• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Union [2008]

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
whether or not you use marijuana, this is a great doc about the politics of prohibition and why the USA will not legalize it.
[youtube:x30xpceq]
[youtube:x30xpceq]

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Marijuana prohibition has to be the stupidest thing going on in America. I don't smoke the stuff (anymore?), but I still want to see at least a decriminalization of it. It's a huge suck on the taxpayers, with no real benefit to anyone.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
Marijuana prohibition has to be the stupidest thing going on in America. I don't smoke the stuff (anymore?), but I still want to see at least a decriminalization of it. It's a huge suck on the taxpayers, with no real benefit to anyone.

but there is a benefit, just not to the people. I highly recommend you (and everyone else) watch the doc. decriminalization and even legalization seems like a no brainer, until you take a look at who gains from the current prohibition.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think you misread me. There is no benefit, to the citizens of this country, to have prohibition of marijuana. You don't need to convince me. :grin:

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I fully agree w/ that statement and dont wish to 'convince you of anything' but people do indeed benefit from the prohibition otherwise there wouldnt be any reason to not legalize.

the ones who benefit are:
the law enforcement agencies - who's budgets are fueled by the 'war on drugs'.
the prison shareholders - who make money by maintaining a heavy influx of drug related arrests. the drug dealers - who make an astronomical profit on a natural commodity.
pharmaceutical companies - who dont want you growing your own pain medication so they can sell you prescription pills.

I agree the prohibition is stupid and perpetuates a negative cycle that benefits few, but there is a reason why. As always, there is an agenda.

and now I sound like a crazy. :razz:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While it's true that those groups profit from prohibition, it's not as though the status quo is maintained in order to help the dealers. And many law enforcement groups are against prohibition, or at least decriminalizing possession in small quantities.

The biggest obstacle to reform by far is the one-two punch of ignorance and cowardice. Most voting publics think that prohibition is a good thing, and most politicians don't want to be hammered by their opponents as soft on crime/pro-drugs, etc.

Governor Schwarzenegger's support for a debate on the matter, however, might give us cause for hope...

Anyway, I never used the stuff, not sure if I ever will.

Top Bottom