• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Indecent Proposal : Divorce Edition by Metrostar

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Indecent Proposal : Divorce Edition
by Metrostar

What kind of fanedit? : = True Fanedit

Tagline : A husband. A wife. A millionaire. A proposal. A different ending.

Original film name : Indecent Proposal
New film name : Indecent proposal: Divorce Edition.
Film studio name : Paramount
Edit crew name : Metrostar
Date Original Film Was Released : 14th May 1993
Date Edit Was Released : 2nd August 2009
Original Runtime :112 MINUTES
New Runtime : 92 MINUTES
Amount of time Cut/Added : 20 minutes

Cuts removed/added/extended :

1. Cut opening scenes/voiceovers on pier with David and on bus with Diana.
2. Added music from soundtrack cd to opening titles.
3. Cut shot of stove without underpants.
4. Cut Diana saying "I love you, even without the money" and subsequent sex-scene and David looking at Diana while she sleeps.
5. Cut David and Diana embracing in hotel room paid for by Gage.
6. Cut Diana saying "He'd tell you to go to hell" and Gage saying "I didn't hear him say that." in pool game/proposal scene.
7. Cut David and Diana in bed talking about past lovers.
8. Cut all of Davids scenes showing what was happening to him while Diana was with Gage.
9. Cut Diana in the bathroom on the boat putting lipstick on.
10. Cut man in restaurant with food all over his jacket saying "I'm taking it off."
11. Cut Diana saying "I hate him" in fight with David at their home.
12. Cut some of Diana crying in paper chair.
13. Cut Jeremy on exercise bike saying "Hi Di" and David saying he's not there, Diana saying she doesn't want to talk to David and Jeremy telling Diana that she and David love each other and need to work it out.
14. Cut David taking shoes off table and picking towel off floor.
15. Cut Gage fooling around in foreign student class.
16. Removed audio of Gage saying "Nice people, they want the american dream" and Diana replying "They saw it in the flesh tonight" as they walk from foreign student class.
17. Cut David saying "Do you wanna know a secret, we're invincible" to Gage in the rain outside restaurant.
18. Cut Mr Shackleford seeing the ripped up photos of Diana taped back together and stuck on wall, after dumping David on the couch.
19. Cut everything after David signs the divorce papers.
20. Added new song to closing credits. "Life Ain't Always Beautiful" by Gary Allan now plays instead of "A Love So Beautiful" by Roy Orbison.

Fanedit details :

Video Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Codec ID : XVID
Duration : 1h 32mn
Bit rate : 1210 Kbps
Width : 704 pixels
Height : 400 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.172
Stream size : 801 MiB (79%)

Audio Format : MPEG Audio
Format profile : Layer 3
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Duration : 1h 32mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 320 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 212 MiB (21%)

Intention for this fan edit : I wanted to reach a more realistic conclusion to what happens when you let your beautiful wife sleep with a rich man. I wanted to give the whole movie a more serious tone and do something about the dated interior furnishings and clothing fashions.

Way to reach intention: I removed scenes/audio that alluded to or spoke about David and Diana being an 'invincibile' couple, and I removed everything after David signs the divorce papers. I cut the cheesy sex scene with music by Sade and I changed the whole movie from color to black and white.

Hardware and software information : Converted the DVD to Xvid with DVD Fab 5. Edited the video with Avidemux. Edited the audio with Cool Edit Pro 2. Used Sub Station Alpha to overlay a title in opening credits.

Additional Comment : I originally edited (chopped) this movie in May 1997 after it aired on TV. I used two VHS recorders to remove two scenes and the ending and I called it "The Viewers Cut" and it was just for personal use. I still have the tape of this version.

Time needed for the edition :
A few mornings over a few weeks in July 2009.

Persons involved : Metrostar.

available through MU on fanedit.info in the "unapproved" section.

boon23 said:
3. Cut shot of stove without underpants.

Yeah, I wish my stove wouldn't hang around in the kitchen without its underpants. It's SO unhygienic.

I was going to leave it in, but I just wanted to say 'stove' and 'underpants' in the same sentence. :razz:

I saw Indecent Proposal years ago and didn't care for it at all. It seemed like an interesting subject cheapened down by an overly-Hollywoodized approach helmed by a hack, featuring phoned-in performances and moving at a sluggish pace. The best thing about it is the fact that it spawned one of the most memorable Simpsons episodes. But, the second best thing about it might very well be this recut version.

Plot: Consistent (or as consistent as the original script allowed), with no holes created by the edit. Now it's overall still contrived, but much more believable. In some moments, the characters even feel like human beings and not Hollywood clichés (in others, they're still awful, but no solution for that). Stopping where it does, this version is much darker and almost completely devoid of movie cheese, so it works much better than the original "love conquers all" garbage. The characters are still despicable (Gage a vomitive sexist asking David permission for things about Diana, the couple obnoxious snobs), but this version isn't trying as hard to force us to like them. Which is grateful. Still, I think that AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL sequence with Jeremy the lawyer and the two screenwriters should disappear. It adds nothing, is not narratively needed, and cheapens the overall movie. Rating: 9/10.

Image quality: This is only available as an .avi file, and the technical info indicates the source was a divx (which means compressed), and that's too bad. Blocking/pixelation is present all through it, particularly whenever a dark hue dominates the frame. Not too unusual for a xvid file, but it's too bad we aren't getting a DVD. The B&W conversion does not create great visuals, sometimes it's more like ugly washed-out grey on grey, yet it's competent and works. Rating: 6/10

Audio quality: Again, this can't be judged against the standards of a DVD, but I noticed no mistakes or level errors whatsoever when watching it on a 2.0 system. Maybe a 5.1 would reveal further details, but so far, rating: 10/10.

Difference to the original: As I say, less Hollywood corn and more serious drama. Which improves things a lot. Still a bad movie, right, but that can't be fixed. Rating: 8/10.

Overall presentation: Only the .avi, which is too little and too bad for such a well made edit. Rating: 5/10.

Entertainment: Much higher level than the original could ever dreamed. Rating: 8/10.

Technical editing: FLAWLESS in audio and video, except maybe for one very slight jump at 0:46:32, in which there appear to be one or two missing frames. Still, it's hard to spot and it even may be a flaw of the original, I have seen way more noticeable hard cuts within the same shot in theatrically released movies (there are two particularly ugly ones in the James Bond film Never Say Never Again). Rating: 9/10.

Overall rating: 8/0. So it gets

approved.png

BUT, to the faneditor: please consider releasing a DVD, much preferably if it's a 2.0 version in which the screenwriters sequence is nowhere to be seen!

So this should finally be moving from Unapproved over to the edit list proper any time now? Metro, you've certainly waited long enough. :)

Thanks guys. MUCH appreciated. I do of course have the DVD and will be doing a DVD version soon. When I made the edit, My computer was a very low spec one and that is why I did it in AVI. I now have a much more powerful machine. However, it is currently on a ship crossing the Atlantic(!) and I wont have it for a few more weeks.

I also do not have internet yet, and am currently sitting in the car borrowing the local church's wi-fi. I will take another look at that scene with the screenwriters and see if I can lose it.

Thanks again!

Metrostar said:
I do of course have the DVD and will be doing a DVD version soon.
Great news! :smile:
Metrostar said:
I will take another look at that scene with the screenwriters and see if I can lose it.
Even greater news! :grin:

A little embarrassed that I haven't done this yet, but I took delivery of an NTSC version of the DVD a couple of days ago (Any offers for the PAL version? Lol.) and I really am gonna get cracking with a DVD version of this fanedit. I just can't move forward with this hanging over me!

VOB2MPG is running now as I type....

Great news, Metrostar! That's an edit that deserves to be rediscovered.

Now, will you kill the screenwriters scene? Please?

Pleased to report that i just finished making the cuts to the video. As I went through it, I examined it more closely and am still happy with how I did it the first time. With the exception of the screenwriters scene, which has now gone. I agree, it had to go.

Working on this tonight reminded me what a bastard the audio was to edit, but I think I will be able to finish it by the end of next week. The audio, that is.

I also looked at the conversion to black and white and while some scenes looked pretty good in version one, others looked a bit naff. I'll be trying to make the black and white look much better for this DVD version.

Anyway. I thought I would post an update.

Great! I hope this edit gets the popularity it deserves this time around. It's that good. :)

Finished the audio today. Ugh! Working two nights a week for a couple of hours at a time and having a house guest staying for a week where my computer is, really makes things happen slowly.

Now the tricky part. I am going to have to learn how to make a 'proper' DVD with a menu and bonus features. I'd like to say that wont take long, but my room mates Dad is coming to stay again, so I've no idea when I can work on it.

Procrastination:

So the edit is finished. I had to go back and redo some of the audio because Cool edit didn't save properly (or I didn't). But anyway, The main movie is all done and i love it. I spent much more time on the audio this time around and it's way better, EVEN THOUGH it was pretty good for the avi I released ages ago.

So, I went ahead and bought DVD Lab Pro. UGH! I hate learning new software. So I started putting the deleted scenes together instead. I'm gonna do a commentary track over the deleted scenes for 20 minutes. I'm kinda looking forward to that and it's easier than learning how to author a DVD...

So, I wanted my DVD to be feature-rich and always intended to make a trailer for the fanedit. So guess what? Instead of learning how to use DVD Lab Pro, I started work on the trailer tonight!

How many features can you cram into a DVD before you actually learn to make one?

If anyone wants to chip in at this point and help me get started on learning to use DVD Lab Pro, now would be a good time!

My first problem is knowing what exactly to export from Adobe Premiere? I'm assuming Mpeg-DVD, but what quality and what output size am I aiming for? baring in mind I want to put the movie, the deleted scenes and the trailer on it at the same quality.

I need a friend. :cry:

Metrostar said:
If anyone wants to chip in at this point and help me get started on learning to use DVD Lab Pro, now would be a good time!

I need a friend. :cry:

Help is on the way my friend! I use DVD Lab Pro for compiling my DVDs with proper menus etc. I'll draft up a PM later today and send it your way!

*A quick answer to one of your questions. I have no experience or familiarity with Adobe Premiere but as far as what you're going to want to export to put to import into DVD Lab Pro are the elementary streams (video stream - m2v; audio stream - AC3,or PCM). For all video content that you plan on putting on the DVD you need them in their separate elementary stream form.*

Thanks Gatos, I got your PM's. :)

And Neglify, how did you know that's one of my favorite movies!? Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom