:
Heinrich said:
and i knew you would get nomarch´s attention with that phrase... :)

what can i say, i like what i know and you know what i like :smile:

...and I like that you know what you like and that you like that he knows what you like, don't you know?

It's nice that it's so hot in this series that Anna Paquin has to have her legs out all the time. :p

But also, it's so hot that apparently nobody sweats. :?

Speaking of Paquin, has anybody noticed TV land's latest trend of putting thin, pretty Aussie/Kiwi blondes in leading roles?

Anna Paquin
Yvonne Strahovski (Chuck) :razz:
Anna Torv (Fringe)
Dichen Lachman (Dollhouse)

white43 said:
It's nice that it's so hot in this series that Anna Paquin has to have her legs out all the time. :p

thats all I needed to hear. :)
nudity or not, I'll watch just about anything w/ the lovely Anna.

elbarto1 said:
white43 said:

thats all I needed to hear. :)
nudity or not, I'll watch just about anything w/ the lovely Anna.

I just watched episode 7. Anna's boobies are on display....... :D

white43 said:
I just watched episode 7. Anna's boobies are on display....... :D

[youtubewide:17zw6qwt]

With a possible exception of the very end of the second season, I prefer the first season to the second by a wide margin. But the first season was great stuff. Intelligent trash at its best.

I also like the hatred the series has towards well-off hippies. Both Amy and Maryann are both too awful for words. And hilarious (Amy at least).

I just watched the first 2 episodes of the 1st season last night and unless the show takes a nosedive, I am already hooked.
funny because I normally dont care for 90% of vampire stories, and the vampire/human love story seems really similar to twilight (from what I saw of thew previews) but not all teen-queer'd. I normally dont judge things w/o first hand experience but twilight looks like rubbish on the same scale as the jonas brothers.

oh, I forgot - my favorite parts so far are the little details that flesh out the world they live in. The TV news clips about vamps being "out of the coffin" etc. its nice when a whole fictional world is realized through the minute details that we'd see if it were fact. Nice job there. also the opening credits are phenomenal. I was in awe just by their editing alone.

6 episodes in and I am still deeply intrigued.
I most enjoyed the civil war flashbacks however brief.
I hope theres more Bill Compton backstory to come.
This has jumped up to be one of my favorite shows though. Big thanks for the recommendation!

Agreed Elbarto - I'm at episode 11. Liking it very much. Like how each episode ends on almost a cliffhangar so you need to watch next week to see the conclusion.

Have you reached 'vampire justice' yet? Consequences of killing another vampire? That Eric is a 'sheriff' and all? It's a original take on the 'vampire nation'.

Anna Paquin always has her legs out. :p

I just finished season 1 last night, what a weak finale.
I am only really concerned about one person at the moment. IMO there were many better episodes than ep 12.

It was. Season 2 is pretty good so far.

I am 4 episodes into season 2 and while I like that they are showing more of the world they live in, overall I am less captivated than I was in season 1.

I am very interested to find out just what is up with the Admiral of the Pegasus though ;)

so.... true blood season 3 is there!

do i like it so far? hell yeah!

it´s not quit clear where they want to go this time but i don´t care. i think the first two episodes already had some very nice character moments. i especially liked that thing between tara and lafayette. and jason is a great dumb brother.

storywise:
[spoiler:2rabk6ma]vampires in the ss? secret nazi werewolfs? holy fucking shit! i´m sold![/spoiler:2rabk6ma]

could it be that they took back the amount of sex we get to see? is this good or bad?

good show!

Back
Top Bottom