• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

District 9

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:shock: :shock: :shock:

OMG!!!! That's what I call sci-fi!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw the teaser for this when I saw T4 a few weeks ago. Definitely a unique take on the aliens visiting Earth genre, and one where it seems the aliens are more than justified to attack. I'm definitely gonna see this when it hits.

OTVader

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw the short this is based on about 4 years ago in a digital art class. Liked it then, like it now.

Plus the campaign for this is cool. Saw lots of stuff at the theater last night (Harry Potter)

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks really awesome (kinda reminds me of the Half Life video game)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
neill blompkamp (sp?) is easily one of the most visually talented directors I have seen in a long time.

I am glad to see he finally has a feature length film coming out, his shorts and the Halo videos he did were all amazing.

this looks like it could be astounding if it is well acted. I am so pleased with all the great looking sci-fi out now and on the horizon (avatar, surrogates, this, moon, predators)

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apparently according to this Wired article this film came from the failed preproduction process of the Halo movie.

Funnily enough this reminds me of Half-Life like JasonN, but in a slightly different fashion. You see, the [spoiler:ibb1httk]main enemies in HL1 were the Vortigaunts, who were in fact slaves (I didn't realise this and it wasn't conveyed very well in that game, despite that there's a part of the Xen section where the Vortigaunts do not attack you). In Half-Life 2 they become your allies - except there's an easily-missed one at the beginning of the game with a slave collar on, sweeping the floor of the train station.[/spoiler:ibb1httk]

gekko

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
looking forward to seeing this. anyone remember an 80's film called alien nation? had similar themes about integrating aliens into human population.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
gekko said:
looking forward to seeing this. anyone remember an 80's film called alien nation? had similar themes about integrating aliens into human population.
yeah I re-mem. luckily in this one the aliens are man-sized cockroaches!!! :D

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree there are many visual similarities but the loud "horn" sound effects in the trailer are dead on Half life 2.

gekko

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hd version on youtube
[youtubewide:1u2u80qt]

actually this is a different tv spot.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Comic Con (One sided) Interview w/ Director Niel Blomkamp

( :x embedding disabled)

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw this tonight and loved the hell out of it.

There are definitely conceptual cues taken from Alien Nation (Whether they admit to it or not.) which I enjoyed tremendously. If anything I'd describe this as a more realistic, believable Alien Nation. No integration and jobs for the Prawns. Just subjugation and intolerance.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nice, glad to see it delivers.
I hope to see it this weekend :)

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, that's pretty much all the ones I came up with too. I was sure there was another he didn't list there but I'll be damned if I can remember it right now.

D9 also has a handful of other bits and pieces that will remind you of other films. It also has several moments of seemingly illogical plotting, but nothing that really hurts the film in my opinion.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I found the short this was based on.

[youtube:3q0aeoyg]

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw this movie at midnight last night and it was a great experience. It wasn't exactly the movie that I expected and that made me enjoy it all the more. As a historian, I really enjoyed the parallels to the real apartheid in South Africa. Despite the crowd I was with being made nearly entirely of teenagers, they were very respectful with what was going on and quickly picked up on the subtext and deeper things going on with this film. When they clapped at the end I was happy as I thought, "Now if they think this is good, maybe they'll stop loving crap like Transformers and G.I. JOE."

:smile:

Top Bottom