• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Drag Me To Hell by Sam Raimi

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1127180/

I've never heard about this until today... Sam Raimi goes back to his Evil Dead roots?

Has anybody seen this yet? I'd love to hear comments by fanedit.org regulars.

There are ALOT of wonderful user comments at imdb so methinks this may just be a Must Watch movie for me.

"'Drag Me to Hell" is a grueling, hideous, brilliant and perfectly executed traditional goth/supernatural horror film with dark comedic elements. "
Oh yeah, count me in!

drag-me-to-hell-5330-poster-large.jpeg

A guy I know said it easily lives up to its hype, so I'm looking forward to it too. I must see Evil Dead 1 and 2 again soon.

I havent fully written it off but its PG-13 rating immediately made my mind shelf it into the umpteenth tween "horror" film lot of crap released over the last few years.
IMO (almost all) horror just cant cut it on a PG-13. I hope this is one of the few that can.

I'm gonna see this tonight & as I'm a big Evil Dead fan I'm expecting good things.

Off the top of my head the only scarry PG film I can name is JAWS, but I'm sure there's more.

I too also heard it lives up to the hype and that it's a great horror movie. It's not out here yet, but I definitely want to see this one!

I do not care who I insult: drag me to hell was good for people who are dumb

horribly, worthless piece of sh*t with nothing original or redeeming, completely stupid with plot holes and a terrible script. Perhaps good if you are a dumb 11 year old who has seen nothing else

The guy I know who've seen it has seen more films (including art house films) than pretty much anyone I know, including myself. I'm not sure he would object to being dumb (although it would be wrong), but he would object to being 11. :)

it just boggles my mind on how much hype this film is getting. It was one of Raimi's worst (though kudos for the talking sheep). Pretty much I am believing most of the hype and reviews are just going by name only. If lets say "Bob someone" made this it would have been brushed under the rug and out of the theater within a week.

Someone I work with sent out this raving review of the film and I QUOTE:

"This is a style of horror film not seen in some time and was a breath of fresh air in the genre"

as well as this nonsense:

"This is the best horror film in quite some time. In a genre where the only decent films these days are the 'Saw' films and anything made by Rob Zombie, this to me was a much needed film and was nice to see something different in a horror film for once"

Now I know this person who made the quote above and I also know their lack of film knowledge or taste. If he was praising it, than I can assume I at least might find it entertaining. Once this was over I could not believe how this was being sucked down by the masses. Has my country become so dumb that something like this mindless rot is now what a good horror film should be?

I was just so enraged by this crap that the insults started flying. Really I think another reason has to do with the fact that a good chunk of the public is basing this on the slew of complete sh*t mainstream horror films that have been dumped on us for the past few years (a few exceptions here and there). I guess in that sense you could say "sure this was great", but compared to everything else this should have been burned

if it makes you feel better I called my boss stupid as well.

Drag me to hell..exactly. It was the only thing that did work in this movie

tranzor said:

horribly, worthless piece of sh*t with nothing original or redeeming, completely stupid with plot holes and a terrible script. Perhaps good if you are a dumb 11 year old who has seen nothing else
Wow that bad huh?

Well, it's got 93% at Rotten Tomatoes so it CAN'T be that bad, can it?
Maybe it's supposed to be more fun than scary?

zeppelinrox said:
tranzor said:

Wow that bad huh?

Well, it's got 93% at Rotten Tomatoes so it CAN'T be that bad, can it?
Maybe it's supposed to be more fun than scary?

I have no idea what people are seeing? It really was that bad. The comedy was ehhh as well. It kind of resembled "scary movie" without the comedic references but close to being that terrible. I still think this one has it's reviews all name based or people have really lost site of what a good film is (or even one that tries to be a comedy and still fails)

Another nail in the coffin for American cinema

i feel like i'm missing something here. clearly tranzor has good taste, but what the hell is up with these reviews?

i've not been excited to see it for some reason, so i can wait, LOL

joebshmoe said:
i feel like i'm missing something here. clearly tranzor has good taste, but what the hell is up with these reviews?

i've not been excited to see it for some reason, so i can wait, LOL

hey Joe, your guess is as good as mine. If you want to see the film then go see it, but I did not care for it in the slightest (except for the talking goat which I mentioned in one of the post above).

Thanks for the compliment
I like to think that I have good taste in films and I am pretty much open to every genre out there.

I also did not like the 300 (for other reasons not related to the reasons of why I did not like drag me to hell) and I do know this put me in the minority as far as that was concerned.
Perhpas this is another case like the 300?

mmm i like 300 but didn't love it. i'm a frank miller fanboy, so i was bound to at least enjoy myself (oh and i liked robocop 2, so that says a lot)

i'm guessing sam raimi has his own groupies, too. other than liking evil dead / AoD i don't particularly care for him. and, frankly, i'm a bruce campbell fanboy so there ya go.

i think you are right, the PG13 rating on this is a bit odd. definitely cashing in. perhaps i'll go for the inevitable unrated/director's cut release

Contains Spoilers!

I think "Drag me to Hell" has absolutely no depth what-so-ever. As it began, it set a campy tone and had a few creepy moments (Spoilers: like the old woman in the back of the car and the demon in bed) but suddenly Raimi starts doing his 'three stooges' routine, which began with the nose bleed. Gross out comedy can be fun but Raimi seems to miss the target with his gags.

It is odd that a successful director would almost rip-off his own work in such a way, rather than being fresh and innovative like say, David Cronenberg. The references to the Evil Dead movies are so direct and numerous that I was sitting there asking "Why?" The female lead should have been played by Bruce Campbell in a blonde wig, then this would have been funny.

This is a pull-the-curtain-BOOOO-type-thing. The soundtrack scare cues make your ears bleed.

Well in the last few days I watched Terminator Salvation, Inland Empire, Drag Me To Hell & Borat. I have to say I found Drag Me To Hell entertainable enough, is it a classic horror film or return to form of Rami's Evil Dead days? No, but I was more engaged in this film than I was in the Terminator movie.

I suppose coming off the back of Inland Empire a bit of light relief was just what I needed & Drag Me To Hell & Borat did the trick for me.

I cant understand why almost any "popular" film is popular (mall cop?) most are utter rubbish while the great films get ignored (the fountain)

the american gene pool is getting real thin, and it shows in everyday life as well as entertainment. Its all explosions, fastcut MTV action, reality TV and soft core nudity.

Dont get me wrong, I like the dick and fart jokes when done right but a good movie is really few and far between these days.

dont feel bad joe... I also enjoy RoboCop 2 a great deal. Although I havent been able to get through Inland Empire yet. hopefully someday :grin:

a very small percentage of people are intelligent. there ya go. mystery solved.

yeah but there has been an apparent dumbening in the last 10 years...

Back
Top Bottom