• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Prometheus - Alien Prequel [2012] (SPOILERS!)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/06/09...t-the-alien-prequel-and-not-carl-erik-rinsch/

Last month is was revealed that commercial director
Carl Erik Rinsch was attached to direct a remake of Alien. We have since learned that it is more of a prequel than a remake. I was one of the few people actually interested in Rinsch's involvement. Rinsch's commercials show an amazing sense of imagination, visual effects artistry and composition (we've profiled his amazing commercials on the site). Ridley Scott is said to be involved with producing the sequel, which leads us to believe it, at very least, has to be better than the last two Alien vs. Predator films. But apparently 20th Century Fox isn't happy with the choice of director.

According to Entertainment Weekly (via playlist), Fox has yet to approve Rinsch for the prequel, even though Tony and Ridley Scott have given the filmmaker final approval. Fox apparently wants Ridley to return to helm the movie, which seems very unlikely at this point. To complicate things further, EW claims that Rinsch is not only Scott's protege, a commercial director for Scott's company RSA, but he is also romantically involved with Ridley's daughter Jordan. So basically, he's "in the family."

I'm not sure that Rinsch will produce an Alien film on the level of Scott's original or James Cameron's sequel, but I do know that he's better than 99% of other possible choices. Fox needs to learn to give their "artists" more creative control. The movie studio's constant "micro-managing" and "second guessing" has been blamed for the studio's trail of lackluster film releases.

seems like a good horse to bet on, and with the Scott's at the helm of the ship, why not just step back and see what the talented artists might develop?
:lol: FOX :p

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As long as this is not a remake but a prequel (I heard about a story with the creature aboard the lost ship from the original movie) and as long Scott is on board (one way on an other), I think I have still interest in this movie. But I'm not expecting a second coming. Wait and see.

The only problem with prequel is that we usualy know how it ends. A prequel needs a very good script (well, any movie needs a good script, but a prequel even more).
Strangely I'm exited by the Rodriguez reboot/remake of Predator because I'm sure it will be fun, not too serious, and "something else". But I can't see how a good remake of Alien can be done. So a prequel, if done well, why not.

EDIT:
(from ain it cool news): Sources at Fox, however, tell EW that the studio is not interested in greenlighting a prequel unless [Ridley] Scott himself directs.
Rumors, rumors...

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
The only problem with prequel is that we usualy know how it ends.

Everybody knew how Titanic ended. It still went on to become the biggest box office hit of all time.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
blueyoda said:
TMBTM said:
The only problem with prequel is that we usualy know how it ends.

Everybody knew how Titanic ended. It still went on to become the biggest box office hit of all time.
Yes, but the script was smart enough to play with this. And having the scientists even showing the audience how the Titanic ends (in the case some people did not know!) step by step on animated CG is a great trick that even rise the tension at the end of the movie, because the audience totaly understand what happens, and what will happen next, and in what shit the characters really are.

An Alien prequel (if it's a spooky atmospheric SF movie, as I hope it will be, and not an action packed film) needs to find a way to be scary (or at least interesting) for those who already saw the first Alien movies, but it also needs not to ruins the original 1979 movie experience for the audience that would see this prequel before...
I'd like, for once, a prequel that could be seen before the original movie. What about the story of the lost ship on the planet? No humans in the entire movie. Just space creatures (speaking their own language with subtitles). I'd pay for that if done well. And it saves the "humans vs Alien" plot for the original movie. (although no humans in a movie could end being not so interesting... I don't know. Cool on paper, but tricky to do.)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd like, for once, a prequel that could be seen before the original movie. What about the story of the lost ship on the planet? No humans in the entire movie. Just space creatures (speaking their own language with subtitles). I'd pay for that if done well. And it saves the "humans vs Alien" plot for the original movie. (although no humans in a movie could end being not so interesting... I don't know. Cool on paper, but tricky to do.)

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to see from AvP, alas the major studios (especially FOX) will never make such a gutsy move. They all want human characters we can "relate to" and "sympathize with"...(pizza boys? m.i.rite :lol: )

Wall-e proves we dont need an english speaking human to accomplish this.

Ironman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to see from AvP, alas the major studios (especially FOX) will never make such a gutsy move. They all want human characters we can "relate to" and "sympathize with"...(pizza boys? m.i.rite :lol: )

And, without fail, we end up with shallow, badly written characters who no-one gives a stuff about. They're just cannon fodder.

Wall-e proves we dont need an english speaking human to accomplish this.

Agreed.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Variety says Ridley is back in the Alien saddle.

*jumping around the room like a fool* Oh please jebus, let this be fact.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118006722.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Twentieth Century Fox is resuscitating its "Alien" franchise. The studio has hired Jon Spaihts to write a prequel that has Ridley Scott attached to return as director.

Spaihts got the job after pitching the studio and Scott Free, which will produce the film.

The film is set up to be a prequel to the groundbreaking 1979 film that Scott directed. It will precede that film, in which the crew of a commercial towing ship returning to Earth is awakened and sent to respond to a distress signal from a nearby planetoid. The crew discovers too late that the signal generated by an empty ship was meant to warn them.

The deal gives Fox another chance to keep the "Alien" franchise alive. There were three sequels to Scott's original, but it is the first time the director has set his mind on directing one.

Spaihts has become a go-to-guy for space thrillers. After Keanu Reeves became attached to his Warner Bros. sci-fi script "Shadow 19," Reeves hired Spaihts to write the space journey epic "Passengers," which is berthed at Morgan Creek. That script got Spaihts the meeting with Fox and Scott Free, and he won the job with an "Alien" reboot take that the studio and Scott loved.

Fox has separately hired him to rewrite "The Darkest Hour," which Timur Bekmambetov to produce with Tom Jacobson. Spaihts is writing "Children of Mars" for Disney and Scott Rudin, and he will follow by rewriting "St. George and the Dragon" for Sony and Red Wagon.

fingers crossed :shock:

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What shape should this prequel take?
ALIEN was a haunted house, ALIENS was a war film, ALIEN3 was a prison movie and ALIEN RESURRECTION was FIREFLY.
Without rehashing all the previous versions, what should the prequel be?

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I dont know and I dont really care - sure Ridley has slipped off his A-game in recent years but I just cant bear another lousy alien film. also, if its a prequel he is free to go in almost any direction w/o having to adhere to the continuity established in the sequels. He can also finally break free of the 'Ripley factor'. I like Sigourney as much as the next guy but we dont need her in every goddamn Alien film!

That said I can even tolerate Alien Resurrection but its been 12 years (17 since a decent film 23 since a great film) and all we have seen are 2 weaksauce spinoffs. its high time for a talented director with a reputable track record to step up and deliver a quality Alien film again.

'Predators' could go either way but if Ridley helms this, I can rest easy - even if its next to impossible to create something as memorable and lasting as the original and/or the rest of his early work.

I cant get too excited as FOX has destroyed all my faith in them but I really hope this is fact.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's Ridley's filmography:

Body of Lies (2008) didnt see it.
American Gangster (2007) s'aright.
A Good Year (2006) didnt see it.
Kingdom of Heaven (2005) ?boring
Matchstick Men (2003) couldnt finish it.
Black Hawk Down (2001) great.
Hannibal (2001) why Sir Anthony, why?
Gladiator (2000) ?cartoony.
G.I. Jane (1997) cartoony.
White Squall (1996) boring.
1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992) pourquoi Gérard pourquoi?
Thelma & Louise (1991)? good the first time.
Black Rain (1989/I) cartoony.
Someone to Watch Over Me (1987) boring.
Legend (1985) Tom Cruise? really?
?Blade Runner (1982) great.

A lot of films granted. But really, except for BladeRunner and Black Hawk Down, hardly a reputable track record.
Be honest, did you even watch A Good Year (2006)? :p

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
true. alien, blade runner and black hawk down are great but most of his movies are average or really bad... but i like Matchstick Men :)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Body of Lies (2008) mediocre
American Gangster (2007) good
A Good Year (2006) didnt see it.
Kingdom of Heaven (2005) ?theatrical - boring / extended - good
Matchstick Men (2003) loved it
Hannibal (2001) good
Gladiator (2000) ?good
G.I. Jane (1997) fair
White Squall (1996) loved it
1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992) never saw it
Thelma & Louise (1991)? saw it but really dont remember so mediocre i guess
Black Rain (1989/I) never saw it
Someone to Watch Over Me (1987) never saw it
Legend (1985) hated it (only saw DC)
?Blade Runner (1982) legendary

I guess the way I see it is, if anybody is allowed to mess up an alien sequel, its the man that started it.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If he does the prequel, it is certain that he will get into the story of the mysterious "space jockey", as he had discussed in the Alien commentary when he talked about doing a prequel (but Fox ended up going with AvP instead)
This character may very well be the main character... but too bad we already know their fate

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ridley Scott:
"It's a brand new box of tricks," said Sir Ridley. "We know what the road map is, and the screenplay is now being put on paper. The prequel will be a while ago. It's very difficult to put a year on Alien, but [for example] if Alien was towards the end of this century, then the prequel story will take place thirty years prior."

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=17470&count=0#ixzz0lv6BH0H

MTV News had the chance to speak to director Ridley Scott about the prequel to his 1979 sci-fi classic "Alien." In his response, Scott revealed several major plot details.

"As we speak, I've got a pile of pages next to me; it's like the fourth draft," he said about the status of the project. "We're not dreaming it up anymore. We know what the story is. We're actually making the film. I've already got people working graphically on designs."

Scott continued: "It's set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]. It's fundamentally about going out to find out 'Who the hell was that Space Jockey?' The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle — there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer's chair. And our man [Tom Skerritt as Captain Dallas] climbs up and says 'There's been an explosion in his chest from the inside out — what was that?' I'm explaining who the space jockeys were."

He said that the Weyland-Yutani company has yet to be formed. "Weyland hasn't joined Yutani yet, so they go and see Weyland," Scott explained. "[The film] is about the discussion of terraforming — taking planets and planetoids and balls of earth and trying to terraform, seed them with the possibilities of future life."

Regarding Weaver's participation, Scott said: "It will be before she was born! [But] the main character will be a woman."

He added that the alien will have to be updated. "I have to design — or redesign — earlier versions of what these elements are that led to the thing that catapults out of the egg, the face-hugger. I don't want to repeat it. The alien in a sense, as a shape, is worn out."

Finally, Scott said that the plan is to have the prequel in theaters by end of 2011 or find the best date in 2012.

Read more: http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.p ... z0lwfkNbbG

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Will it really spoils major things if I read this article? :oops:

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
not really, it gives a basic plot outline. so yes, if you want to know NOTHING about the film, but theres really no major spoilers there.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Indeed.
It sounds interesting and very promising. I like that he don't want to repeat himself.

"[The film] is about the discussion of terraforming"
I hope it will not turn into "SW prequels poltical bore" though...

jjrdias

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"The Duellists" - great movie by Sir Ridley, often overlooked by various experts in the work of Scott. Particularly since it was because of it that RS got to direct Alien.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm definitely intrigued by the prospect, but very cautious. It does look like we'll finally get an answer as to why the company gave Ash the orders they did, that along with the 'Space Jockey' are the two biggest questions of the original.

I am a little nervous about his stated intent to change up the form of the Aliens owing to them being overdone. I disagree with the issue. Yes, the franchise has been overdone, or more correctly improperly done. No, we won't have the same suspence we had in the original, or the same type that Spielberg took advantage of in Jaws, but that doesn't mean you have to recreate the wheel. If you change the appearance of them, particularly the seed pods you begin to stray from what seems to me, canon. But this is just speculation.

Also, for the record:

Body of Lies (2008) didnt see it.
American Gangster (2007) bit long-winded, might benefit from a FE, but pretty solid.
A Good Year (2006) Watched 5 minutes, more than enough for me. Formula drivel.
Kingdom of Heaven (2005) ?didn't see it
Matchstick Men (2003) Meh.. OK but not particularly memorable.
Hannibal (2001) didn't see it.
Gladiator (2000) ?Great.
G.I. Jane (1997) didn't see it because it looked cartoony
White Squall (1996) Really loved this.
1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992) Avoided like the plague
Thelma & Louise (1991)? good the first time (agree).
Black Rain (1989/I) cartoony (agree).
Someone to Watch Over Me (1987) didn't see.
Legend (1985) Tom Cruise? really? (agree, but I still have a soft spot for it)
?Blade Runner (1982) Freaking Phenomenal, Legendary and Ahead of its time.

Top Bottom