• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Training Day [2001]

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spoilers herein! :)

Just saw it for the first time. A pretty good movie, but the formulaic martyrdom-by-gunfire finale left a bad taste in my mouth - up until then, it's pretty much all character, thoughts, mind games... and ends with the antihero's guts spilling out.

Hitchcock would have known how to end it. We started with Ethan Hawke's character, and stayed with him the whole movie, so to show Denzel's death - which Hawke isn't anywhere near - is a fundamental error, a betrayal of the whole narrative angle of the film. It should have ended with Hawke walking away from Denzel and the thugs surrounding him. "Hoyt! Hoyt!" Denzel yells. Keep on Hawke walking. Cut to black. A gunshot. In his driveway, Hawke gets out of Denzel's car, and walks into his house. (This would be similar in ways to the Notorious finale, except with the good guy walking home.)

Since this would only subtract two or three minutes of film time, I'm not sure a fan edit, which could also trim some of the over-the-top Hawke-vs.-Denzel fistfight, would be sufficiently unlike the original to qualify as a True fan edit - more of a custom dvd. But it would certainly be feasible, and one of the gang-bangers shooting Denzel is more plausible, IMO, than all those tens of people just walking away from an incredibly tense encounter with a charismatic guy who's just been shot in the ass. Either way, it'll be a long while before I feel like watching it again. Maybe never. But I did enjoy most of it while it lasted.

Top Bottom