• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

James Cameron's Avatar & The Way of Water (SPOILERS!)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://specials.divertissements.fr.msn. ... fault.aspx

Looks beautiful, but by the time the creatures shows up, it turns cartoonish.
Again, beautiful but not photo realistic IMO. Maybe in 3D the effect would be better though.
And the big screen will hopefuly give us all the little details that makes a CG creature more real looking.
Trailers on PC are no good for CG creature (see CG Arnold from T4 who looked good on theater but not so good on the trailer on my PC, in my opinion)
Anyway, I still hope for a great movie and story.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It looks very good.
From the trailer I gathered the story which reminds me of the short story called
CALL ME JOE by Poul Anderson.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well, I cant say I am in love w/ the CGI of the creatures and the big blue people but it still looks like a decent film and should be a great story.

the planet surface and interior human ships look great though. alot of aliens/abyss type architecture/set pieces

despite being iffy on the CGI I am still psyched.

mrbenja0618

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It looks good in parts, but yeah, there will be overage of CG in this. I'm actually not a CG hater. I believe it's a tool like every other filmmaking tool. I just prefer a blend of effects. It would have been more interesting if they shot this on a real location and used CG to add more fantastic details. Just my take. But yeah, i'll be there to see it.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Who cares if the whole thing is CGI, if the story is good?

Would puppets and claymation make this a better movie?

I think it looks f#*king epic.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am not saying it makes for a bad film, but Cameron shouldn't have praised the CGI work as 'photorealistic' when IMO, it isnt quite there yet.

The Navi look like something out of Attack of the Clones :wat:

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
Who cares if the whole thing is CGI, if the story is good?

Would puppets and claymation make this a better movie?

I think it looks f#*king epic.

Personally I prefer puppets and real effects to cgi but cgi can work if it's done well. I just watched the french trailer and the cgi looks god-awful. It felt like I was watching a videogame cutscene or something.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
did you watch it in HD?
It does look CG'd but I dont think it looks aweful, just not photorealistic

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Definitely doesn't look photorealistic, but then it's not something we're used to seeing. I think the oddity of the avatar's/aliens makes it hard to judge the photorealism. The trailer shots may not be fully rendered yet too, as was the case in several CGI-laden movie trailer (Revenge of the Fallen comes to mind). I think it definitely looks better than game cutscenes (esp the 1080p version). Will have to wait and see it in the theater before making final judgement.

Tubes

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think part of the reason why the effects don't look photoreal is because the character design is far enough out there that it breaks the suspension of disbelief. Especially when humans and Na'vi mix.

Also, I've been testing some aged film techniques and I used Avatar as a test clip. Couldn't find a place to post this, so the main movie thread should do.

[vimeo:vmd74pe2]

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tubes said:
I think part of the reason why the effects don't look photoreal is because the character design is far enough out there that it breaks the suspension of disbelief. Especially when humans and Na'vi mix.

Exactly. You don't believe it, because you've never seen anything like it in the real world.

As far as the aging clip goes, seems pretty decent, but there's a little too much "dirt", imo.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
Tubes said:

Exactly. You don't believe it, because you've never seen anything like it in the real world.

As far as the aging clip goes, seems pretty decent, but there's a little too much "dirt", imo.

I dont buy that, the aliens from district 9 looked closer to what I'd call "photorealistic" and they arent anything I have seen either.

Tubes

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Na'vi, minus blue
1250825179943.jpg

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:shock: lol, they look much better that way tubes.

Top Bottom