• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Trailer Park Boys 2: Countdown To Liquor Day

Awesome! I don't know why the TPB never get any recognition.

I can't stand these guys. I don't get why people love them so much. All they are are white trash trailer folk. Julian really gets on my nerves and I can't stand J-Rock, or any white guy pretending to be all gangsta for that matter. Those two idiots Trevor and Cory aren't any better either.

Frantic Canadian said:
I can't stand these guys. I don't get why people love them so much. All they are are white trash trailer folk. Julian really gets on my nerves and I can't stand J-Rock, or any white guy pretending to be all gangsta for that matter. Those two idiots Trevor and Cory aren't any better either.
I...can't tell if you're serious...

I am being 1000% serious. I really don't see the appeal of these guys or the show. I think I may have made mistake when I said that Julian really gets on my nerves. I meant to say that Ricky really gets on my nerves.

Frantic Canadian said:
You know, I don't think you're supposed to think J-Roc is cool. I think you're supposed to think the opposite. I mean, they're supposed to be ridiculous. It's a comedy show, you know?

They're all caricatures. Ricky is a caricature of a stupid moron, J-Roc is a caricature of a white wannabe, Cory and Trevor are parodies of people that act like Cory and Trevor, etc., etc. At the same time, there is a lot of human drama that endears the characters to the audience. It's really some of my favorite comedy and some of my favorite human emotional drama. To each their own, I guess, but it always confuses me when people don't dig on the TPB.

I have nothing against Julian or Bubbles and while Mr. Lahey can be an a$$hole he doesn't really bother me. I just find the characters of Ricky, J-Roc, Trevor and Corey really annoying, especially Ricky and J-Roc. I don't find the show funny at all and I fail to see how anyone else can. I'm curious though, where is all this human drama you speak of?

I never saw this show/movie - is it on HBO or is it a European thing?
I live in the USA, under a rock :)

Trailer Park Boys is a Canadian show that I believe is just starting to get recognition in the States. I don't know how they air them in the States but here in Canada they're currently in the 8th or 9th season I would assume. Epguides.com only lists seven seasons but that one ended in June 2007 so they must have made another couple of seasons by now. Although according to Wikipedia, and you know they're never wrong :lol: , the show ended on December 7th, 2008

http://www.epguides.com/TrailerParkBoys/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trailer_Park_Boys

Frantic Canadian said:
I have nothing against Julian or Bubbles and while Mr. Lahey can be an a$$hole he doesn't really bother me. I just find the characters of Ricky, J-Roc, Trevor and Corey really annoying, especially Ricky and J-Roc.
I know you realize that the show is fictional, but your reactions to the characters seem based on the idea that they're real. Approach them as fiction.

I'm curious though, where is all this human drama you speak of?
Mostly the first six seasons. Season Seven and Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys (and, I'm sure, its companion piece, Countdown to Liquor Day) wrecked all of it.

Lahey had an incredibly tragic character arc, which you first start to sense in the early Season One episodes, becomes crystallized in the Christmas Special, reaches its peak in Season Five and early Season Six, and finally crests with some very warm redemption at the end of Season Six.

The Christmas Special, in general, has some very warm human interaction, and really makes Bubbles come alive and feel very special.

Ricky, too, has a lot of story to him, although it doesn't arc very well. They never quite seemed to know how to progress him. He never really made it past comic relief. He would just go in cycles of learning lessons and repeating mistakes.

Julian has a subtle character arc of personal development and refinement.

Cory and Trevor, particularly because the actors left after the sixth season, have a well-defined arc of developing out from being just somebody's sidekick and punching bag, to being one's own person, again culminating in the sixth season and the first episode of the seventh.

None of this is apparent from sporadic watching of individual episodes. Like any good narrative/serialized show, you can watch an individual episode and not feel lost, but the real experience comes from watching the entire program, or at least entire seasons.

Jono11 said:
Frantic Canadian said:
I have nothing against Julian or Bubbles and while Mr. Lahey can be an a$$hole he doesn't really bother me. I just find the characters of Ricky, J-Roc, Trevor and Corey really annoying, especially Ricky and J-Roc.
I know you realize that the show is fictional, but your reactions to the characters seem based on the idea that they're real. Approach them as fiction.

I am well aware that these are just characters that they are playing but it doesn't make them any less annoying.

Jono11 said:
Frantic Canadian said:
Mostly the first six seasons. Season Seven and Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys (and, I'm sure, its companion piece, Countdown to Liquor Day) wrecked all of it.

Lahey had an incredibly tragic character arc, which you first start to sense in the early Season One episodes, becomes crystallized in the Christmas Special, reaches its peak in Season Five and early Season Six, and finally crests with some very warm redemption at the end of Season Six.

The Christmas Special, in general, has some very warm human interaction, and really makes Bubbles come alive and feel very special.

Ricky, too, has a lot of story to him, although it doesn't arc very well. They never quite seemed to know how to progress him. He never really made it past comic relief. He would just go in cycles of learning lessons and repeating mistakes.

Cory and Trevor, particularly because the actors left after the sixth season, have a well-defined arc of developing out from being just somebody's sidekick and punching bag, to being one's own person, again culminating in the sixth season and the first episode of the seventh.

None of this is apparent from sporadic watching of individual episodes. Like any good narrative/serialized show, you can watch an individual episode and not feel lost, but the real experience comes from watching the entire program, or at least entire seasons.

I will grant you that I've only ever seen the first season, I borrowed it from the library because I wanted to see why this show was so popular, but Showcase does air it very often, even in a bleeped version around noon, and from the snippets that I've seen here and there of the other seasons I don't see anything beyond stupidity and comic relief. Even Lahey's alcoholism isn't treated seriously.

Frantic Canadian said:
Jono11 said:
Frantic Canadian said:

I am well aware that these are just characters that they are playing but it doesn't make them any less annoying.

Jono11 said:
Frantic Canadian said:

I will grant you that I've only ever seen the first season, I borrowed it from the library because I wanted to see why this show was so popular, but Showcase does air it very often, even in a bleeped version around noon, and from the snippets that I've seen here and there of the other seasons I don't see anything beyond stupidity and comic relief. Even Lahey's alcoholism isn't treated seriously.[/quote:1h5yua9s]By and large, yeah, it is an all-out comedy show. That seems to be the general gist of most people's objections to it; the comic relief doesn't let up, there's never a truly serious moment. Personally, I think that's what comedy should be. I get so sick of comedies that have to have that moment at the end of the movie or of the episode where things get serious and the hero finds love or the villain learns the error of his ways. It's never done well and ruins a good laugh. I'm so sick of comedies that have to have a very special episode. Why can't comedies just be comedies, you know?

I completely agree with you that comedies should be funny I was just pointing out that I didn't see any of the human drama you were refering to. My objection to the show isn't that it's an all-out comedy show it's that I don't find it funny at all and several of the characters annoy the hell out of me. Comedies can be serious and funny at the same though. All In The Family is a great example of that.

Frantic Canadian said:
I completely agree with you that comedies should be funny I was just pointing out that I didn't see any of the human drama you were refering to. My objection to the show isn't that it's an all-out comedy show it's that I don't find it funny at all and several of the characters annoy the hell out of me. Comedies can be serious and funny at the same though. All In The Family is a great example of that.
I'd say I think we just have very different tastes in comedy, but then I remembered/noticed that you're doing an extended edit of a Kevin Smith movie. So I guess we just don't agree.

That all depends. Kevin Smith may be the only thing we have in common, comedy-wise anyways. Are you a fan of Sacha Baron Cohen's work?

Frantic Canadian said:
That all depends. Kevin Smith may be the only thing we have in common, comedy-wise anyways. Are you a fan of Sacha Baron Cohen's work?
Massively.

Jono11 said:
Frantic Canadian said:
Massively.

See. I can't stand the guy and I don't find his characters funny in the least.

Frantic Canadian said:
Jono11 said:
Frantic Canadian said:
Massively.

See. I can't stand the guy and I don't find his characters funny in the least.[/quote:2a3y68p4]The comedy isn't in the characters. It's in the reactions of others. It's the only form of assault comedy that's effective in any way. And it often demonstrates some very interesting truths that are lost on almost everyone. For example, no one comes out of Borat looking better, to me, than average American citizens. The film strikes at the important fact that, despite their prejudices and very real drawbacks, these ordinary people are accomodating, kind, and genuinely interested in being decent people.

Back
Top Bottom