• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

VHS to Mac?

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was wondering if anyone can help: I recently purchased a Macbook Pro (15" Unibody http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features.html) and was wondering if there is a way of capturing old VHS (PAL) tapes onto it, and what kind of software/equipment I would need. For example, would I need a purpose build VHS deck for transfer, or would a regular one do?

Thanks for your help (And sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere and I've missed it)

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm pretty sure there's no real video input on the Macbooks, so you would need some kind of external capture device. There are plenty of those around. My advice is to search at more specific video sites like mac forums and even videohelp.com.

A regular VHS deck should be enough, as long as it can output a decent signal. S-Video is okay (although there might be better solutions I don't know about). Connect the S-Video cable from the VHS to the capture device, and the device to the computer with Firewire or USB. There are several apps that might be able to capture the video, including imovie and maybe MpegStreamClip.

The easiest solution, however, is using a standard standalone DVD-video recorder. Connect the VHS deck to the DVD recorder and record. Since it's a lossy process, though, I wouldn't recommend it if you're going to edit it after the capture. If it's the end product it should be fine.

Type12point

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually, I purchased a DVD recorder for 90 bucks for this very reason. I had tons of purchased VHS tapes that I wanted to continue to use, mostly old movies. Heck, I'd already bought them.

I found the transfer process not that bad actually, though definitely the fact most were black and white figured into my success. I don't remember which wires I used (probably S-video) and I set the DVD Recorder to its shortest running time/highest input.

I think if you dug around you could find a recorder cheap. What with the rise of PVR/DVRs.

Rustyn Birch

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can anyone suggest a good capture interface? I was using a Hollywood Dazzle but I'm having issues with the new iMovie and the fact that Apple phased out firewire 400.
thanks, Rustyn

Top Bottom