• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Fantastic Mr. Fox

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Never heard of this movie till now, but it's a stop-motion animated film that's directed by Wes Anderson and based on a book by the same author of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory":
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810028004/trailer

Animation seems a little "rougher" when compared to the recent Coraline (which was sheer excellence, in my opinion), but the premise and characters are certainly interesting enough, so maybe I'll check it out when it's released in November.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you mean Roald Dahl, Fantastic Mr. Fox is a great childrens book (quite similar to some Dick King Smith stories in fact) and im totally happy that they are going to make a movie of it. 8)

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It does look interesting, but the stop motion seems very rough, and not in a cute way.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
About bloody time there was a film version. I've been wanting one since I was 3. :)

Edit: I saw this (and it was cited) on Wikipedia
Anderson added new scenes to serve for the film's beginning and end.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Relentless666

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, visually speaking this is pretty desturbing. It just makes me think of taxidermy and furries and those two REALLY creep me out.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love the rougher look of it. Old school animation just seems to fit Anderson's style.

And I'm not worried about new scenes. The "book" is only 30 or so pages long, so naturally there will be added material. Just like with Where the Wild Things Are.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rough I don't mind. Lazy, on the other hand. This looks more like the latter.
Then again, lazy is a pretty accurate description of Wes Anderson's directorial style anyway. (Let the flaming commence.)

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
The "book" is only 30 or so pages long, so naturally there will be added material.

more like 76 i think you'll find :p

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I couldn't bring myself to like it. It has such little respect for the source material, that by the end it ultimately left me cold. I hated the additional characters, and it felt like the plot of the book was just hurried through and pushed out of the way so Anderson could tack on his story instead. Don't bother with this.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ahh well, yet another Dahl book gets a less than worthy movie treatment such a shame :( :( :(

i think my favourite has to be the TV adaptation of Danny the Champion of the World, they still mess about with the story too much but at least they totally nailed the feel of the movie and Jeremy Irons was brilliant as Dannys Dad.

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ghostcut said:
It has such little respect for the source material, that by the end it ultimately left me cold. I hated the additional characters, and it felt like the plot of the book was just hurried through and pushed out of the way so Anderson could tack on his story instead. Don't bother with this.
Why am I not suprised? :roll:

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
you mean Roald Dahl, Fantastic Mr. Fox is a great childrens book (quite similar to some Dick King Smith stories in fact) and im totally happy that they are going to make a movie of it. 8)

Which Dick King Smith stories have you been reading? :-? They're chalk and cheese, man!

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That said, I liked the animation style, and the post-prologue opening scenes, Badger as a lawyer actually worked really well and it was a particularly funny scene which provided a good setup.

Except the fact is that the book means a lot to me, and to see it be treated like this is a real kick in the guts.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Which Dick King Smith stories have you been reading? :-? They're chalk and cheese, man!

Foxbusters, Mouse Butcher, The Sheep Pig aka Babe, Magnus Powermouse to name a few.

EDIT: I stopped reading his stuff in the early 90's and i just assumed he must of died or something, ive just looked him up on wiki and hes still going strong with, i dunno, 40 odd new books; most of which dont seem to be about animals :eek: so i think i'd better ammend my original statement to 'early Dick King-Smith novels :oops: :D

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
Captain Khajiit said:

Foxbusters, Mouse Butcher, The Sheep Pig aka Babe, Magnus Powermouse to name a few.

EDIT: I stopped reading his stuff in the early 90's and i just assumed he must of died or something, ive just looked him up on wiki and hes still going strong with, i dunno, 40 odd new books; most of which dont seem to be about animals :eek: so i think i'd better ammend my original statement to 'early Dick King-Smith novels :oops: :D

I see what you mean if you were referring to a focus on animals - and I know it's all subjective - but as far as writing style goes, they're on opposite ends of the spectrum, as far as I'm concerned.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yes im with you on the writing style RD is a lot darker than DKS, if you've read any of his adult literature i'd tentatively toss 'sick' in there as well.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes - disturbed. Sorry, it's just the way my mind works: when people compare things I automatically think style rather than plot or anything else - my fault.

DKS writes good stories, but he introduces too much advanced vocabulary in many passages. While it's true that children need to have their vocabulary stretched, too much new vocabulary at once interrupts the flow of reading and makes them lose confidence, in my experience. I tend to group read DKS books with Year 2. Any older and it's the usual problem of - yes they understand the vocab better - but they are no longer interested in the story.

Fantastic Mister Fox is always a hit with Year 3. It's a shame that the film isn't better than it sounds from people's comments. Sorry for my digression...

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Most of the DKS stuff we read contains some quite hard phrases and vocab for 6 yr olds. I'm thinking of books like Mr. Ape. Children's reading level isn't what it used to be, but you were pretty advanced to be reading LOTR at 9. Some of ours could, but not many.

EDIT: Hey, where'd the other post go? :smile:

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i take everything back, i finally got through all of the movie on the third try and i thoroughly loved it, ok the animation is totally creepy but the dialogue is completely brilliant, very smart and sassy almost like some of the best bits of the Oceans series.

i didnt mind the plot extensions as its been probably a good fifteen years since i read the story so i dont remember it that well at all but i ended up really liking kristofferson in the end.

Top Bottom