• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Anybody here like The Strokes?

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As much as I love movies I definitely love music even more and I personally think the best thing to ever come out of music are The Strokes, is anybody else here a big fan?

Here are a few of my favourites by them.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was hardcore into that Strokes, White Stripes, Libertines, Yeah Yeah Yeahs scene that kicked off in the early 2000s.

The first Strokes album is still a total classic, although I've always had an issue with the decision to have the first track be 'Is This It' when it's the "least best" track on the record, instead of 'The Modern Age' which has the perfect "Up on a hill, here's where we begin..." opening. I've skipped to track-2 many a time. When 'Hard to Explain' takes off halfway through is thrilling every time. 'Trying Your Luck' is beautiful.

I bought a copy of Vitamin C's great 2003 cover of 'Last Nite' in the style of Blondie:

The 2nd one has some very nice moments like 'I Can't Win' and 'Under Control' but overall it didn't shine quite like the first one.

'Juicebox' from the 3rd album was good in a "Holy Bible era MSP" type of way but after that I kinda lost interest with them.

Nikolai's 'Brandy of the Damned' solo indie funk record was terrific:

I thought the first Vaccines LP captured some of the same spirit as the first Stokes LP:

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yep...see the Strokes at a small gig in 2001 and actually hung out with them a bit at a Kings of Leon gig at Bowery Ballroom in New York in 2002/3 (cant remember  :) ) the guitarist Albert Hammond Jr was going out with Drew Barrymore at the time and she was there with Liv Tyler , whom i say is even more beautiful in the flesh. I have seen them  numerous times since. The early gigs used to crack me up as they only had about 30 minutes worth of songs and they used to try and fill up an hour long set with Jams, tunings and banal chat...which never suited them . Obviously it got better as they got more tunes. It's cool that the younger generation is still appreciating the music. @"TM2YC" I've also seen the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, White Stripes a ton of times and as for the Libertines...man i have some serious stories to tell about small gigs i went to in the early days, crazy times such good memories . I still go to a lot of gigs but the lock down has put a stop to that for the time being.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I've always had an issue with the decision to have the first track be 'Is This It' when it's the "least best" track on the record, instead of 'The Modern Age'

WHAT!
The Modern Age is personally my favourite :)
I agree with you saying that the first album is a classic but I also think "Angles" is too, many of my favourite songs by The Strokes are on that album such as Machu Picchu, Under Cover Of Darkness, Taken For A Fool and Games.

I've tried listening to The White Stripes before but I've never found them as interesting or ear-catching as The Strokes though.

I also saw this video that may interest you

Last Impressions said:
Yep...see the Strokes at a small gig in 2001 and actually hung out with them a bit at a Kings of Leon gig at Bowery Ballroom in New York

OMG that must've been awesome!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SonofSinbad said:
I've tried listening to The White Stripes before but I've never found them as interesting or ear-catching as The Strokes though.

The Strokes and The White Stripes were the Beatles and Stones of that era. I liked both but I was definitely a WS man and collected a lot of their 7" singles. They both spearheaded a whole wave of early 2000s guitar bands which I'd broadly put into two groups (an over simplification)...

The Strokes: Mod/Indie/New Wave
Kings of Leon, Franz Ferdinand, British Sea Power, Arctic Monkeys, Battle, The Rakes, Editors, The Futureheads, The Ordinary Boys, The Cribs, Bloc Party, Luxembourg, Art Brut, Razorlight, Babyshambles, Maximo Park, Be Your Own Pet, Klaxons, 22-20s, The Killers, Interpol, The Bravery, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Libertines, The Rapture etc.

The White Stripes: Garage/Punk/Blues/Rock & Roll
The Von Bondies, Soledad Brothers, Whirlwind Heat, Jet, The Bellrays, The Vines, The Hives, The Datsuns, The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster, Brendan Benson, The Kills, Electric Six, Kasabian, We Rock Like Girls Don't, Young Heart Attack, Bobby Conn, Gogol Bordello, Andrew WK, The Dirtbombs, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club etc.

...so there is plenty to listen to.

Last Impressions said:
Yep...see the Strokes at a small gig in 2001 and actually hung out with them a bit at a Kings of Leon gig at Bowery Ballroom in New York in 2002/3

@"TM2YC" I've also seen the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, White Stripes a ton of times and as for the Libertines...man i have some serious stories to tell about small gigs i went to in the early days, crazy times such good memories

Lucky you! I lived in the sticks at the time so I didn't get to see many bands, just read about them and collect the records. I saw WS once in 2003 (the week before 'Seven Nation Army' came out and they really blew up) and it was one of the best gigs I've been to.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Today I decided to rank Is This It from worst to best in my opinion.

11. New York City Cops - This song used to be my favourite of the whole album, but I feel I've overplayed it too it's max and to be quite honest it doesn't have the same feeling as it used to. I do understand that this song was the last song to be made on the album and it was made in a rush too fill up the last spot on the album.

10. Soma - This song never interested me originally as I found the vocal performance quite weak, although I have been listening to this song a lot more recently and it's growing on me very much.

9. Hard To Explain - This song has always been around this spot for me, this whole song just works perfectley together for me, from Julian's amazing voice to Fab's fabulous drumming.

8. Alone, Together - This is just fabulous. Julian's voice sounds like his best on this track, it goes from totally soft and lullaby sounding to shouting and screaming down the mic. Along side of that the instrumental isn't anything too special. But I just can't get over the amazing vocals.

7. Trying Your Luck - I never really loved this song too much and to be honest when @TM2YC said this song was beautiful I kinda thought he was talking nonsense. Just after the song came on my spotify shuffle, and for some reason I enjoyed the song more than usual. The chorus is just fabulous in this song. Julian's voice is just very underrated to be honest.

6. Barely Legal - The amount of times I've tried to figure out the meaning to this song is dumb. Julian really shows his song-writing skill in this song. But the amazing thing about this song is the chorus, as the guitar slowly speeds up to hit the chorus Julian's voice also follows the same pattern making his voice sounding more louder and distorted.

5. Last Nite - I hate saying that when a band i like's most popular song is one of my favourites. And very rarely does it ever happen. Yet this is an acception to that. Last Nite is just f*cking fabulous.

4. Someday - Someday has always stayed around the same area for me. I just love how soothing Julian's voice is through the whole thing. This song just gives me nostalgia for things I haven't even lived through yet.

3. Take It Or Leave It - This is where the ranking gets very hard for me. But personally I think my number 3 is Take It Or Leave It. The chorus to this song always gets me wayyy to hyper. Everything in this song works perfectly. Albert's amazing guitar to Julians heavily distorted voice. It just all fits perfectly together.

2. The Modern Age - This was the song that introduced me into The Strokes, this song has always been in my top 5 strokes songs. I don't even need to explain why this song is so good. But im gonna anyway. The more I listen to this song the more I love it. The highlight of this track though is the amazing guitar solo, I just love it, nothing will ever be as epic as that one guitar solo

1. Is This It - My favourite Strokes song though has to be Is This It, while some people think its the worst, some others think its the best. The thing that makes me love this song though is the writing behind it. I just think it suits the song perfectly. I constantly catch myself singing it in class while im doing my work, I've done it that much its become like an inside joke of the class.

That's my personal opinion I'd love to see what everyone else thinks.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I listened to the 'Is This It' album on a loop while I was driving around yesterday. I'd forgotten how brilliant the bassline was on the 'Is This It' track (starts at 00.52):

and the guitar part at 01.57 sounds like the bit from 'Where is my Mind' by Pixies (00.16 onwards):

'Someday' and 'Trying Your Luck' stood out this time.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pixies have had to pull out of the festival i will be attending in September...i think its due to the covid restrictions but its a shame even though they don't have Kim Deal in the line up anymore.

a new Bluray release on the horizon is from the mighty IDLES:

I'm a bit too old for the politics of it all these days but i sure have fun at the gigs.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I listened to the 'Is This It' album on a loop while I was driving around yesterday. I'd forgotten how brilliant the bassline was on the 'Is This It' track (starts at 00.52):

and the guitar part at 01.57 sounds like the bit from 'Where is my Mind' by Pixies (00.16 onwards):

'Someday' and 'Trying Your Luck' stood out this time.

Is This It has always personally been a stand out to me I just think it sounds so much different to the rest of the album

If The Strokes covered Doja Cat

And @Malthus if you like that you might like this.

Top Bottom