• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Jim Cameron to resurrect his older films in 3D?

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=25447

When we talked to James Cameron last week at Comic-Con (more from Cameron here) we asked about his love of 3D, and he told us that he's not just using it for new films like Avatar, but also planning to 3D-ify old classics like Titanic.

Said the King of the World, "We're going to do Titanic in 3-D! We've already done a 90 second clip of it and it's phenomenal and gorgeous, so that's going to be the project for next year. It's a conversion of it, not native photography; we can't go back."

But that's not all. We asked if he was considering the treatment on any of his other classics like Aliens, and Cameron said, "You know, we've thought about Terminator 2, which could be fun because I think that's a film that stands the test of time for me. I think that Aliens was a really good film in its time, but visually it doesn't quite hold up; we've kind of evolved beyond that now. I mean, for me it doesn't. Terminator 2, I think, is the cusp of where it still holds up, through now. True Lies, I don't think so; it doesn't feel right to me. Titanic absolutely, slam dunk! I want to see it!"

If this is indeed Cameron's project for next year, expect to see it in 2011 at the earliest, we'd have thought, or perhaps late 2012 for the 15th anniversary of its original release. Biggest 3D movie ever? Well, almost certainly - at least until they three-dimensionalise Gone with the Wind.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aliens Aliens Aliens Alie..... wait, no 3D aliens? boooooOOooo

More seriously I talked about making 2D videos into 3D with Tranzor in some technical thread:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5734
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6274

and it's great great fun to try to do such a thing. But I don't even think of a way to actualy bring some real 3D to a 2D movie other than by making some kind of 3D layers. I mean by that to (kind of) rotoscop elements of the foreground and the background to pop up, which is cool but not real true 3D in the end.
... well I guess Cameron has more than premiere pro and after effects to play with! :lol:
But I'm very curious about the making of such a thing.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
no 3D Alien is kind of sad :cry:

f$%@ing Titanic...

I like how he says Aliens' effects dont hold up when IMO they are still better than almost everything we get today.

CGI will never top a well makeup'd guy in suit

if anything sucks about Aliens its that shitty 80's film stock.
I cant wait to see how a HD release is handled. unless Cameron is directly involved I anticipate HEAVY DNR scrubbing ala the recent star trek release.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh I forgot to add...
Abyss Abyss Abyss Abyss Abyss Abyss Abyss Abyss Abyss Abyss Abyss Abyss Abyss....
:smile:

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
ThrowgnCpr said:
no 3D Alien is kind of sad :cry:

f$%@ing Titanic...

I like how he says Aliens' effects dont hold up when IMO they are still better than almost everything we get today.

CGI will never top a well makeup'd guy in suit

I cant wait to see how a HD release is handled. unless Cameron is directly involved I anticipate HEAVY DNR scrubbing ala the recent star trek release.

I totally agree. I don't think Alien(s) are that dated. And yes, way cooler than a lot of the CG garbage we get now.

I second: Abyss Abyss Abyss Abyss...

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hell yes to T1, T2, and the Abyss.

Hell, I'd settle for an anamorphic Abyss at this point.

Oh, and I'll take Piranha 2 in 3-D too.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:

I think that, more than anything else, is preventing him to do it. He could re-do the special effects - Isn't that what he's doing anyways for Titanic?

Oh - and:

Piranha 2 Piranha 2 Piranha 2 Piranha 2 Piranha 2 Piranha 2 Piranha 2 Piranha 2 Piranha 2 Piranha 2 Piranha 2 Piranha 2

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
Hell, I'd settle for an anamorphic Abyss at this point.

I know right, its my favorite Cameron film and it pains me to watch the shitty DVD I have.

blueyoda said:
elbarto1 said:

I think that, more than anything else, is preventing him to do it.

Yeah but It wont stop FOX. They are always on the lookout for creative new ways to ruin their classic franchises :|

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How can he possibly redo Titanic and T2 in 3D though? It all has to be remade from scratch - All he can possibly keep is the actor's voices. Does this have anything to do with the tech he developped for Avatar? So called photorealistic 3D?

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Im not excited about 3D movies too much. I saw only two so far and I couldnt focus on story. I was staring those movies not watching and my fiancée had really bad headache after...and this is not good! ;)

robbievaliant

Reaction score
Trophy Points
T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2 T2...

Note: If this happens, it would be my only theatrical experience with T2. Here's hoping it's the extended home video cut, if it happens.

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Titanic: The Jack Edit Titanic: The Jack Edit Titanic: The Jack Edit Titanic: The Jack Edit Titanic: The Jack Edit ;)

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All hail to Terminator!!!! :)

robbievaliant

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just thought of something- If T2 is made, we'll have T23D the rerelease of the film and T23D the Universal Studios ride.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
robbievaliant said:
I just thought of something- If T2 is made, we'll have T23D the rerelease of the film and T23D the Universal Studios ride.

I hope they find a way to release T23D (the ride) to a wider audience. I'll probably never make it to Universal Studios and have only seen it via T-Hopes DVD release (which is what brought me here to FE.org in the first place)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It would be cool to see the T23D show again (especially at home ;) ). I saw the it at Universal about 12 or 13 years ago, and I remember it being pretty cool.

Top Bottom