• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars OT on CED

Jono11

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm posting this in two separate forums, not trying to post-whore, just need a quick answer and didn't know where to ask: has the Star Wars original trilogy on CED been preserved yet? The differences to the theatrical release are that they are fullscreen, time-compressed by three minutes, and depending on the year of release, it's missing the C-3PO line about the tractor beam couplings.

There are some pretty cheap opportunities to purchase ANH and ESB on CED at eBay, so I'm trying to figure out if I should get them and try and have them transferred to DVD.

pardon my ignorance but what is CED?

Fascinating. I had never heard of this technology. That said, I'm a bit baffled as to why one would want to preserve such a cut. ;)

Gaith said:
Fascinating. I had never heard of this technology. That said, I'm a bit baffled as to why one would want to preserve such a cut. ;)

my thoughts exactly. I can understand wanting to collect such a novelty but why preserve it on a dvd?

I checked with the folks at OT, and they explained that there's really no difference, in terms of the cut, between any given Star Wars CED release and its contemporary LD release. Same time-compression, same missing 3PO line, same aspect ratios, etc. The only difference would be the Japan LD which had the shrinking AR; as far as I know, that's unique to the LD format. Still, that does leave the difference in picture quality; I've never watched a CED; what would the difference in picture be?

elbarto1 said:
Gaith said:

my thoughts exactly. I can understand wanting to collect such a novelty but why preserve it on a dvd?
For me, this sort of thing is part of what preservations are about; total historical collection. I've recently become enamored of the idea of getting every different version of the OT on DVD, for easy viewing.

CED is shit quality

the problem with that format is it is truly like a record in that each time you play it, it wears down ever so slightly (and thus affecting the quality). Another reason why laserdisc clobbered the format. I do own however Rodan and Godzilla 1954 on ced just for that collector in me and for the fact that they were like $2.00 at a fleamarket many, many years ago.

seems they aren't much more expensive now :)

I gotta say, while I never saw any CED equipment (too young) , its damned impressive tech for its time.
kinda like alt reality tech. a record that plays pictures! preposterous!

neat neat neat :)

reminds me of the oddball B&W video camera I had as a kid that recorded on regular audio cassette tapes.

well it was an attempted competition for laserdisc, which at that time many US titles were all discovision and created horribly (very bad disc errors and poor manufacturing. Pioneer stepped in and saved the format)

Keep in mind the machines were gigantic and weighed a ton (like the old 1970's vcrs or your current plasma tv) if you decide to hunt one down

Back
Top Bottom