• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker: Anti-Cringe-Cut:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker: Anti-Cringe-Cut:

Editing is seamless for the majority of the film. Many of the decisions were moments I also felt were "cringe-worthy" when watching TROS in theaters (Wayfinders and other silly artifacts, Palpatine's clone granddaughter, etc). Even though I don't agree every scene/sequence cut was as "cringey" as others, the overall effect is a much more focused and tighter film that still maintains the core of the story.

I was particularly impressed by the decision to kill Kylo Ren at the Death Star; not only in that it gives the finale more weight as Rey decides to face the Emperor alone, but it also demonstrates a lot of clever editing in the final act to maintain coherency.

The FX work was also impressive. Ren's Tie Fighter in the desert is seamless to me. The "un-Force Ghosted" Luke was convincing (though I have to agree with others that it's hard not to catch that slight invisibility that remains).

In terms of some constructive comments: Finn drops a line "I've never seen so few Wayfinders..." in the desert. I thought the "flirty look" scene at the end between Poe and Zorri was out-of-the-blue. The Wayfinder in the Imperial Vault was strange when all references to it are cut (I understand it's meant to be a nameless artifact, I just couldn't tell why Rey would need it, or get upset when Kylo destroys it).

The scene between Kylo and Han was interesting. I thought the dialogue works in context--as though Kylo's hearing his father's words in death or the two are speaking on some other plain of existence, but I think something in the way of a filter/echo/force-ghost effect to suggest it more explicitly would have helped, because the editing as-is seems as though Kylo got up just fine after the battle and started thinking about Han.

Overall, well done and very deserving of Fan Edit of the Month. I'm looking forward to review TLJ: ACC next.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/star-wars-...-skywalker-anti-cringe-cut/discussions/11159/

Back
Top Bottom