• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What is everybody reading?

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
I blame my phone for ruining reading for me, seriously.  Time I used to spend reading is now spent on the internet or playing a game.

Now I mostly read on airplanes.

Funnily enough, I mostly read books on my phone's e-reader app.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't always read, but when I do, I read on my iPad. /DosEquisGuy

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ChainsawAsh said:
I'm reading the fifth book in the Expanse series right now, Babylon's Ashes. Holy crap I can't wait for the show to get to where I'm at, but I'm afraid it won't have the budget to do it right...
Really? I just finished Babylon's Ashes too, and while I really liked the protomolocule story from the first three books, I was really bored by the UN-MCR-OPA conflict of the last three books. I've heard the seventh book, Persepolis Rising, jumps forward in time and I'm looking forward to a change of pace.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
ChainsawAsh said:
I'm reading the fifth book in the Expanse series right now, Babylon's Ashes. Holy crap I can't wait for the show to get to where I'm at, but I'm afraid it won't have the budget to do it right...
Really? I just finished Babylon's Ashes too, and while I really liked the protomolocule story from the first three books, I was really bored by the UN-MCR-OPA conflict of the last three books. I've heard the seventh book, Persepolis Rising, jumps forward in time and I'm looking forward to a change of pace.

The UN-MCR-OPA politics and conflict has interested me more than the protomolecule stuff since Caliban's War (it's why most of Cibola Burn bored me), so I guess that's why I'm so into this one.

It's my first time through the books, so I can't comment on anything past 3/4 of the way through Babylon's Ashes Nemesis Games, but I've been told the series is structured as a trilogy of trilogies, so it makes sense that book 7 would be a change of pace the same way book 4 was (both of them kick off the next arc of the series).

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
but I've been told the series is structured as a trilogy of trilogies, so it makes sense that book 7 would be a change of pace the same way book 4 was (both of them kick off the next arc of the series).

Sounds awfully familiar.

MovieFreakedMind

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I only read hard copies of books. I've been trying to spend less time surfing the internet lately, at least when I'm at home.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
ChainsawAsh said:

Ha, so I just finished the book and realized - I wasn't reading Babylon's Ashes at all, I was reading Nemesis Games! Babylon's Ashes is next on deck (book 6).

Loved Nemesis Games, though. The epilogue had me expecting the next book to get back to more protomolecule/alien stuff, but since that's the book you were talking about, I guess it sticks more to the Earth-Mars-OPA stuff. Which is fine, I'm really excited to see where that stuff goes, especially after a book that seemed to be all about shattering the status quo of every faction. Maybe Persepolis Rising/Tiamat's Wrath/the 9th book will be more focused on the alien story, I dunno.

On to Babylon's Ashes!

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I remember being excited at the end of Nemesis Games for more protomolocue stuff too and then that doesn't really go anywhere. Spoiler alert, I guess.

chyron8472

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Remixed by Jorge said:
Knowing that this forum is full of educated, well-read members I figure why not start a thread about what everyone is reading.
Books being the original mind movies.

Do audiobooks count?

Some people say "no", but I'm of the opinion that if it's unabridged and the storyteller doesn't have a negative impact on the experience, then it's little difference between reading a story and having it read to you.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Knight Watchman, the Golden Age:
41l8-dUgyAL._SX346_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Good, not great. Cool artwork and some nice bonuses.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ never seen space ghost but looks like you're right.

btw, I saw some of your cartooning work in the all purpose art thread over at ot, your awesome!

chyron8472

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mavericks, book 6 of Expeditionary Force was published recently, so I'm going back through the first 5 books again before I get to it. Currently on book 3, Paradise.

512pir464PL.jpg

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
y648.jpg

I owned most of the individual issues collected in this volume when I was a kid, and it's nice to have them again. The Radioactive Man backup stories from #36-39 weren't included, which is a shame, but what's there is still good stuff.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just started Hyperion last night. With two six year olds in the house, I only get about a half hour per day to read at family reading time. So it feels like this one is going to take some time.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
main-qimg-43927a83c8dc55a4b0470e6f6dd78350-c

Only five chapters in, and it's already tremendously better than the whole of Children of Dune.

Mayhap there's room on my shelves for more than one Dune novel after all.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've moved the thread to the books section, thought it was appropriate.

I just finished Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, had gotten it for my birthday, and of course finished it in 2 weeks while going through exams. J. K. Rowling is a masterful storyteller, the wizarding world portrayed in the books feels lively and as engaging as its counterpart on the silver screen. It's impressive what has grown into much more than a global phenomenon began with the pages of this little novel. Overall, a great recommended read. A solid 9/10.

I also revisited Ready Player One recently, after rewatching the film. Loved it and it's still one of my favourites. The movie just doesn't do it justice.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
51MMCZGA2NL._SX304_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I know Kelley Jones' art is an acquired taste, so I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, but I happen to like his '90s work, so I enjoyed Red Rain immensely. Gothic, expressionistic, sinister, melancholy — it's everything I could ever want in a Batman-as-vampire story.

5159JDX61WL._SX302_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I didn't enjoy Bloodstorm as much as its predecessor. Can't quite put my finger on it, but something about it just feels ... underdone. Still, the art remains good (if inconsistent in places), and it served as a fitting conclusion to Red Rain. Unfortunately, it didn't end here....

51CEAKGYH8L._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Didn't like Crimson Mist very much at all. The art's weaker here, which didn't make the interminable sequences of the grotesque vampiric Batman slaughtering his rogues gallery any easier to read through, and I absolutely hated the versions of Two-Face and Killer Croc presented here. On the plus side, the ending's strong.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green

A terrific book. I hope this is adapted to the screen because it is just a great story. This is a story of human nature, fame and consequences. Despite the alien/first contact element, the story is very human. It details the effects of fame and the fragile condition of the world and society in general with people focusing on fame, power, and social status instead of working together and being human. Social media also plays a part, the harmful hate speech and the such that can dehumanize a person. Overall, just a great read/listen. 10/10.

Top Bottom