• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

29.97fps to 23.976fps

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This should come in handy to quite a few of you. As you probably know, almost all NTSC movies are actually created as 23.976frames per second and are pulled down to 29.97 for DVD standard.
Now when you work with such a thing it can happen not too rarely that you have interlacing and blending effects because of that. To reverse the process of pulldown flags this is what you do:
1. launch dgpulldown (freeware)
2. leave settings unharmed (top field first, set time code marked)
3. custom 23.976 --> 23.976
4. convert

dgpulldown will remove the pulldown flags and create a true 23.976fps source for you that is full progressive (if the source was progressive in the first place that is).

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice to have new tips. But what prompted this?
seems to come out of nowhere.
did something happen?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was probably asking foolish questions again. :smile: I asked something very similar a little while ago.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
This is a handy tip, boon. Is no. 3 a typo?
no typo. dgpulldown cannot go down with the fps. 23.976 to 23.976 is correct. It's a special custom setting and I just recently found out about it.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah! I see. It does sound odd though. :) Thanks for the tip. I'm sure it will come in useful.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When I follow this procedure, the resulting file is longer than the original by approximately 10 seconds. Is this normal? It doesn't seem right to me, as the video is now sticking out beyond the audio. I followed the procedure exactly and have double checked.

(Sorry for a double post, but if you just edit, it doesn't seem like anything new has been posted.)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
if that is the case, dgpulldown could not properly identify and remove the pulldown flags or the source did not have pulldown flags to start with.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The original was definitely 29.97 fps so that leaves the former option. Thanks for your reply, boon. :) I appreciate it.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
When I follow this procedure, the resulting file is longer than the original by approximately 10 seconds. It doesn't seem right to me, as the video is now sticking out beyond the audio.

I just finally worked out what the problem was! I ran my m2v through Womble's GOP fixer after ripping the disc; then I applied Boon's method. I had the same discrepancy with the length, but after I ran my new file through Womble's GOP fixer again it lined up perfectly with just one frame's difference in length.

So, basically all I had to use the GOP fixer before and after Boon's method. Doh! :oops: This is really going to sort some of my editing problems out.

Thanks for the tip again, Boon. :) I take it that when you say the file is now progressive DGPulldown has deinterlaced it too?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
not really.
If the source was interlaced before being pulled down to 29.97 it will still be interlaced.
But usually that is not the case and I was referring to that. The pulldown form 23.976 to 29.97 causes interlacing. This interlacing gets removed, when the puldlown flags are removed.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread...rise from your grave!!!

So how do I know if I need to do this?  And what would happen if I did it and it wasn't necessary?

Asking for a friend. ;)

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You don't need to do it.  My HCenc guide has instructions for using TIVTC to remove pulldown.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So it takes care of it at the end during encoding, rather than doing it on the source prior to editing?

Second question is still outstanding.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
So it takes care of it at the end during encoding, rather than doing it on the source prior to editing?

No.  You do it prior to editing. It's just in the FAQ of my guide because it was a convenient place to put it.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Your answers are confusing me.  The question isn't if I should use dgcpulldown or something different, it's how do I know if I need to remove pulldown flags or not and what happens if I do it when I don't need to.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Thread...rise from your grave!!!
Frink,  could this be your reference?

Can't thank you enough for this this and other awesome guides!

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, that's the reference...but who are you thanking?  I had nothing to do with this or any other guide.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's guide, perhaps?

417690111DSC_9847SmilingMonkeyCROP.jpg

Top Bottom