• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Blade Runner: The Nexus 6 Extended Cut

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
original film name: Blade Runner
new film name : Blade Runner: The Nexus 6 Extended Cut
film studio name : Warner Bros.
edit crew name : modernknife
Date Original Film Was Released : 1982
Date Edit Was Released on FE : April 2009
Original Runtime : 116m
New Runtime : 130m

Amount of time Cut/Added : 13 minutes added to film using not only deleted scenes, but several new individual shots, including Deckard on top of the vehicles chasing Zhora as seen in the promotional materials, but not in any version
of the film.

Cuts removed/added/extended : too many to calculate

Fanedit details : DVD NTSC Single-Layer 5.1 Dolby Digital 16x9

Your intention for this fanedit: No voice-over. No unicorn. No Deckard is a replicant. This Nexus 6 cut combines footage from the Workprint, Theatrical, International, Director's Cut and Final Cut into a new extended version designed to reflect the original intentions of the screenwriters (ie: No Deckard replicant)

Your way to achieve your intention: Collected all deleted scenes and every new shot found in the Blade Runner documentary that could be used to expand the film in new and interesting ways. Re-mixed music and sound-fx over any scenes with narration.

Hardware and software information :
Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro

Additional Comment: Since the FINAL CUT version features a new color correction giving the film a new green tint, most of all shots/visuals come from the original Theatrical or International cut for visuals. However, the audio mix from the
FINAL CUT was used for most scenes.

Time needed for the edition: 3 days
persons involved: 1

The Changes:
Blade Runner Nexus 6 Extended Cut: So what's different?

1. New Ladd Company logo in red added to opening of NEXUS 6 EXTENDED CUT.

2. A Ridley Scott/Michael Deeley Production credit moved to front of film

3. Blade Runner title card now appears in the Blade Runner font.

4. Opening credits of actors/crew have been removed.

5. The 2016 definition of Replicant from the WORKPRINT now replaces the old Tyrell Corp/Blade Runner explanation text crawl.

6. Extended shot of Holden after being shot by Leon from the WORKPRINT and extra shot of fan twirling from the TRAILER.

7. New shot of OFF WORLD BLIMP arriving into city is added.

8. No DECKARD VOICE-OVER of any kind is included in this cut.

9. Extended camera take introducing Deckard from WORKPRINT and ALTERNATE TAKES of reading newspaper are used.

10. Close-Up of Deckard's sushi plate is added.

11. Bryant now correctly states that two Replicants died while trying to break into Tyrell Corp.

12. Extra line about Leon lifting 200 pound loads is included.

13. Added deleted scene of Deckard visiting Holden in the hospital.

14. New shot of Police Spinner flying into city is added as a dissolve from the Coke sign.

15. Extended Police Spinner flight to Tyrell Corp. is added, including shots of Deckard studying the files on Batty, Zhora and Pris.

16. Extra shot of Police Spinner flying into Tyrell Corp. from ALTERNATE TAKES is added.

17. Close-Up of Rachael lighting her cigarette and giving a smirk is added to Voight-Kamph test.

18. Extended Leon's Apartment scene. Includes a surprise shot of Leon, who studies the figurine Gaff leaves behind.

19. Extended scene of Leon walking to Phone Booth with Batty.

20. ALTERNATE TAKE of Batty asking Leon about his precious photos.

21. Four Extra Shots of Deckard's car driving through the tunnel are added.

22. Extended scene of Deckard getting out of car and walking in rain to this apartment.

23. Added new high-above cityscape shot of Pris walking to J.F.'s building. Includes a slow dissolve into normal shot of Pris.

24. All-New cut of Deckard at the piano. No Unicorn shot. Instead a new shot from ALTERNATE TAKES is added to include a picture of Deckard and his ex-wife. Added extra shots of Deckard thinking over photos and walking over couch to the Esper machine.

25. New scene of Deckard at fish/noodle bar is added. Deckard notices the fish scale and gets idea to visit animal row.

26. Extended crane shot of Deckard walking though animal row is added.

27. Added extra shots of Deckard walking the streets on the way to Taffy's place. Includes two shots of dancing bubble girls from both the WORKPRINT and FINAL CUT.

28. Added a new shot of Deckard noticing a poster of Zhora with her snake on the wall of the club during her introduction.

29. Added new wide shot of Deckard closing the door and Zhora removing the snake.

30. Added new shots of Deckard climbing on top of cars in pursuit of Zhora. (Not seen in any version, but included in publicity shots)

31. Added 3 new SLOW MOTION shots of Zhora running from Deckard, getting shot and falling forward into glass.

32. Used the new digital Zhora running into glass from FINAL CUT. No more stuntman in a bad wig.

33. Extended shot of Deckard identifying himself to cop after shooting Zhora. Deckard now notices Rachael watching from a distance and follows after her.

34. Re-ordering of sequences according to the original script. Leon now attacks Deckard AFTER the Zhora attack, when Deckard is trying to locate Rachael. New shot of Rachel shooting Leon is included from FINAL CUT. Then cuts to Deckard and Rachael walking the streets, recovering from the assault. The song "If I Didn't Care" from WORKPRINT plays over Deckard and Rachael walking. Deckard can been seen wiping blood from his mouth. Deckard now visits the liquor stand and Rachael can be seen standing behind him waiting. Gaff now shows up and the Deckard and Bryant scene plays as normal - as Deckard's bruises on his face from Leon are now clear. Scene ends with Deckard noticing Rachel waiting for him. Cut to Deckard's apt.

35. Added Extended scene and shots of Deckard cleaning blood from his mouth, while noticing Rachel's legs as she sits waiting.

36. Added new scene of Rachel entering Deckard's bedroom and finding him passed out. She removes the glass from his hands.

37. Extra shots of Rachel at piano are added, including the picture of Deckard and his ex-wife.

38. Deckard chasing after Rachael love scene from WORKPRINT is used (different music and take) Extra shot of lovemaking and nudity are added and now dissolves into city landscape shot.

39. Added new scene of Deckard visiting Holden again, asking more questions.

40. Also added new scene of Gaff and Bryant and they watch a surveillance video feed of Deckard's conversation with Holden.

41. Added new scene of J.F and Batty dealing with Tyrell Corp. security on the way to Tyrell's top floor.

42. Used Batty's "I wan't more life father" line from WORKPRINT.

43. Tyrell's death scene is from INTERNATIONAL and FINAL CUT versions.

44. Extended chasing of J.F by Batty from WORKPRINT and FINAL CUT.

45. Added new scene of Batty in the elevator, dealing with the voice of security and procedures. Showing raw emotions for his killings.

46. Added new shots and dialogue of Deckard talking to the Spinner Cops. "Good luck Blade Runner" line added.

47. New shot of Deckard's car arriving at J.F's building is added.

48. Violent scenes of Pris beating Deckard from INTERNATIONAL CUT and FINAL CUT are included. Deckard shoots Pris one extra time.

49. New shot of Deckard with gun before Batty grabs his hand.

50. Close-Up of Batty breaking Deckard's fingers from WORKPRINT is added.

51. Close-Up shots of nail going through Batty's hand from INTERNATIONAL CUT and FINAL CUT are included.

52. Extra shots of Deckard in the bathroom are added. Batty's line "Are you hurt" from WORKPRINT is added.

53. New shot of dove flying away into city from FINAL CUT is included.

54. New wide shot of Batty after he retires from WORKPRINT. Spinner floats up in background.

55. Extra shots of Deckard searching his apartment for Rachael are added. New Close-Up of Deckard entering room.

56. The Elevator Doors Closing ending from WORKPRINT and FINAL CUT is used.

57. After a few moments of music and blackness, a new take on the ALTERNATE ENDING is included. In this version, when Rachel asks about Deckard's ex-wife, a shot of the photo is included from earlier in the film. Also, when Rachel says "forever", Deckard has a brief memory flash that includes a review of key moments throughout the film. Includes a new line from Gaff "Are you even sure you are a man, it's so hard to tell these days". This visual reverie ends with a dissolve back in the car, with Rachel's line "I think we we're made for each other" followed by a quick shot of Tyrell nodding his
head. Deckard and Rachael continue to drive away and the camera floats away into the mountains. Fade to Black.

58. No end cast/crew credits are included.

Note on IS DECKARD A REPLICANT? - It is the view of this NEXUS 6 EXTENDED CUT editor that the idea of Deckard discovering he is a Replicant at the end of the film is a fun Heavy Metal sci-fi comic book twist, but unfortunately the film
that proceeded that idea does not support that conclusion. Deckard's journey from hating the Replicants to falling in love with one of his prey is one of the key themes of the original novel and shooting screenplay. Harrison Ford's performance certainly supports this notion. If Deckard is really a Replicant, then the Tyrell Corp. owes the Blade Runner squad a refund. Who wants a Replicant Blade Runner cop with implants that he hates his job and quits the force cause it got to him and lost his ex-wife over it? A Replicant Balde Runner who is weaker than any of his prey? Once you start asking sensible 2019 questions on the why and how, it becomes clear that this one-off idea should remain just that. Blade

Releases:
Runner Nexus 6 Extended Cut: xvid file for review
Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

Because I am about to post it there. :) Gimme a little moment.

Oh, sorry boon, I didn't look at the post time. I thought I was behind. (Turns out I'm just an ass. :-D )

nah, I am just slow. Old age is showing. I better retire soon. ;-)

so this is a newer modernknife edit? is there a reason he doesn't post these himself?

actually interested since this seems to be technically superior to their other edits... (16x9/anamorphic, AC3 5.1, etc.)

...that and the fact that you can never have too many blade runner or dune fanedits.

maybe he thinks it has to be me to make these posts. I don't know. He sent me an email with all the info.

He's getting all of the milage he can out of you before you retire. :p

modernknife here...

For those interested...this is a fanedit from 2007 when the new BLADE RUNNER BOX SET came out. I had about 3 days to put it together with borrowed equipment, then burned it to a normal 4:3 DVD.

Well after submitting some 4:3 DVD's, I realized that the many fan edit viewers want the 16x9 version...and some others even want the XVID file for preview. So I am trying to accommodate both. Now as far as technically improved goes, the debate is still out. The process for making a 16x9 DVD really lends itself to a dual-layer DVD for the extra compression -- you actually have to "blow-up" the original 4:3 image 33%. But I'm trying to make single-layer versions that look good. Of course, I'm in the hands of Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro to do the compression. We'll see how it goes.

Currently posted for preview is the xvid version of the BLADE RUNNER NEXUS 6 CUT.

I'm currently building the 16x9 DVD, but wanted to get feedback before posting.

I know...I know..."another version of Blade Runner???"

But I can promise that this version is quite different from all others -- even the other extended fan edits on this site. A real blender mix of all the elements from all the versions. I first saw the WORKPRINT version screened in 1991 and ever since, it's been my favorite version of all the rest, including the FINAL CUT. So this NEXUS 6 was born out of the desire to have a custom Blade Runner version that more resembles the original screenplay and remove other parts (opening text scroll, narration, unicorn).

For the Deckard is a Replicant fans...well this cut is not really for you...however I did include a new ALTERNATE ENDING sequence that is unique to all others....and does play into this idea in a fun new way. Call it the "If I had to submit an idea to Ridley Scott to use instead of the unicorn idea". The newly edited visual reviere that contains clips and voice-over is an alternate "visual clue" to external themes expressed by the replicant idea. See how it play for you. It was fun to put together.

Oh and thanks again to boon, who got all this up super quick.

I think the best tool for compressing is CCE (maybe in combination in with DVD Rebuilder). Yes, it is PC, but it creates awesome low bitrate quality.

modernknife said:
Well after submitting some 4:3 DVD's, I realized that the many fan edit viewers want the 16x9 version...and some others even want the XVID file for preview. So I am trying to accommodate both. Now as far as technically improved goes, the debate is still out. The process for making a 16x9 DVD really lends itself to a dual-layer DVD for the extra compression -- you actually have to "blow-up" the original 4:3 image 33%. But I'm trying to make single-layer versions that look good. Of course, I'm in the hands of Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro to do the compression. We'll see how it goes.
That isn't really true. Most 90-100 minute PAL DVD's will fit on a single layer disc with the extras removed, and still be excellent quality. So will many 120 minute movies. The quality of Cannibal Holocaust by EC entertainment is excellent and it resides on a SL (in fact the average bitrate of the movie is 8Mbps or so, it couldn't have gone much higher). With compression technology today, that size can still look excellent with lower bitrates (not to mention that Blade Runner is 2.35:1 not 1.78:1 and thus has a lower region of picture to encode anyway). Anamorphic NTSC has roughly the difference in pixels between non-anamorphic PAL and anamorphic PAL... meaning it doesn't require as high a bitrate for an equal bit-per-pizel. The bitrate is 20% less. So 5Mbps NTSC is equal (in terms of bits per pixel) to 6Mbps PAL.
But I can promise that this version is quite different from all others -- even the other extended fan edits on this site. A real blender mix of all the elements from all the versions. I first saw the WORKPRINT version screened in 1991 and ever since, it's been my favorite version of all the rest, including the FINAL CUT. So this NEXUS 6 was born out of the desire to have a custom Blade Runner version that more resembles the original screenplay and remove other parts (opening text scroll, narration, unicorn).

For the Deckard is a Replicant fans...well this cut is not really for you...however I did include a new ALTERNATE ENDING sequence that is unique to all others....and does play into this idea in a fun new way. Call it the "If I had to submit an idea to Ridley Scott to use instead of the unicorn idea". The newly edited visual reviere that contains clips and voice-over is an alternate "visual clue" to external themes expressed by the replicant idea. See how it play for you. It was fun to put together.

Oh and thanks again to boon, who got all this up super quick.
I agree with you on some things, but heavily disagree on others. The Workprint version of the film, in my opinion, is by far the worst version. I know it has its fans, but it is just a rough cut, the film was incomplete and in obvious need of changes. As for the so-called "original script version", I don't think there is one. The script was written, re-written and then constantly re-written as filming took place; it had changed entirely to an unrecognizable point compared to its original version by the time the movie was completed. I do agree that Deckard as a replant was Scott's own idea that he inserted on his own; but then many of the wonderful things in the film were scott's little gems.

On the other hand you seem very quick to criticize continuity with Deckard as a replicant, but you forget plot elements that co-exist with this possibility. Photos, and also Rachel - who shows us that a repliacant can be given an exact (or near-exact) copy of a human's memories; and if Deckard is a replicant then that's what's happened with him. They haven't made him hate his job by choice, they got that baggage cause that's what the real Deckard was like and he was their best Blade Runner who was, maybe, killed in action or suicided or something else.

When I get a chance I'll check out your version, because it does sound interesting. But I stand by what I've already said about Blade Runner: there is not one definitive version of the film.

Thanks for the thoughts Daniel...and opening up this discussion.

My preference for the WORKPRINT has more to do with content and ideas than final presentation. I always liked the Replicant definition more than the "let's explain it all" scroll. I really liked the removal of narration, which gave the film a new immersive experience without a voice guiding the way. The detective-noir narration is a good "idea", but the actual writing of the dialogue and execution always felt forced, without the flair and wit of the original inspirations for that device. But again, I know some BR fans that love thae narration because that's what they grew up with. Fair enough.

I also liked the extra shots of Animal Row, the ending with Batty when the Spinner rises up in the background and several other small touches found only in this version. And I may be in the minority, but I really liked the "I want more life father" line. The first time I saw the film with that line in 1991, it really deepened the nature and desires of Batty as he confronts his creator. Having seen "I want more life fucker" so many time before, this really stood out as alternate line reading.

Seeing the WORKPRINT after spending 9 years watching the original theatrical and international cuts on video and cable so many times...it was exactly these original ideas in the workprint that I really liked better and never felt needed the changes that were requested and made.

Damn those preview audiences.

Based on your observations on Deckard is a replicant...again I say, the Tyrell Corp. owes the Blade Runner squad a refund. The whole ripple in the fabirc of the film has been torn wide open with Ridley's assertions...and I just never bought it...any of them. Pictures? Really? So if I have pictures in the future, I'm a replicant? Where are Batty's pictures? Pris' pictures? Zhora's pictures? Zhora doesn't even hang them up in her dressig room, which would have been a perfect compliment to this idea.

The whole Deckard is a replicant idea seems like a "let's work backwards and see what we can do to make this idea fit" kind of concept. Pictures? Check? Glowing light in eye? Check? Unicorn? Check?

Retired? Um well, maybe this robot got feelings and had to quit the force. But what's the point in investing major $$$ (replicants cannot be cheap) and having this kind of unrealibility from your killer bounty hunter -- cause that's what they are. This whole idea WOULD make for an interesting film, just not the one they made. For this idea and concept to really work, there needs to be narrative that compliments and supports this idea, not suggestion and innuendo.

Physical strength? Um, well...Deckard is a different model that the others. Okay, so how old is the Deckard model? Is there a Holden model also? Did they try out the Deckard replicant and watch it quit, so they hired a human Holden to take over from the replicant Deckard? And when that didn't work out, they went back to the original Deckard replicant model to hunt down the replicants? In a film where Deckard only shoots two women and must rely on the sympathy of two replicants to surivive...it sure plays a lot beter if Deckard is human through all this. Cause if he is a replicant...then again, Tyrell Corp. sold the Blade Runner squad a lemon.

Even the detective work is so un replicant like. As soon as Deckard found the scale in the bathtub he should have scanned it and determined it's origin...like a good computer mind would. Once he knew it was from a fake snake, the trial picks up from there. But he doesn't do that right away...he sort of gets around to the idea through other elements (Esper machine results of Zhora picture and seeing the fish scale at a noodle bar), both of which are very human reactionary thinking.

So again, if Deckard really is a replicant, he certainly is a lesser model than his prey.

A unicorn? Yeah, let's put this fantasy creature into the memory implants of a killer bounty hunter of replicants. At least Rachael's memories were based on a spider...a real creature...and based on Tyrell's neice...which works perfectly.

I do think it's great when a film can inspire so many interpertations...and certainly fanediting plays a role in this selection process. With 5 versions of Blade Runner commercially available (can't think of too many other films that offer so many options) it's been great to see a few alternate fan cuts make their way into the conversation.

The perfect Blade Runner will ultimatly rely on which version you choose...which works out pretty well for everybody. So yes, I 100% agree, there is not one definitive version of this film...just the version you are willing to watch again.

so is this version letterboxed widescreen for 4:3 TV's?
and did I read it right that a proper anamorphic release is in the works?
Just wondering if I should get this now or hold off...

modernknife said:
My preference for the WORKPRINT has more to do with content and ideas than final presentation. I always liked the Replicant definition more than the "let's explain it all" scroll. I really liked the removal of narration, which gave the film a new immersive experience without a voice guiding the way. The detective-noir narration is a good "idea", but the actual writing of the dialogue and execution always felt forced, without the flair and wit of the original inspirations for that device. But again, I know some BR fans that love thae narration because that's what they grew up with. Fair enough.
To be fair, the film was not written with a V/O in mind. It's something Scott added because the film was (understandably) chaotic. So I think it's really hard to say whether or not the film benefits from the V/O, as I've seen the film before (many times). Certainly it's not required in repeated viewings - that's a given - but whether or not in a single viewing for someone who's never seen the film it has merit or no merit is a highly debatable point.
And I may be in the minority, but I really liked the "I want more life father" line. The first time I saw the film with that line in 1991, it really deepened the nature and desires of Batty as he confronts his creator. Having seen "I want more life fucker" so many time before, this really stood out as alternate line reading.
That is a better line, and is one of several reasons why the Final Cut is a huge improvement over the 1992 Director's Cut.
Based on your observations on Deckard is a replicant...again I say, the Tyrell Corp. owes the Blade Runner squad a refund. The whole ripple in the fabirc of the film has been torn wide open with Ridley's assertions...and I just never bought it...any of them. Pictures? Really? So if I have pictures in the future, I'm a replicant? Where are Batty's pictures? Pris' pictures? Zhora's pictures? Zhora doesn't even hang them up in her dressig room, which would have been a perfect compliment to this idea.
In the Theatrical Cut it's not obvious because the unicorn dream has been removed. The however, with the dream the fact that the origami is instantly recognizable as a unicorn shows the audience definitively that Deckard is a replicant. The idea is somewhat re-enforced in the film, however as you note there are certainly inconsistencies. I do think though that without the "happy ending" the movie plays better with Deckard as a replicant; otherwise he's a human who's just flushed his own (already miserable) life down the toilet.
Physical strength? Um, well...Deckard is a different model that the others. Okay, so how old is the Deckard model? Is there a Holden model also? Did they try out the Deckard replicant and watch it quit, so they hired a human Holden to take over from the replicant Deckard? And when that didn't work out, they went back to the original Deckard replicant model to hunt down the replicants? In a film where Deckard only shoots two women and must rely on the sympathy of two replicants to surivive...it sure plays a lot beter if Deckard is human through all this. Cause if he is a replicant...then again, Tyrell Corp. sold the Blade Runner squad a lemon.
I don't think Deckard is a different model. There's no evidence this is the case. He could be an experiment, or he could be a highly-effective replicant-killing machine. I do agree, most of the film plays better with a human deckard.
The perfect Blade Runner will ultimatly rely on which version you choose...which works out pretty well for everybody. So yes, I 100% agree, there is not one definitive version of this film...just the version you are willing to watch again.
I can see now why you prefer the workprint version. It removed the happy ending and V/O from the theatrical cut without changing deckard into a replicant. There is such a thing as obsessive-fanboy-devotion that blinds people from accepting what they're given. I give you an excellent example:

24 Season 7 on Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24_(season_7)

Following episode 16 I posted the date that the season is set on (2nd of November 2007). Many times users come and remove it citing "continuity". I am forced to re-insert it. The reason being is that it doesn't matter whether it breaks continuity with events that don't occur in the season itself; this happens in movies and books all the time; if you watch episode 16 the date appears in black and white prominently and clearly! It's all the fanboys who think it means Season 1 took place in 1995 that have their panties in a twist over it. My favourite example is Jurassic Park; cause the main character of "The Lost World" died in Jurassic Park; and came back to life for the sequel... that's continuity for you... the sequel created a "new continuity", and that's exactly what 24 has done in Season 7!

Blade Runner originally gave fans a human deckard; but at the same time Scott wanted him to be a replicant. I don't blame the fans for this, for the reactions that have followed - I blame Scott... he created his own continuity problem. He gave two completely opposite, irreconcilable endings... Theatrically the film ends with a human Deckard... in the Director's Cut/Final Cut it ends with a replicant Deckard. Maybe Scott didn't really make up his mind on this until the last minute?

I would like to see your version, but I don't have the patience for RS... I need a torrent!

I would like to see your version, but I don't have the patience for RS... I need a torrent!

if you had a premium account you wouldnt have to have any patience. ;) even a well seeded torrent takes [insert large measurement of time] compared to RS:)

elbarto1 said:

if you had a premium account you wouldnt have to have any patience. ;) even a well seeded torrent takes [insert large measurement of time] compared to RS:)
Not from the private tracker I usually use! What's best is if the file is kept in the same chunks in the torrent, then you can download from both (and when you put them in the torrent folder from the RS downlaod you can seed!)

Even using RS for free, I'm still able to get a DL DVD fanedit in about a day or even less, automatically.
I just have jDownloader grab the links and I forget about it until it's done.
Just like a torrent.

Except this way, I don't need to seed anything and the fanedit is available for a much longer amount of time, plus, it's usually faster than a torrent, especially if it's an older torrent.

I find it mildly irritating that people decide to make demands or complain about how fanedits are made available, since fanedits are made for these people in mind in the first place.

Too often, there isn't enough gratuity in the world.

Don't get me wrong, after watching the .xvid evaluation version posted, I really love what you've done with this version. Of all the edits out there yours is by far the most extensive and radical.

Two things though;

1. Why are you so hung up on the idea that Deckard was never scripted to be a replicant or that his behavior is inconsistant with being one? If you check this segment of a version of the script that surfaced a while back it does suggest that the idea was being explored at the scripting stage:
http://io9.com/5181048/blade-runners-original-ending-yes-deckards-a-replicant
Check the February 23, 1981 version (.pdf DL)
and also:
http://www.gameoftheart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=868&highlight=blade+runner
The idea is not as unworkable as you think, Deckard could be the latest model or prototype, "more human than human is our motto" as Tyrell says. Deckard could, like Rachael, be an advanced experiment, Tyrell Corp. could be paying/collaborating with the police to place Deckard in this position as part of an experiment. If you are trying to create something indistinguishable from a human then it shouldn't be in any way 'superhuman', it must be flawed and unreliable - like humans are. They are also different from one another, some get all nostalgic over old pictures, some don't.

Just a thought.

2. I like the montage that you added at the end but don't you think that it rather lends itself to a version where Deckard IS a replicant?
I am a fan of Blade Runner. Period.
I tend to lean towards Deckard being a replicant but will not throw a fit watching a version where he is human, I think that there is enough in the material for it to work both ways. However, in the interest of continuity, I think that this montage needs a little re-working to fit the non-replicant angle of your cut (or re-working of the cut to fit the montage(not serious)).

All in all though after watching your evaluation cut, I love it :-D , just when I thought nothing fresh could be done with the material you pulled this one out the bag. Great stuff, thanks, any due date for the DL DVD?

HALLOWEEN PART II by modernknife

review by boon23

Prologue:
I am not a huge Halloween buff. The first one was great, but about everything that followed was IMO rather lame, most of all caused by a slow undying and very unbelievable creature named Michael Myers. What made the first one so special became in its repeats a bore most of the time, when there was constantly more gore added, because the scares were not scary anymore. The concept of this fanedit directly intrigued me though, because it is a bold one. Combining so many movies to one, what Modernknife calls an "epic" is a huge and very difficult undertaking.

As for all my reviews: this is just my personal opinion of this fanedit. I cannot tell anybody else, if he or she will experience it in the same way or the opposite. So my review is not objective and does not reflect the opinion of fanedit.org.

!!!!This review contains heavy spoilers!!!

The edit:
I watched the "John Carpenter Remix" version and skipped then through the "original purist soundtrack" and I think I regret that decision a lot. While the movie is edited well and follows the fate of poor Laurie, the music was the one thing that bothered me in the entire first part of this fanedit. It felt "over-scored". Scenes that should have been silent to be scary were suddenly all drenched in the Halloween theme, which although well done, took all the scary mood away. The "original purist track" contains the badly needed silence for a horror movie. It is what made Halloween scary. It is what kind of makes any horror movie scary. Silence that is suddenly interrupted has a lot more impact than a score with an altering theme that plays almost all the time.
The long hospital scenes were a bit confusing for me, especially when at one time Michael leaves the building for no reason and then is back for no reason. Now Michael is not known as a big thinker, but that felt weird to me. The hospital scenes were more or less a body-count delivery and had so little impact on the story of Laurie.
Part 2 of the fanedit with the H20 parts was great IMO. It was very well edited and heavily trimmed at the right places. And the sound mix and score worked great for this part.
So, while the first half was a rather frustrating experience for me, the second part was pretty good. But discovering that my main issues were not present in the "original purist soundtrack" was quite a revelation of the not so great kind, because it made me truly wish I had watched that first or that at all, but right after oen time, I could not watch it again.
Overall I was a bit entertained from the first half, very entertained from the second half, but in the end disappointed by the overall package. It was not bad, but also not epic for me. Worse than the originals? Oh no, but I was hoping for more.

editing: 8 of 10 (the hospital scenes were too long and a bit confusing)
entertainment: 5 of 10 for the "John Carpenter Remix and 7 of 10 for the original purist soundtrack (which is an estimate, since I did not watch that entirely)(originals: H2: 6 H_resurrection: 4, H20: 6)

Image and video quality:

Image and video quality were very good.
Video quality: 10 of 10

Audio editing and audio quality:
There were no hard audio cuts. Audio was too low ion volume.
audio editing: 10 of 10
sound quality: 8 of 10
resulting in a 9 of 10 for overall audio

presentation:
The DVD comes with slightly but quite basic animated menus with sound that are ok. Cover art is attached and quite well done. The extras contain a different audio mix (which is a great extra) and a basic info menu. There is a new title sequence in the movie and also partly self created end credits that could have been done a lot better. The fanedit.info is detailed and informative.
To sum it up:
Some room for improvement, yet an overall really good presentation.
resulting in a 8 of 10 for overall presentation

Final result: 7 of 10 (because I stick in this case to my concept of not rating more than 1 star higher than the movie was entertaining for me)
A bold concept and an interesting edit. For Halloween fans highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom