• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Happy Valentines Day - My Bloody Valentine (2009) VER 2

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
type of edit true fan edit
name My Bloody Valentine (2009)
new film name Happy Valentines Day (ver 2)
original run time 101 mins
new runtime 82 mins and 81 mins
editor Tranzor

I think many were fooled into thinking that the remake for My Bloody Valentine was going to be a true slasher film like its predecessor from 1981. Though marketed as a slasher film, when I finished viewing it I realized that the directors made a good old whodunit murder mystery thriller which was quietly wrapped in a slasher film container due to some of the graphic kill scenes and language. I believe this is why it bombed out with many people. This did not have the same take and feel as a true slasher film. Despite it being a remake, this has an entirely other focus using characters from the first version.

This edit has been in limbo for a number of months and only recently did I decide to finish it. I wanted to bring out the mystery factor and make it resemble such a film. The acting in this is really pretty decent. Technically, it was all pretty believable to a degree.

One of the things I noticed is that if I could remove the score/soundtrack music this would add more suspense and tension as well as making the film a bit more realistic (and again the decent acting skills in this helped tremendously). I also took note that it would work very well and give you a possibly unhinged cold feeling if I made this in black and white like how most mysteries of yesteryear were presented.

We now have the following: You have a whodunit mystery film in a high contrast black and white (to greatly play with shadow) with a minor old film filter added in and a soundtrack that is almost devoid of any music. This all gives the viewer a tension filled, suspenseful mystery thriller

NOTE:
Due to the process used, some of the scenes will have minor music cues or just faintly be heard (however some scenes I did add in music for you to hear). I wanted it this way because this is a film where I wanted the actors to give the thrill for a scene and not let the music dictate where such a scene would occur normally. Though I like the score, this is one film where it works better without anything (or as close to it as possible). Now the music plays second role to the actors (instead of the other way around) and being so subtle in the background that you can fully enjoy this tale and possibly getting a true fright or two without the help of music letting you know it is coming. The music that was left after this process does fit in well and worked towards this edit's overall intention.

additional comment:
Version 2: fixes two sound errors (one I missed and the other the edit app screwed on the final disc because it was fine on the pre final test edition. Thanks to CasmirRadon for pointing these out)

re-scored music
1. Over dubbed in eerie wind when Tom drives back to the mine and is over looking it from the hill. I also briefly mixed this in with the regular film audio

2. The scene with Tom driving oer the bridege right after the scene above was over dubbed with a piece of score music from the film Doomsday

3. Added back in a song playing softly in the background during the scene at the bar when Tom has some altercations with the locals. The song was "Ode to Harry Warden" and was actually the theme song from the first My Bloody Valentine film (1981)

4. Both endings feature part of the score music from the film "Haunting of Julia", aka "Full circle", 1977

what you get
1. Film in a high contrast black and white (great shadow effect) with minor old film noise
added in.
2. Alternate opening to the film
3. 21 minutes removed to help keep the whodunit factor going until the end as well
as trimming unneeded scenes for pacing and some gore (not all)
4. Two endings for the film that you can choose from
5. Soundtrack almost devoid of any music to bring out the realism and tension as
well as suspense
6. Some scenes slightly re-scored
7. Very minor (and very few) transitions added here and there

dvd tech
ntsc, single layer, dvd rom with cover art

24xe8n6.jpg

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actually really liked the remake and bought it on Blu-Ray right when it was released. When I had heard that there were going to be deleted/extended scenes I thought about making an extended cut of the film but after rewatching the movie the other day and then watching the deleted scenes I decided not to extend it because I didn't really think the new scenes added anything to the movie. What you've done here sounds very interesting and I'm looking forward to giving it a look.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
when this remake finally hit the screens I heard nothing but complaints on how bad it was. My friend showed my the dvd and I was suprised on how much I enjoyed the film and was wondering just what the people were complaining about?

I then went out and bought the dvd. For records sake this is the 2d version. For those of you that might rent the original down the road and if it does not have the glasses with it, the 3d on the dvd was set for a greenish/red combo, however the red/blue works on it just fine

When I was watching the film I noticed how this was really more so a graphic mystery movie set around a small mining town and hecne this edit was put in motion a few months ago

Hope you enjoy it

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Like every horror remake, fans of the originals get pissed that they're being remade. I can certainly understand that. I felt the same way when I heard that they were remaking Halloween, Friday The 13th and A Nightmare On Elm Street, but I still go and see them because I'm still willing to give them a shot. In a sense these are really fan edits of a most extreme nature. I had never seen the original My Bloody Valentine but after seeing the remake I went out and bought the new edition of the original when it was released, actually I know a place that sometimes puts out movies early so I hit them up and they had it out a week before it was due to be released. I really enjoyed the original but I thought they did a great job with the remake.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Like every horror remake, fans of the originals get pissed that they're being remade. I can certainly understand that. I felt the same way when I heard that they were remaking Halloween, Friday The 13th and A Nightmare On Elm Street, but I still go and see them because I'm still willing to give them a shot. In a sense these are really fan edits of a most extreme nature. I had never seen the original My Bloody Valentine but after seeing the remake I went out and bought the new edition of the original when it was released, actually I know a place that sometimes puts out movies early so I hit them up and they had it out a week before it was due to be released. I really enjoyed the original but I thought they did a great job with the remake.

I did too

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
doing a ver 2 to fix two minor sound glitches. One was something i just missed but the other is a screw up from the editor not shifting the sound when I moved some video

fixing both of these and in about two days it will be available again--

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ver 2 completed available within a day or so

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
version 2 up and details should be on the site later today

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Happy Valentines Day by Tranzor

review by boon23

Prologue:
I hated the original remake (and have never watched the original). It is one of those total disappointments for me, which I switched off after about 10 minutes. So I actually don't know much about it, besides that I found it boring, stupid, superficial. When Tranzor presented his fanedit I was very surprised by his choice, yet his take seemed to suggest that I had missed something and I found his entire idea intriguing.
This fanedit is pretty hard to review for me, because it contains a lot that was interesting, while the overall experience still was much like what led me to quit the first time. Alas, this time I watched it until the very end(s).

As for all my reviews: this is just my personal opinion of this fanedit. I cannot tell anybody else, if he or she will experience it in the same way or the opposite. So my review is not objective and does not reflect the opinion of fanedit.org.

!!!!This review contains heavy spoilers!!!

The edit:
The good:
Tranzor's idea of making it a whodunit movie worked really well. Until the very end I was not aware, who the killer was.
The high contrasted black and white with dust and flickering worked well for this movie and added some atmosphere to it. Not by letting it appear old, but by letting it appear cheaper.
In most cases the disappearance of the score worked really in favor of the movie.
The middle part was good and I was kind of thrilled.
The fanedit is well cut, there are no hard cuts in audio and the plot is well developed. The great effort shows.
Seamless branching was very well done. The 2 endings option totally adds to the overall experience.

The bad:
It's still a stupid, superficial and boring movie IMO. The plot is predictable, the kills are not thrilling, always to show-off with special effects and ultra-violence. The hunts make me yawn and there are way too many impossibilities (like running from one end of a big building to the other in a few seconds).

And the ugly:
If you listen with headphones, you still hear a lot of suppressed score. There are a lot of sound effects missing, which makes several scenes sound awkward (for example the scene in the store, when the 2 women obviously hear a sound, but the audience does not).
The flickering was a bit irritating at times.

So, while this edit shows a lot of technical know-how and is a VERY interesting experiment, it unfortunately fails for me int he entertainment sector still completely. I do believe that Tranzor made this movie 100% better than the original, but that still does not make it any kind of good for me.
There are a few not well done audio flaws, where sound effects were missing and should have been added.

editing: 10 of 10 (very well edited movie with a lot of effort and expertise))
entertainment: 4 of 10 (original 1 of 10. I give it a 4 because I was really entertained by the middle section of the movie)

Image and video quality:

Image and video quality were good. The high contrast was well executed and worked really well for this movie. Some flickering was annoying, because it took me out of the movie).
Video quality: 9 of 10

Audio editing and audio quality:
While the audio experiment is a wonderful and very daring one, the execution was not so well. With headphones there is a lot of suppressed score still there and sound effects are missing, making the audio sound very flat or even wrong at times.
There were no hard audio cuts.
audio editing: 10 of 10
sound quality: 4 of 10
resulting in a 7 of 10 for overall audio

presentation:
The DVD comes with still menus with audio and nice pickax buttons. It has 2 selectable endings, very well done through seamless branching. There are no chapters menus. The about menu is weak and could have contained more info. The fanedit comes with a cheap looking but overall fitting cover art and no disc art.
To sum it up:
The seamless branching is definitely an over average thing, while the rest is very simply executed and could have been done with more effort. Still, a lot better than the usual fanedit presentation.
resulting in a 7 of 10 for overall presentation

Final result: 7 of 10
an interesting fanedit, still not so much an interesting movie.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review. Yes it was impossible to remove the score completely, still though in my ears what little of it was left seemed to work fine. I did not notice really any effects missing, (or ones subtle enough that I did not need to add them back in) but I know it was not perfect. I used my regular stereo (pc) and tv speakers for review and making it louder when something did not seem right to hear what is going on. It is hard for me to listen to it through headphones unless I want to go deaf. Either way you seemed to have enjoyed it more than the original and that is the least I can ask for.

Top Bottom