• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Is there a problem with Final Cut Pro?

RustyRaygun

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm just wondering why I haven't seen anyone mention using Final Cut Pro for their edits. It's the software I was trained in, and I plan on using it to make some fan edits. I can use it on the computers at my college. I haven't yet tried to use it for fanediting, but since I haven't seen it used it makes me suspect there's something I'm missing here.

Is there something majorly wrong with using it, like it can't handle the proper formats or huge files?

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Final Cut Pro is only available for Mac OS X, whereas I think a good number of people here (myself included) edit on Windows (either a PC or a Windows compatible Mac). I think Jorge might edit on a Mac, but I'm not sure. I don't think you're missing anything, but then again, I've only ever used PCs, so I myself may be missing something. :p

RustyRaygun

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aaaah. That could be it. Thanks, I hadn't considered that. I'm also an avid Mac user, and I sometimes forget which programs are Mac exclusive. This probably explains it.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No worries. I've heard very good things about Final Cut (in fact, several films that have been nominated for Academy Awards have been edited in Final Cut) so if it's good enough for the pros, it's good enough for us :)

Tubes

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a Mac user with edits in both FCE and FCP. My entire workflow pretty much runs through Apple programs. If there is one think OSX lacks, however, it's a Wombie like MPEG-2 editor.

RustyRaygun

Reaction score
Trophy Points
killbillme said:
RustyRaygun said:
and I plan on using it to make some fan edits.
Nice. What projects are you planning?

Well, I guess you can blame Michael Bay. After I saw Revenge of the Fallen, I have been contemplating how to reedit it to make it a better film, then I had the idea of mixing it with the first one and I already have alot of things in mind for it.

I haven't edited in a year (use to do independent projects) and I've been itching to get back to it, but I have no footage of my own so I thought this could be fun to do what you guys do.

The transformers edit will have to wait until Fallen is on DVD. I've chatted with some friends about it, and we thought I should work on some other edits for practice in the mean time. We're heavily considering a Matrix edit of all of the sequels material into one 2 hour film. I'm well aware has been tried before, but we have our own ideas which have not been seen. And like I said, it's more for us and my own practice than for internet fame or anything. I've made a post on this in the Ideas forum about it.

I really like the idea of boiling and remixing two or more films down into one solid film, like these edits I've mentioned. But we aren't sure what other films I should tackle. One idea was a good Robocop sequel, combining parts of 2, 3 and the television series. I've also thought about a Watchmen edit that's more true to the comics and less sexually graphic. There's also slight inklings in my head of a Endless Sunshine edit, but I'm not sure what I could improve.

Top Bottom