• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Spider-Man - The Unaired 2002 Pilot

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Verified Early 2000s Document said:
In early 2000, Sam Raimi was approached by Columbia Pictures' TV Production Offices to direct and produce a TV Pilot for a new series based on the popular Marvel comic book character Spider-Man. After a series of script drafts, the pilot was cast with a few big names at a hefty cost and signed them on for 2 seasons. The pilot was finished in late 2001, although had to go into an extended post-production period in order to remove the Twin Towers from various shots of the New York timeline, of which there were many. Ultimately, the pilot was passed on and locked away in Columbia's vaults, and was not broadcast publically or released in any form officially. A copy of the unaired pilot was passed around after the production was complete, in the form of low-generation bootleg VHS tapes, shared at conventions and independant video rental stores.

This is an old idea I had a long time ago, and never really completed it as I kind of put it away somewhere and forgot about it. But I've since restarted work on it in a new form.

The pilot is around 40-ish minutes long and just presents Peter Parker's origin. Nothing more and nothing less. Norman Osborne and the Green Goblin are gone, some silly bits and lines are trimmed as just the Spidey origin is shown in a TV show format. I've also opted to use the Full Screen 4:3 DVD, as I feel it's got more of an early 2000s TV show feel to it. I plan to run it through a VCR as well, just to give it a bootleg tape look as well. I'll make both options avalible too.

CUTLIST
- New studio logos (Screener warning, Columbia TV and Marvel)
- Opening credits are now over the bus scene instead of the web sequence
- Cut Harry and Norman's intro outside the science excursion
- Cut "Or his father will fire your father"
- Cut Peter moaning like a sex pest while taking MJ's photo
- Cut scene of Norman at Oscorp with the General telling him he has a deadline
- Cut scene of Norman giving himself the Goblin serum
- Cut Pete following MJ and talking to himself
- Cut scene of Norman waking up and discovering the scientist was killed
- Cut Pete's backflip during the Flash fight
- Cut MJ's "Help him Harry?"
- Cut Flash's croney's "He's all yours"
- Cut a shot of Pete jumping over an alleyway as the shot is repeated twice
- Cut scene of Norman looking at the Daily Bugle
- Cut the graduation scene
- Cut the talking heads in the Spider-Man montage
- Some new score in the montage
- Added "Spider-Man" title to the end of the pilot

Here's the opening sequence, with the new credits and studio logos

And the ending of the pilot, showing Spidey swinging into action

You had me going there with that synopsis :)

Videos flowed really well. It definitely has that tv vibe. I might suggest not showing the full on shot of Spidey before we see his masked face full screen right before the ending. Gives it a bit more mystery. Nice editing :)

DigModiFicaTion said:
Videos flowed really well. It definitely has that tv vibe. I might suggest not showing the full on shot of Spidey before we see his masked face full screen right before the ending. Gives it a bit more mystery. Nice editing :)

Something like this? 

I can't really take away the swinging kick as it messes with the coninuity, but you were right in saying this works

I like it. Faster, more intense ;)
I also like that it now is mostly in the dark until we see his face straight on.

Thanks Dig, hopefully it's better than the cut you watched a few years back, with a bit more focus and cleanliness.

A preview cut is done, running at 42 minutes without credits. If anyone would like to see this and give feedback before I run it through the wringer, let me know.

Love the idea!

Minor observations/nitpicks regarding the Opening Titles sequences.... television shows usually do not have a studio presents title card on the main episode and they usually say "written by" not "screenplay by"  ;)

But seriously, LOVING what I am seeing!!!

bionicbob said:
Love the idea!

Minor observations/nitpicks regarding the Opening Titles sequences.... television shows usually do not have a studio presents title card on the main episode and they usually say "written by" not "screenplay by"  ;)

But seriously, LOVING what I am seeing!!!

I've already moved the Columbia card to the end of the credits, and I've tried taking out the Columbia Presents card so that the music fades in right as he starts talking now.  

I've also fixed up the screenplay thing, as it's TV and you don't really write a screenplay for a TV show

Is this an original idea or did Sam Raimi legit try to make a television pilot out of this?

Motleys Fanedits said:
Is this an original idea or did Sam Raimi legit try to make a television pilot out of this?

This is just some faux backstory for a re-edit of the first Spider-Man film, it was always intended as a film.

A test of putting the pilot through a VCR, looks pretty good to me

Nicely done.  I really like it.  Though could the skin tones be slightly adjusted?  Seems a bit too heavy into the reds even for old VHS?  Then again, maybe I am misremembering lol

Just converted the whole thing over to a tape, and did it a lot better as I've learnt from my days with TFA VHS (which I'll get back to) as I'm now using RCA to HDMI instead of just RCA to USB, and there are a lot less issues now.

1S2aXq7.jpg

Some comparison screenshots here too. Colour is the main difference as the image is more saturated and the blacks are a little more crushed, but it's striking much more like the pages of a comic I'd say than the DVD. Some info is lost at the top and bottom, so it's a good thing that the open matte DVD was used and not the regular 1.85 BR.

IOzivCS.png

J1eY3xJ.png

akL4JRZ.png

oUEIEeP.png

8GQr6jv.png

RaNhtIH.png

bionicbob said:
Nicely done.  I really like it.  Though could the skin tones be slightly adjusted?  Seems a bit too heavy into the reds even for old VHS?  Then again, maybe I am misremembering lol

The yellows and reds are very present, so I'll try to tone it down a tad

Your preview was a fun watch it really works in the old VHS style. Any chance of providing us with a tutorial on how you got the look and the set up you used. I am currently making a music video and would love to get the old school look for portions of it.

Thanks

Coming back to this after almost 3 years!

There was a tech issue with the original, and I wasn't completely happy with it, so I've rebuilt it from scratch, using an open matte 35mm print, so that the source file before putting it through the VCR was as high as possible. The colours were also pretty nice so it was groovy.

I've reworked the opening so that it feels a little more TV, with a title card somewhat like the 1994 Animated Series

Sequence-01-00-02-50-11-Still003.png

There's also now a new shot, as taken from the Sony Pictures Stock Footage site, of Peter and Aunt May pulling up in the driveway, just so that it doesn't fade in and out of the exact same location. Plus its just a nice little emotional buffer between the two scenes, as originally Pete's graduation was here.

I also deaturated Aunt May's blue dress to grey, so that it looks like she just came home from Uncle Ben's funeral in more of a subtle colour than bright blue.

carpullup-00-00-15-04-Still002.png

Sequence-01-00-41-21-21-Still002.png

DVD-Version-other-00-39-53-10-Still009.png

Sequence-01-00-41-39-17-Still001.png

I've made 3 versions of this new edit for extra fun.

One is the nice clean transfer as made from the original 35mm theatre print.

Spider-Man-The-Unaired-Pilot-VHS-Messy-Transfer-00-02-36-21-Still001.png

A first generation VHS transfer made from running the original file through one VCR.

Spider-Man-The-Unaired-Pilot-VHS-Messy-Transfer-00-02-36-21-Still002.png

And another being made from running the film back and forth about 5 times through 2 VCRs until it ressembled a real leaked workprint tape. This one also contains the real audio off the tape, with all the crackles and hissing included.

Spider-Man-The-Unaired-Pilot-VHS-Messy-Transfer-00-02-36-21-Still003.png

My perferred version honestly might be the Messy one, or the Clean VHS if I want something neater, but I wouldn't choose the HD one personally. Its not in the spirit of this project, but I know some people might want to watch a crisp version of the edit so I shall include it.

There will be new links for this version, so please message me if you want to see it!

Back
Top Bottom