• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Caddyshack: No Respect

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Original film name: Caddyshack
New film name: Caddyshack: No Respect
Original runtime: 98 mins
New runtime: 90 mins
Amount of time Cut/Added: 8 mins removed

The intention of this fanedit:
To remove Rodney Dangerfield's presence in Caddyshack as much as possible.

Cuts removed/added/extended:
-removed Al pulling up to the club
-removed Al in the Pro Shop
-removed the caddy struggling with Al's bag
-removed Al's "Where's your hat?" line
-removed Al's remote-controlled pop-up driver scene
-removed Judge Smails getting hit in the balls scene
-removed the "Let's dance" scene
-removed Al's Albert Einstein putter scene
-removed Al's real estate bit
-removed Al eating and talking to the guests at the dinner party
-removed Al ordering a drink at the dinner party
-removed the dancing at the dinner party
-removed the kid puking in the sunroof and the couple discovering it
-removed Al getting a call on his club bag phone
-removed "Hey everyone, we're all gonna get laid!"

Additional Comment:
I hate Rodney Dangerfield. With a passion. He is not funny. Never was. His annoying presence stands out even more in Caddyshack next to comedic greats like Bill Murray and Chevy Chase. I have no idea how Dangerfield managed to make a successful career in comedy. But I don't understand the appeal of Nascar either, so maybe it's just me.

I would've loved to cut him completely out of the movie, but you need him for the final match against Judge Smails. To create tension during the match, you also need Judge Smails to hate him. So unfortunately, he has to pop up from time to time and go through some annoying hijinks. I've reduced his presence as much as possible while still retaining the plot. I think the movie is better and funnier for it.

So, say goodbye to Al Czervik: The original Jar-Jar.

Time needed for the edition: about a week

4 GB SL NTSC stereo DVD available at RS and thepiratebay

Caddyshack3Dcover.jpg

lol, love the nascar reference - and yes, this could be interesting.

Couldn't agree with you more Adabisi, Dangerfield is about as funny as acute toothache. i rewatched caddyshack a few months ago and it was a painful experience so im quite looking forward to this.

and I am 100% on the opposite side and will say "blasphemy" in my book

if your edit actually shows up somewhere I will still give a watch, but so far I do not like your idea at all.

lol. such polar opposites - well it is available now, so lets discuss soon ;)

Rodney Dangerfield is one of the very best parts of Caddyshack. I have no problem with the edit, but I sure won't be watching it. Why watch a fan edit when the sole reason behind it is to remove one of your favorite characters?

makes no sense.

i loved tim robbins in shawshank redemption and boon did a masterful job removing him from WOTW

buddythegoon said:
Right on Tranzor. This idea just plain sucks.

In your opinion. You might not like the idea, but don't use such a negative term. See Tranzor's comment.

No worries about the negative comments. They're practically compliments comprared to the comments on the TPB page.

To be honest, I didn't realize Dangerfield had such a devoted following. Fart jokes and cheap one-liners aren't my thing, but I suppose I can see the appeal.

For all the doubters, Rodney is still there. I left in Al taunting Smails, the boat scene and almost everything to do with the final match. I just wanted to reduce his presence. Like I said, I don't find him funny and most of his scenes have nothing to do with plot, so they were easily removed. I think it really helps the viewer appreciate the performances by Murray and Chase without having this hulking gorilla chew up the scenery around them.

Of course, I'd love to hear comments from people who have actually watched it.

i downloaded it while at the WOTW gig so i'll be watching it in a few days. as for Rodney its not so much what he says but his absolutely horrendous (read non existant) acting that really makes me cringe.

white43 said:
buddythegoon said:
Right on Tranzor. This idea just plain sucks.

In your opinion. You might not like the idea, but don't use such a negative term. See Tranzor's comment.

My language was actually a tribute to Rodney.
And yes, it's my opinion.

Adabisi,
Once I get my traffic share quote back to normal in a few days (19 gigs in one night can do that, no not fan edit related) this will be in my list

The movie (even though I cringe as I type this) still might be fine with his scenes cut down (it is Caddyshack after all, and there are so many great shots in this film that I never thought one out powers another) and that in turn is going to leave me with a interesting review. We will know soon enough in a few days

It would be really nice if you could make your American History X edit available in the same fashion that Caddyshack is. I have wanted to view that one for a very long time

Adabisi said:
No worries about the negative comments. They're practically compliments comprared to the comments on the TPB page.

To be honest, I didn't realize Dangerfield had such a devoted following. Fart jokes and cheap one-liners aren't my thing, but I suppose I can see the appeal.

For all the doubters, Rodney is still there. I left in Al taunting Smails, the boat scene and almost everything to do with the final match. I just wanted to reduce his presence. Like I said, I don't find him funny and most of his scenes have nothing to do with plot, so they were easily removed. I think it really helps the viewer appreciate the performances by Murray and Chase without having this hulking gorilla chew up the scenery around them.

Of course, I'd love to hear comments from people who have actually watched it.

For me, Rodney is one of the reasons I love the film so much. Just seeing him piss off Ted Knight time after time is priceless. While I have no reason to watch this edit, to each his own. Any edit of this film would still be far superior to that piece of garbage called "Caddyshack 2"!!!

Well it came down the pipeline. Will make an effort to watch it this week

Caddyshack: No Respect edit by Adabisi

I had a problem writing up this review. Let it be known that I was 100% against the idea for this edit and I still am. The sub heading title of "no respect" sums up my view for this nicely. This edits focus is mainly on removing as much as Dangerfield's presence in the film as possible. What I find especially aggravating is the amount of hatred the editor clearly has for this actor and not just in this film, but life in general.

To say Dangerfield was never funny is a strong slap in the face and a huge insult to one of the most legendary comics there was.

I always liked Dangerfield and I will agree with the editor on one thing:

You're right I have no idea how people like Nascar either (I would rather glue my eyelids shut than watch that), but hating Dangerfield and saying he is not funny technically is saying you do not like comedy.

At any rate let me put the personal attack aside and let's move forward...

Essentially it is almost ripping the heart out of the film and smashing it underfoot. Surely you cannot take a classic and remove some great material and still have something good can you? For the film's sake you can. What is present still shines through and a testament to just how good this film is. You have an all star line up of actors, a well written script and they all have talent. This is a rare occasion when everyone brings it to the table
and no one is really outshining the other, a very nice blend.

However, Dangerfield hands down had the most over the top scenes in the film and in this case that was a good thing.

The issue I am having is that I love this film. Even with what Adabisi removed I still love the film. This creates a level of enjoyment while watching and his cuts did not bother me for this reason. Sadly this means his edit works. I think it was a bad move, but in terms of general flow it worked fine.

I will chalk it up this way, if this was shown on tv and edited for time only, you might end up with a print such as this one

If you saw Caddyshack before and loved the film, you might get the same feeling I had while watching this (what is left was still very good and held the film strongly). If you never saw it, you might find this to be really funny and in that case I strongly recommend you seeing the full version because you are missing on some classic moments

Tech:
The editing and sound were perfect with no issues in the slightest. The picture looked a
little grainy and I know this was from the dvd transfer. The film is presented in a matted widescreen ratio (which the region 1 US special edition uses) as the film was shot full frame open matte (so if you need that one get the old 1997 barebones release)

The dvd has chapters and a generic menu

in closing:
Giving this a rating is where my biggest problem is going to lie

For editing, video and sound
This gets a 10, I noticed nothing at all.

For menus this gets a 2. It was a generic still shot with a play button and that was it.

I cannot rate on anything else because personal bias comes into play.

Consider this an alternate version of the film, but in no way superior to the original

Overall rating gets an 8 from me, but not because I want to

tranzor said:
To say Dangerfield was never funny is a strong slap in the face and a huge insult to one of the most legendary comics there was.
Comedy is a point of view. I can't speak to this movie or edit specifically, because I never really have seen more than bits and pieces of the original. And I'm lukewarm on Rodney in general - some of his stuff I find funny, some not (I have a warm place in my heart for "Back to School," incidentally). But believe it or not, there are many people that don't find Rodney funny in any way, shape, or form. I think Bill Murray is a hall of fame comedian, and yet some people simply can't stand anything he did. It's just an opinion, and it shouldn't be cause for offence.

Tranzor, thanks for taking the time to watch and review the edit. I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to review my edits.

It's funny that you gave it an 8 despite hating everything that I did with it. Technically and plot-wise it's sound, but clearly your enjoyment was greatly diminished. If I were you, I probably would've given it a 5 or a 6. When I'm watching a fanedit, I base my rating almost solely on my enjoyment of it. The editor's technical prowess and fancy menus are the least of my concerns. But that's a common thing I've noticed around these forums. Most people seem to be much more impressed with an edit that took a long time to create and involved a lot of technical wizardry. But the finished product and it's ultimate entertainment value after all the hard work seems to be almost an afterthought. But I suppose that's a discussion for another thread.

Again, thanks for taking the time to review the edit.

Adabisi said:
Tranzor, thanks for taking the time to watch and review the edit. I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to review my edits.

It's funny that you gave it an 8 despite hating everything that I did with it. Technically and plot-wise it's sound, but clearly your enjoyment was greatly diminished. If I were you, I probably would've given it a 5 or a 6. When I'm watching a fanedit, I base my rating almost solely on my enjoyment of it. The editor's technical prowess and fancy menus are the least of my concerns. But that's a common thing I've noticed around these forums. Most people seem to be much more impressed with an edit that took a long time to create and involved a lot of technical wizardry. But the finished product and it's ultimate entertainment value after all the hard work seems to be almost an afterthought. But I suppose that's a discussion for another thread.

Again, thanks for taking the time to review the edit.

You see that is the problem. I hated your idea, but I still enjoyed the edit because I love the film. It is a nasty love hate relationship mix. The film had soe much other stuff working for it that even cutting down Rodney's scenes did not kill it.

As far as rating: I cannot take away because I did not like something on a personal level. The review is written for all and not just me. I would not give it a 5 or 4 because of personal taste as that is being unfair to the edit. This is what made it hard to review.

The edit was good and it still worked and I am sure those that do not like Dangerfield will have a field day with this.

This is why I gave it an 8. As I mentioned your edit still worked fine, but I just do not agree with your choice. That all comes down to everyone's own taste

When it comes to these forums all factors come into play. Agreed that more attention is paid to the tech than sometimes an actual edit. This is more so done becasue you can have a great edit, but pulled it off so technically bad (lets say lousy editing or hard audio cuts, etc) that your product which had potential, actually works the opposite because it then becomes not enjoyable to watch due to the lousy tech.

I am watching your American History reXamined edit now, so expect a review for it shortly

Back
Top Bottom