• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Gamer

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Went and took one for the team.
One word: SKIP IT
Yes i know that's two words. don't blame me, this film did sumthing to my brain.
The film is laugh out loud bad.

[spoiler:1qudb8wk]Their idea of gaming is an interface that is always jump-cutting with video static and audio whooshes.
Kable walks by a fence, it whooshes. He turns his head, it whooshes. He looks up... whoosh.

it's like some executive's idea of what internet gaming would be if this film was made in the 80's.
It even has (and I shit you not) a sequence with ludicrus thats is edited identically as in the 80's futuristic TV icon
MAX HEADROOM. You know the style. Were the scene jump-cuts and repeats-repeats rep-rep-rep-rep-rep-repeats.

The game itself is not even clear. who are they fighting? are there teams or is everyone for himself?

The good guys are an underground group know as HUMANZ (don't know what the Z at the end stands for. maybe bad grammar?)
They are led by Ludicrus. But of course the script never bothers to give him a back story. who is he?
where does he come from? His secret headquarters are in what appears to be an old pool hall decorated with
old video games like Galaga and Asteroids. They're retro!
The kid that's playing Kable is A RICH KID. Does he have a life? we never see a mother or father or even a friend.
no butler to clean his room, no snack brought up by the french maid. hell we don't even see his house.

Next thing that's bad is that (and this is a trend with hollywood films) they have to spell everything out.
Over and over and over again. S.P.E.L.L.I.T.O.U.T (THIS IS WHATS HAPPENING SEE?). We are doing this.

It also has real contempt for anyone who is a gamer because they are all portrayed as either morbidly-obese perverts,
spoiled-rotten rich brats or sexually deviant.

The climax itself is brilliant in how it negates the entire film.
The evil genius has invented a virus that he uses to control people's minds and what does he do with it?
he creates a reality tv show for profit. Huh? really? that's your idea of what to do with a mind control device?

Of course the villain never watched THE INCREDIBLES otherwise he wouldn't have started MONOLOGING.
We are given no reason why Kable is able to stick it to him other than a shot of the fearless TV reporter
(hahahahahahahahhaha... yes, that's right: a fearless tv reporter....hahahahahahahhahaha...)
punchin sumthing up on what appears to be an ATM and riding off with the last surviving hacker.[/spoiler:1qudb8wk]
The leads are all great. they manage to pull something off with what little the script gives them.
Maybe Gerard Butler will have better luck with his next one. BUT Please don't waste your money on this one.
(I know most of youse wouldn't have bothered and to tell you the truth I'm surprised I did.)

Fanediting Possibilities? Sure.
But why bother? :p

damn i was quite looking forward to this but oh dear from your synopsis it looks horrible :(

nOmArch said:
damn i was quite looking forward to this but oh dear from your synopsis it looks horrible :(
Yeah but don't forget the source. Apparently i hate everything. :D

watched this turd last night. interesting concept that degrades into nonsense and pisspoor acting by everyone except king leonidas.
put it on your shelf in the "good idea/failed execution" films like babylon a.d. and avp.

on a side note - i really wish someone would remake or spinoff "the running man" into a good film. this one tried but the end result is a lowbrow pile of crap that feels like a half hour of material was lopped off.

on another side note, this film does possibly have fanedit potential but more for scene mining rather than a TFE. The production values are high and the action was cool but the story and villian are garbage.

I didn't think it was that bad. Compared to similar movies it is probably at the higher end. It's certainly better than the other movies by the same director (perhaps because of Butler). Was it ridiculous? Yes. Were the characters stupid? Yes. Was it entertaining? Somewhat.

The action was pretty good, and Butler is easy to root for. I'd give it a 5.5, maybe 6 out of 10.

I'd give it a 5 - while mediocre its still a lousy review IMO.
the concept was cool - especially the sims/home parody. the story (and any subsequent emotional attachment to the characters) felt truncated and hacked to pieces in favor of action and a lame bad guy's actions/motive.

Back
Top Bottom