• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Framerate issues with Handbrake/Vegas Pro 17

amsunderman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all,

I always have the same issue with fps being read in by Vegas Pro 17 as PAL 25 fps even though in handbrake I convert it to an H.264 mp4 with 23.98 fps. This always seems to leave me with two options in Vegas Pro, let the project be at 25 fps which seems like the incorrect framerate (and rendered clips have a slight stutter where it seems like frames freeze in place for split seconds) or I force the project to 23.98 fps and then the render seems to get the frame blending effect.

I assume something about my handbrake conversion is causing the issue but I select constant framerate and select 23.98.

Has anyone else that uses Handbrake and Vegas Pro 17 encountered a similar issue? Any ideas on resolution?

Edit: Some additional research I found out how to check detailed settings in mediainfo program. It is indeed variable framerate from 23.974 to 23.981. So this probably causes the import issue into vegas pro. I am going to experiment with something like ffpmeg but if anyone uses handbrake and doesn't have this problem I would still be happy to receive advice :)

Thanks,
Adam

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Under the Handbrake Video tab, just below where you select Framerate, there is a tick box for Constant Framerate, or Variable Framerate. Have you ticked variable by mistake? Also never use Handbrake's automatic "same as source" framerate option. Tell it what framerate to use e.g 25fps, it's safer. Lastly under the Filters tab make sure you haven't got any interlacing options set.

amsunderman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Under the Handbrake Video tab, just below where you select Framerate, there is a tick box for Constant Framerate, or Variable Framerate. Have you ticked variable by mistake? Also never use Handbrake's automatic "same as source" framerate option. Tell it what framerate to use e.g 25fps, it's safer. Lastly under the Filters tab make sure you haven't got any interlacing options set.

Thank you for the reply!

I did indeed have constant framerate checked and 23.98 fps selected. Doing a bit of googling it seems like some other people report the same VFR even when doing so in handbrake. Could be something with my setup as I don't see it "widely" reported. I am learning to author the best command from ffmpeg but I'm actually very happy with the results so far! I might start using it instead of handbrake when fan editing is the goal :).

What do you mean when you say 25 fps is "safer"?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
amsunderman said:
What do you mean when you say 25 fps is "safer"?

I didn't word that very well, I just meant setting the correct framerate (whatever that may be) manually in Handbrake, is safer than letting the program do it automatically.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Try turning off the stuff in the filters tab, in addition to what already been suggested.

Filters-3.png

amsunderman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ChainsawAsh said:
Is your original source 25fps, 23.976fps, or 29.97fps?

It was a handbrake attempt at 23.976fps. And Vegas interpreted it at 25 fps so that is what the project was rendered at.

It's a problem I've been fighting for awhile as it gets that "stutter" effect. I've recently learned that my handbrake rips actually are VFR despite my settings and have found some other handbrake users with similar reports. I just started using Any Video Converter instead of Handbrake based on a recommendation and am getting way better results so I think I'll redo this movie in the near future once I finish up on a couple other things :)

amsunderman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ChainsawAsh said:
Is your original source 25fps, 23.976fps, or 29.97fps?

This one according to mediainfo program was CFR 23.976. I ended up using Any Video Converter based on a recommendation elsewhere and it resolved the problem :)

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having the same problem. Both Handbrake and ffmpeg failed to fix the frame rate. Now trying Any Video Converter.
Edit: It works. Thanks @amsunderman. Only problem is that the software is paid and has a 3 minute cap. A free alternative which also works is Kirara Encoder.

Last edited:
Top Bottom