• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vegas movie studio importing blacks as greys from .mp4

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm trying to produce an edit using an .mp4 video source, but the colour space of the import seems off.

In VLC or Camtasia (which I used before), the blacks during the credits seem perfectly black (0,0,0).

But in Vegas Movie Studio 17.0 Platinum, the imported media appears with a grey background in the preview and when exported.

So I believe the import is somehow reading in a lesser colour space (I've read that 16 - 235 may be a thing?)

How do I get Vegas to read it in the full 0-255 colour space?

The imported video is 1920x800x32, AVC format, .mp4. (I'd like my output to end up the same.)
Vegas Movie Studio 17.0 Platinum does, in the properties for the imported video, specify 'Colour Space', but the only option in the list is 'Default'.

Image here, showing a comparison between the source's credits, and my credits created as a GIMP image of white-on-transparent (which when overlaid without a video track under it appears as white on true black): https://ibb.co/SV3CHxW

I know the original video does have black as true black because in Camtasia, my transparent text matches perfectly with the credits.

(I'd stick with Camtasia if only it let me output to 23.976fps...)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, yes I remember this one. You'll need to put the following fx plugin on your video files and or the video track:
Vegas Levels - setting= Studio RGB to Computer RGB

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh you beauty! Thank you DigMod! Am I losing any quality by doing this? I presume that the file's stored in the 16-235 colour space so technically this is as lossless as it gets.

Top Bottom