• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Warner Bros. Making Moves - All theatrical 2021 releases head to HBOMAX Day 1

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, apparently Warner Bros. are the ones willing to take the first steps and have announced all 2021 theatrical releases will simultaneously premiere on the same day as their subscription streaming service HBOMAX.  For me, this is something that was obviously coming but was expedited due to the Coronavirus and the devastating impact its had on cinemas.  I still want to support and go to theaters for big movies, but right now the closest theater near me that's open and showing new releases is an hour away (compared to 5 minutes pre-pandemic) so I will gladly sit at home and enjoy these new movies. I still plan to go see big movies in theaters (I'd love to see Wonder Woman 1984) but I'm not going to lie and say I will definitely think twice if I simply have to turn on my app rather than get out and drive to the theater, especially for movies I'm only mildly interested in seeing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/03/war...-on-hbo-max-at-the-same-time-as-theaters.html

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
To me, it’s a no-brainer since I already have HBOMax. I still want to see big spectacle movies like Nolan movies on the biggest screen I can. But I think it’s a mistake to think that the relative success of something like Trolls World Tour is indicative of a sea change that will make streaming just as lucrative as the theater. I think if you see things go this way you’ll start to see huge blockbusters dwindle. For me, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I mostly don’t like modern blockbusters. Who knows, maybe it could spur a renaissance of filmmaking where every-damn-thing isn’t a sequel or remake and original voices are valued.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As a community, we're going to have to monitor this situation very closely.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Movies will only appear on HBOMAX for the first 30 days of release, and then go back to being theatrical exclusive before they hit the home market.  If anyone is skirting the ownership rules it should be pretty obvious, as those ownership dates likely aren't going to change.

Top Bottom