• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

RR: Machete vs Predators

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, it's not really Machete vs Predators... but it seems Roberto Rodriguez's Predator(s) reboot is now confirmed.
And he will also make a full movie out of his fake grindhouse trailer: Machete.
I would totaly watch both of them, though it's kind of sad to watch another remake (or reboot) hit the screen.
Thoughts?

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After the abysmal fuckaround that the two AvP films were, I'd actually welcome a new Predator. Let's just hope he doesn't change too much. It'd be nice if he made a film that could co-exist with the first two.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Machete was my favorite part of the 3hr theatrical grindhouse so cant wait. Last I heard he was making it straight to video (which I thought was a great idea) that way it could go unrated and have a "Rated X" tone. Regardless, I hope its as crazy and poorly acted as the trailer. :lol: "...they just fucked with the wrong Mexican" :lol:

as for a RR Predator, I am already salivating because, while Alien/Aliens holds the title(s) for best sci-fi "alien" FILMS, the Predator is easily my all time favorite movie monster, and since (I hope) they cant really take him any lower than the 2 AvP films went - I am very excited.

Are there any more details TMBTM? Is RR still pursuing the 1719 Pirate ship script?

This news combined with the rumors of a 3rd Riddick have my inner sci-fi nerd most pleased.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
Machete was my favorite part of the 3hr theatrical grindhouse so cant wait. Last I heard he was making it straight to video (which I thought was a great idea) that way it could go unrated and have a "Rated X" tone. Regardless, I hope its as crazy and poorly acted as the trailer. :lol: "...they just fucked with the wrong Mexican" :lol:

haha, I totally agree with you. I hope the movie is as terrible (read: awesome) as that trailer. It will make for a fun watch :)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
Are there any more details TMBTM? Is RR still pursuing the 1719 Pirate ship script?

This news combined with the rumors of a 3rd Riddick have my inner sci-fi nerd most pleased.

I don't know about this one.
To be fair I think RR maybe is a bit busy with too much projects. But he said that Machete will be shot in june, so I guess we can say that this one will see the screen.
Apparently Texas now have less taxes concerning movies, so that open the doors for all his projects.
The two next movie "should" be Machete and Predators (notice the S), but he also plan a SF movie called Nervewrackers (?).
All his planed movies with Rose McGowan (Barbarella, Red Sonja, Women in chains,... ) seems postponed or maybe he will just work as producer.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I just swung by the IMDb boards for Predator and AvPR and got the scoop.
I hope he has the good sense to keep it practical and not overuse CG and his "stylish" trademarks here.

Also, PredatorS? ...meh, howbout we find a way to imply 'more that one' with a less direct Aliens rip...? Friggin FOX :|

Regardless, at least its not another AvP/Paul Anderson/Strauss Bros mess.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow, IMDb users really crack me up.
I swung by the AvP:R boards (the most active predator board on IMDb) and everyone is up in arms over there w/ the RR news.

I really just dont understand them - they get shitty no name directors and they bitch, fine - but they finally get a (arguably the most) talented director to touch a Predator film in 20 years and they still bitch.

I used to spend alot of time there until I found this site. Now I can barely tolerate 10 minutes there....

I guess being on the AVP:R board doesnt help matters though :oops: the users are just so odd and rarely see anything other than their own opinion.

ReverendBeastly

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Generally, IMDb message boards are the absolute stupidest film-related message boards there are. Almost worse than AICN talkbacks.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ReverendBeastly said:
Generally, IMDb message boards are the absolute stupidest film-related message boards there are. Almost worse than AICN talkbacks.

Tru Dat :smile:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/04/24/predators-gets-july-2010-release-date/
now there are reports Rodriguez is merely a producer for 'Predators'. With a yet unnamed writer and director - but a release date of June 10th 2010 has been annonced :? that sound more like the FOX I am used to.
Release Date... Check!
Script...?
Director...?
Actors...?

smells like more Predator Poop :|

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not directing now? Oh shit... I hope it's not the bad IMDB and AICN talbacks that rule the movies world these days.

EDIT (from AINC) questions to RR:

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with the word from the man himself about the newly announced PREDATORS. Harry reached out to Robert Rodriguez when the news broke and sent some questions.

Below you'll find how this started, get an idea of what remains from Rodriguez's '90s Predator script and he even confirms he's directing, despite the rumors circulating he wasn't. In fact, he's co-directing, but with whom I'm not sure. We know he's co-directing MACHETE with editor Ethan Maniquis and has, in the past co-directed with Tarantino and Frank Miller.

Anyway, here are the questions sent forth by our own Grande Rojo and the answers from Robert Rodriguez! Enjoy!

1. Quite some time ago you created a treatment called PREDATORS, which was about Arnold's characters being shipped to the Predator home world where they were put into an alien menagerie.

Now that you're producing a PREDATOR movie, is there any hope that it'll be called PREDATORS and be based upon your original treatment? And if not, what direction are you taking this and does it have a title?

Robert Rodriguez: Way back before I did Desperado, I had taken a writing assignment for a sequel to Predator.

With a nod toward Cameron's ALIENS I decided to call it PREDATORS. I set it on a jungle-like Predator planet. It was just a writing assignment, so I didn't have to worry about budget constraints or how the movie would actually get made with the technology that existed back then, so I just wrote any cool thing I could come up with.

Fast forward 15 years to when I got a call from Alex Young over at Fox, who had been digging around and found my original treatment. He was eager to get it made and re-invent the Predator franchise using the treatment as a guide. So he contacted me to see if I'd be interested in being involved, and it seemed like the perfect project for us over at Troublemaker Studios.

I've built up an amazing team over the years at Troublemaker, and they're all huge PREDATOR fans. (I know this because Predator model kits litter our offices and workstations.) So the next stage is finding a writer and director to come in and work with us to bring it to life. Whether or not it will ultimately be based on the treatment or not is still unknown at this time.

2. The original John McTiernan PREDATOR is a brilliant action/ science fiction film. What is it that you're hoping to bring to fans of that film that will revive the franchise?
RR: PREDATOR is a masterpiece of the action/science fiction genre. Its been borrowed from so much in other movies and even video games (that will now probably be turned into movies themselves) that I liked the idea that we could have PREDATORS made relatively quickly. What I'd like to do with it is expand on ideas I dreamt up back in the original treatment, that had really expanded on the universe both the Predators and other species live in. We'd create new otherworldly characters while not taking away from the draw our main Predator has. I think another reason I called it Predators was to mark it as a project that should be taken seriously by a filmmaker to make a worthy follow up to a classic, much in the way Cameron made Aliens a compelling work on its own, following Ridley Scott's Alien.

Alex is passionate about re-inventing the series to a new and exciting level, and as a fan myself I'm all for it.

3. Will you work to get the Governor involved somehow in your new PREDATOR production?
RR: This is still the early stages, so we haven't approached him about taking part. As things develop further, we'll keep you posted, because this is obviously a fan favorite.
4. Are you going to make this a badass R-rated Predator movie?
RR: We haven't discussed rating yet, but my treatment was very "R."
5. What is coming up next for you as director and is there any chance that you'd take the reins on PREDATORS?
RR: The idea is that I'd produce PREDATORS here at Troublemaker Studios, so that I can feel free to walk to the PREDATORS soundstage, pick up a camera and co-shoot the coolest scenes.

Directing wise, next up will be NERVERACKER for the Weinstein Company.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now rumor has Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers/Descent/Doomsday) attached to direct...
While I liked Dog Soldiers, it really showed off talent under a small budget - his other films failed to impress me. Still, if its true, its way better than Anderson and the Strauss Bros :smile:

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
Now rumor has Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers/Descent/Doomsday) attached to direct...
While I liked Dog Soldiers, it really showed off talent under a small budget - his other films failed to impress me. Still, if its true, its way better than Anderson and the Strauss Bros :smile:

I heard that too.
I LOVED "The Descent". Doomsday, was a fun mess (some called it garbage) but that's all; the kind of movie where you can see that the director had fun, but the audience wanted something more (or less!).
All in all, I think Marshall is not a bad idea.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Damn, it is said that a certain Nimrod Antal is now to direct Predators... it changes every week!

Relentless666

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Damn, it is said that a certain Nimrod Antal is now to direct Predators... it changes every week!

Hey, there are worse choices.

Michael Bay? The entire screen is covered with giant Predators who explode in slow motion. People kick them in the groin, while hot chicks fly over them, do backflips and shoot fireballs. The camera is always in the next room, at a slight angle and it's shaking violently. A predator farts and its funny. :oops:

M. Night Shyamalan?
Nothing happens for 2 hours. The Predator is not seen in the entire movie. In the end no one dies. The camera never moves. The average time between two lines is 2.4 minutes. There is a huge plot twist - it turns out the movie was crawling with Predators, but they were invisible so no one saw them. :p

To be serious, the only good Predator movie I've seen is the first one. Arnie rules, the characters are interesting and I still enjoy it even after all these years. I'm really curious about this project, though my hopes are not high.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Relentless666 said:
TMBTM said:

Hey, there are worse choices.

Michael Bay? The entire screen is covered with giant Predators who explode in slow motion. People kick them in the groin, while hot chicks fly over them, do backflips and shoot fireballs. The camera is always in the next room, at a slight angle and it's shaking violently. A predator farts and its funny. :oops:

M. Night Shyamalan?
Nothing happens for 2 hours. The Predator is not seen in the entire movie. In the end no one dies. The camera never moves. The average time between two lines is 2.4 minutes. There is a huge plot twist - it turns out the movie was crawling with Predators, but they were invisible so no one saw them. :p
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Relentless666 said:

M. Night Shyamalan?

Roland Emmerich?
Predators appear in a massive ship and start blowing shit up which causes a massive tidal wave and a new ice age, but it's funny you know. America's famous landmarks are trashed in slo-mo. The world is saved when a virus is uploaded into the Predators WiFi network. Oh, and some relationship that was on the rocks is saved. Lots stupidity reigns.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
from IMDb -

Predators to Start Shooting September 28th

Twitter is becoming more and more of an instant news source nowadays, and if you are looking for any up-to-the-minute announcements concerning your favorite movies, you only need to look here. Production Weekly has used the site to announce that director Nimrod Antal will start shooting the 20th Century Fox "reboot" Predators on September 28th. Just in case you were worried it wasn't really happening.

Antal will be lensing this fifth film in the Predator franchise at Robert Rodriguez's Troublemaker Studios, with Rodriguez overseeing the project as a producer. This latest thrill-fest will actually transport us to the home planet of the Predators, where a group of humans have become stranded. There, they discover unspeakable horrors, not all of which are provided by the planet itself.

Written by the creative team of Alex Litvak and Michael Finch, Predators is set to land in theaters on July 7th, 2010.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
This latest thrill-fest will actually transport us to the home planet of the Predators, where a group of humans have become stranded. There, they discover unspeakable horrors, not all of which are provided by the planet itself.

finally 8) in retrospect the only part of AvP2 i enjoyed was the brief look at the Predators home planet. i still wish they'd gone the brave and imaginative (in this day and age at least) route of setting the entire movie there, Pradator character leads, alien language all subtitled, cool alien technology (but not too much), maybe a token human here and there. subtle character development and the odd slice of insane violence. i would of totally watched and bought it.

and hell yes for a STV version of Machete.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great news, ADI is NOT doing the creature effects for Predators. They (Gillis and Woodward) have been involved in creating the creature effects for both AVP films as well as Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection, while I feel they did a good job on the aliens, the predators looked atrocious in AvP and pretty good in AvPR. I am very pleased to hear they will not return this time.

Who's Creating the Predators of Predators?
Source:ShockTillYouDrop.com
August 14, 2009

ShockTillYouDrop.com is reporting that the Predator creature effects for the upcoming Robert Rodriguez-produced Predators will be created by Greg Nicotero and Howard Berger's KNB FX. Nicotero worked on the '87 film, as did Berger and KNB's Shannon Shea.

KNB and Rodriguez previously worked together on From Dusk Till Dawn and Sin City. The company is currently working on Screen Gems' Priest.

As was reported this morning, director Nimrod Antal will start filming Predators on September 28 at Troublemaker Studios in Austin, Texas for a July 7, 2010 release by 20th Century Fox.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=58074

Top Bottom