• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

World is Not Enough: Millennium Edition, The:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
World is Not Enough: Millennium Edition, The:

A new Bond fanedit is always of interest to me. It's little secret in this fanediting parts just how much of a Bond fan I am, so I was intrigued with Lapis Molari's cutlist on this one.
As a film, I've always enjoyed The World is Not Enough. Granted, there are issues with it, but I think it contains Brosnan's best performance as Bond, where he's finally allowed to explore a little of the more ruthless side of Fleming's fallible superspy ("I never miss"). The balance of serious spy and the more humorous scenes however, is still a little off kilter and not as finely tuned as Martin Campbell's excellent Goldeneye for example... it's nowhere near to the extreme of Die Another Day, but Feirstein, Purvis and Wade's script is still not what it could be. Despite this, there's a devilishly good villainous performance from Sophie Marceau who clearly enjoys every moment, whilst Robert Caryle lends his secondary villain Renard with enough depth and dimension to make one almost feel sympathy for him.

On top of this, there's a terrific score from David Arnold (you remember, when Bond scores used to be amazing right?? For God sake's just bring Arnold back!) even if some of the questionable sound mixing means it gets buried a little too much. Michael Apted's direction is solid, if unremarkable, and it's clear he's trying to get as much depth out of the script he's been given, as he can. Of course, there are a few over the top scenes such as the chainsaw-wielding helicopters, plus a remarkably flat ski-chase which is easily the worst in the film series' considerable history of such sequences. In addition, Denise Richard's character of Christmas Jones is not as well defined as she should be, and comes across far too dumbed down for a nuclear physicist - I don't actually blame Richards for this (even though she had a rough time during the shoot according to her), but more the script which falls back too much on stereotypes of Bond girls from yesteryear.

So, there's definitely room for some fanediting here... so how did I think Lapis Molari fared? Let's find out...

Firstly, the edit looks great, so no issues at all from this perspective. I even liked the idea of a short pre-credits sequence and moving the amazing boat chase down the river thames (a genuine classic Bond action sequence) to after the credits have rolled. True, the pre-credits scene does now feel a little underwhelming, but it takes away the problem of having the longest pre-credits sequence in Bond history (something like 15 minutes). It's executed as well as can be expected in terms of transitioning to the cool theme tune by Garbage, but unfortunately I wasn't so keen on the transition coming out of the credits into the next scene, as whilst the Garbage theme tune is finishing, you can then hear other music just ending from the new after credits scene. To me, this could have been easily solved by doing some sound replacement work (for background ambience) so that we just hear the Garbage song fading out. It may seem a small thing, but it just feels a bit clumsy as it stands.

Thankfully, as far as I remember, this is the only noticeable audio issue I experienced during my viewing. Otherwise, I thought Lapis did a solid job.

In terms of the visual edits, again, I didn't have an issue with most of them and in terms of the purpose of this edit they work very well. Occasionally, the pacing might feel a little off due to some scenes missing, but not to the point where it ruins your enjoyment on any level. For example, I was delighted the ski chase was excised. I didn't miss that at all. In fact I am eternally grateful. However, the one scene which I thought would cause a problem, is indeed the excising of the chainsaw helicopter as Bond is trying to get information from Valentin. One minute Bond has Valentin up against the wall, next minute he's falling into a vat of caviar. Plus, on top of what feels like an unnatural cut (my wife actually said to me "what happened there?"), Bond is suddenly seen to be much more dishevelled and even has a slight cut on his face. Whilst I totally appreciate the intention of this cut (as I too feel the helicopter chainsaws are a little unnecessary and as Lapis says, the stakes for this scene are not as big as say the boat chase), I just feel that the scene literally feels like there's something not right... something is missing.

That aside, most of the other trims worked well. The work done on removing Moneypenny from a shot where she's walking behind the Doctor during the briefing about Renard is exemplary, and there's tons of other nips and tucks which definitely help the film. I particularly loved Bond's somewhat emotional reaction to killing Elekta in cold blood, being cut. As much as Bond loves women, to the point where they are indeed a weakness of his, the emotion of having to kill her was already etched on Brosnan's face before he pulled the trigger - that was enough. Nicely done Lapis.

I also, to my surprise quite enjoyed the use of Robbie Williams' Millennium over the end credits. Thankfully there is the option of a second audio track which maintains David Arnold's score if your prefer that - to be greedy, I would have loved a 3rd track, which reinserted Scott Walker's "Only Myself to Blame", which was actually included over the end credits during the film's theatrical run, but has since been removed on all home media releases.

I have to say that I didn't like the post-credit scene at all. It's from a deleted scene, so the quality is significantly reduced, but most importantly it just doesn't do anything interesting and feels very much like an after thought.

Otherwise, I would say that I thoroughly enjoyed this Millennium edition of The World is Not Enough. It may seem I've been a bit harsh on some of the choices, but this is purely my opinion and Lapis, please be assured that I still had a great time watching this. It has also given me some good ideas for my own edit of this in the future. It's an ambitious edit, not afraid to tackle and change technically difficult scenes, and for that I would applaud you. Not all of it works, but overall this gets a hearty 007 recommendation from me.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/james-bond-007-the-world-is-not-enough/discussions/11554/

Top Bottom