• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Hobbit Trilogy Q2 Edition

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sourced from the recently released 4k UHD Blu-Ray extended editions, these edits are fairly light. I love the epic feel of the Tolkien movies, I just didn't appreciate Peter Jackson harnessing his inner Lucas by going Star Wars Prequels on these films. The cut list as of right now:

An Unexpected Journey (168 min.) (cut 14 min.)

• cut Biblo saying it was the beginning of a long friendship since next we see Biblo and Gandolph, Biblo doesn't recognize him
  • cut dwarf throwing moldy food over shoulder
  • cut drinking/aburping "joke"
  • trimmed dwarf cleaning bit
  • cut snoring and inhaling insects
  • cut intro to Brown Wizard
  • cut snot "jokes"
  • cut stick insect coming out of mouth
  • cut Brown Wizard calming nerves by smoking
  • cut draw song at Rivendell
  • cut scene of dwarfs bathing
  • cut the stone giants
  • cut goblin-town song
  • cut "Made in Rivendell" joke
  • cut most of second goblin-town song
  • cut Gandolph beheading goblin joke
  • cut ring dancing on Bilbo's fingers
  • cut Wilhem scream
  • cut fat dwarf swarmed by goblins and breaking through walkway
  • cut goblin king saying, "That'll do it"
  • trimmed numerous shots in the final battle
The Desolation of Smaug (179 min.) (cut 7 min.)

• cut shot of orcs going to necromancer
  • cut a few shots as Bilbo crosses river in Mercwood
  • trimmed spider attack and introduction of elves
  • cut the romance between Kili and Tauriel
  • trimmed orc attack on elves and dwarves escape
  • cut mayor eating testicles
  • cut Wilhem scream
  • trimmed Smog chasing/fighting dwarves
The Battle of the Five Armies (162 min.) (cut 3 min.) 

• cut the romance between Kili and Tauriel
  • cut "These bats are bread for a single purpose... war"
  • cut Wilhem screams
  • cut various shots throughout the battle

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did you use a supercomputer to render the 4K files  :) ...and how did you find working with HDR..The picture can look washed out if its not rendered in 10bit.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last Impressions said:
Did you use a supercomputer to render the 4K files  :) ...and how did you find working with HDR..The picture can look washed out if its not rendered in 10bit.

I have a Core i7-8700K w/ 32GB RAM and an nVidia RTX 2060 so no... not a supercomputer. :)

What I actually did was rip the M2TS files from the UHD Blu-ray, then converted those to a 1080p file so my system could handle editing easier. I found when trying to edit the 4k directly, after a time, Premiere would struggle. So I edited the 1080p file and once I was happy with it replaced source file to the 4k M2TS file, rendered it out.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That  will do it..i am saving up for a new set up at the moment. I currently only have 6 year old Core i5 16GB of Ram and a GTX 970 so it definitely needs updating to start producing 4K edits. I was just going to upgrade the Ram and video card but think i'll just buy a new editing rig. I attempted to produce my Ad Astra edit in 4K but the render times were crazy and i thought my PC would explode. Editing in Vegas 17 was fine as it is capable of using a proxy file...but you have to render in 10bit to maintain the colour palette otherwise it looks washed out.

So even with your current PC set up you struggled editing in 4K?

What software do you use for ripping UHD and converting to 1080p . I know Mcmilln and myself were having a discussion about 4K last year and were looking at different processes. 

Sorry to hijack your Hobbit thread.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last Impressions said:

What software do you use for ripping UHD and converting to 1080p . I know Mcmilln and myself were having a discussion about 4K last year and were looking at different processes.

Yes, but because I tried editing the M2TS file. I don't like converting to a lossless format because that's never worked well for me. I prefer to work with the original source.

And I use MakeMKV to do a full backup of the disc so it doesn't convert to an MKV so I can preserve the M2TS file.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Last Impressions said:

Yes, but because I tried editing the M2TS file. I don't like converting to a lossless format because that's never worked well for me. I prefer to work with the original source.

And I use MakeMKV to do a full backup of the disc so it doesn't convert to an MKV so I can preserve the M2TS file.

Thanks for the heads up...i have just had a little play around in Vegas and the timeline seems to like the M2TS file. I'm going to see if i can produce a 4K version of my Ad Astra edit using the original source file. i was using a lossless 4K MP4 previously. Cheers for your help.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last Impressions said:
Q2 said:
Last Impressions said:

Thanks for the heads up...i have just had a little play around in Vegas and the timeline seems to like the M2TS file. I'm going to see if i can produce a 4K version of my Ad Astra edit using the original source file. i was using a lossless 4K MP4 previously. Cheers for your help.

It always started fine, but when I got to about 45-60 min into the timeline is where it would begin to struggle. Good luck!

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Last Impressions said:

What do you mean preserve the M2TS file? It’s just a container so if you convert it to MKV no data is lost.

But yeah proxy files are definitely needed when working with 4k.

How did you deal with the HDR? It’s fine in the latest versions of premiere I believe. I’m a little hesitant to do anything with HDR because so many people still use normal TVs and monitors

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
m4semperfi said:
Q2 said:
Last Impressions said:

What do you mean preserve the M2TS file? It’s just a container so if you convert it to MKV no data is lost.

How did you deal with the HDR? It’s fine in the latest versions of premiere I believe. I’m a little hesitant to do anything with HDR because so many people still use normal TVs and monitors

Premiere can't edited MKV which is why I just stuck with M2TS.

And I didn't need to do anything for HDR. Premiere handled it brilliantly as far as I can tell. Watch the trailer and you'll see how it looks. Nothing is washed out.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
m4semperfi said:
Q2 said:
Last Impressions said:

Premiere can't edited MKV which is why I just stuck with M2TS.

And I didn't need to do anything for HDR. Premiere handled it brilliantly as far as I can tell. Watch the trailer and you'll see how it looks. Nothing is washed out.

Ah I see. My workflow is MakeMKV from blu-ray (which for some reason people sometimes think is lower quality, but no it's the same as the actual blu-ray) -> Have an MKV file -> Extract DTS audio and convert to 24 bit wavs with Audacity -> remux MKV into MP4 with ffmpeg. So I imagine if I get into doing 4k stuff it's basically the same, I just need to get a 4k drive.

Also that's good to hear about HDR. I'm still on cc2018 so I might need to upgrade eventually to get access to working with that.

Going back to The Hobbit, I really like your trim idea about making the ring 'dance' less on Bilbo's finger. I decided to do that on my own and it works absolutely perfect if you choose the right end and start frame, so thank you for the inspiration.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m eager to watch a light-handed cut of The Hobbit trilogy. I’m especially interested in seeing what you do with the Dwarves/Smaug battle at the end of the second movie. My opinion is of course unpopular, but I believe this scene encompasses the light-hearted yet epic feeling these movies were intended to have. It makes me sad that this scene and others like it are cut in every edit I’ve ever heard of. Anyway good luck, looking forward to it!

Reactions: M4_

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m eager to watch a light-handed cut of The Hobbit trilogy. I’m especially interested in seeing what you do with the Dwarves/Smaug battle at the end of the second movie. My opinion is of course unpopular, but I believe this scene encompasses the light-hearted yet epic feeling these movies were intended to have. It makes me sad that this scene and others like it are cut in every edit I’ve ever heard of. Anyway good luck, looking forward to it!
Just wanted to chime in with my opinion because I’m strongly against this and I feel like people just jump to cut it without really explaining why. I feel like that chase sequence has too many issues for the audience - how does Thorin survive on a chain right past Smaug’s face, in fact how do any of the Dwarves survive and outrun Smaug, it just lessens his presence and the fear we should have of him, kind of cheapening the whole threat. Not to mention the whole covered in gold sequence which was pretty odd, and throwing flash bangs at Smaug, then then all being attacked by fire without being touched somehow lighting the forges. The lighthearted part of the hobbit (IMO) should be as we adventure towards the goal, especially when the journey begins, but by the time we get to Laketown there should be a tonal shift as the stakes have been raised and Bard brings up some serious implications of what awaking the Dragon could mean. Especially once were already in Erebor it’s time for the ‘serious mode’ to start to kick in, which is true the book. I think it’s much more interesting to have Bilbo be the one that sets everything in motion, leading to Smaug’s death, and the final battle, rather than the entire company. Finally, there are some inconsistencies with Thorins character arc. He goes from starting to go mad, looking angry and “dragon sick,” to then being an honorable hero leading them one last time, to then going back to being angry and greedy when Smaug dies.

Even with that said, it’s totally okay for you to enjoy it, there are also pros - I think it’s nice to see more of the Dwarves, there’s a few epic moments and nice dialogue from Thorin/Smaug, and it is cool to see the Dwarves face Smaug rather than just hide the whole time. I also love the moment when the Dwarves see the room full of their dead ancestors.

I think with a few trims, which I’m sure Q2 might’ve done, it can definitely work. But yeah, most book edits choose to cut it which does make sense.

Top Bottom