• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

What is everybody reading?

The Scribbling Man said:
TMBTM said:
I just finished The Island of Doctor Moreau (1896)

I'm a big Wells fan, though I read that one quite late down the road. I remember really liking it. 
How did you find it?

I liked it a lot.
I only read The Time Machine and War of the World before so I can't compare to his overall body of work
but what I like in those three books is that he's taking one simple idea, focus on it and fully develop it.
Much like Stephen King did in his early books (before he went mad and wrote thousands pages books!)
I think I'll try The Invisible Man next.

I'd recommend checking out Star Begotten - one of his last books and fairly overlooked. A bit different from how he normally writes, but I liked it a lot. A sort of satire on how the germ of an idea can spread and get blown out of proportion - particularly interesting in light of this "fake news" era we're currently in. 

A lot of his short fiction is also very good. If it interests you, I listed some highlights in a goodreads review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/799698763?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1

TMBTM said:
I think I'll try The Invisible Man next. 

I hope you enjoy it! It's been a while since I've read that one - I plan on rereading it "soon".

On a mini reading binge. Finished "The Sleeper Awakes" a couple of days ago and re-read "I Am Legend" yesterday . Currently 20 pages off completing "The Tenth Man" by Graham Greene and then will possibly move onto one of the following:

The Demolished Man - Alfred Bester (re-read) 
The Island of Dr Moreau - H. G. Wells (re-read) 
Why Call Them Back From Heaven? - Clifford D. Simak 
Titus Awakes - Mervyn Peake/Maeve Gilmore

Also, it occured to me that this thread would fit better in the "books" section.

Moderators assemble? ;) 

3e9WJ.gif

The Scribbling Man said:
Also, it occured to me that this thread would fit better in the "books" section.

Moderators assemble? ;) 

Nope, because I don't read books....just your posts , and I've now contributed such to this thread bringing equality and equity to all readers, be they book'rs, nook'rs, or took'r out to the trash lovers  :p

I just finished 'Retire the Colors,' a collection of essays about war from all aspects. I was a grunt on the ground but reading about it from the perspective of a military wife, a daughter, a commander of a battalion, a lieutenant, it was something. Very moving overall. The civilian perspective is easy to forget when you have a military one, and even those vary so wildly.

I finished "Life of Pi" yesterday night. Seriously good and detail filled unique survival story. I must say, a little boring sometimes though. I had been borrowing this book on and off from the library since a full 12+ months ago. It just needs that peaceful time to seep in. The humour is very good, I find myself laughing tons of times. A recommended read. Good for free time where you can think a lot.

I recently read the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy and Hand of Thrawn duology. Brillent books and just shows how terrible Disney is at creating Star Wars content.

Been on a bit of a literary kick lately.
Just finished "Civil Disobedience" by Henry David Thoreau, working my way onto some stuff by William Godwin.

As for fiction, I'm listening to an audiobook of The Iliad. Homeric poems were originally passed down via oral tradition, so I believe audiobooks are the best way to experience them.

I might try binging through my "Rise of the Empire" book over the weekend. It features the novels "Tarkin" and "A New Dawn".

Currently reading Dan Dunn, Secret Operative 48
STL029641.jpg.square-true_maxheight-285_size-285.jpg

newspaper dailies from the early 1930's, kind of an answer/competitor to Dick Tracy , but sucks compared to that. The quality of writing is all over the place, but I like the simple art style, these being some highlights:
LOAC-Essentials10_DanDunn-pr3.jpg

LOAC-Essentials10_DanDunn-pr6.jpg

The book is awkward to hold and the content unfortunately gets racist in the middle. I might have skipped this one but it has some cool panels to study. Can't wait to finish it so I can start reading Red Barry:
RedBarry-cvr.jpg

Red-Barry-Undercover-Man-Vol.-1_Page_7.jpg

myth conceptions by robert asprin — farcical fantasy for the lulz.

the vegetarian by han kang — some twisted, fascinating shit.

astrophysics for people in a hurry by neil tyson — so far as i've read, not as entertaining or poetic as his astrophysics books for people not in a hurry.

"The Conquest of Bread" by Peter Kropotkin, apparently something everybody in the UK needs to read because ALL THE BREAD IN SHOPS IS GONE! CALM DOWN PEOPLE, THERE'S PLENTY ENOUGH TO GO AROUND!

Loac essentials Alley Oop, by V.t. Hamlin:
516RjYRyUXL.jpg

Best comic I've read in a while.
lotsa fun and lotsa laffs. 10/10. Read it, a tommy gun vs a six headed ancient greek monster awaits.

"But your highness, we aint got Oop's body!" 
"You aint? WHERE IS IT?" 
"We don't know! He's running around in it somewhere himself!"

I'm assuming audiobooks count as "reading" :D so I'll just mention that I've been enjoying Stephen Fry's Mythos book. It's good if you're interested in Greek mythology. There's funny bits in it that helps make it less of a bore, but to be honest I've dozed off listening to it.

I just finished reading Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power by Jon Meacham, who is an excellent biographer. I'd read his books on Bush and Jackson so I had been looking forward to this one. It was good but not quite as good as his studies on other subjects. I think Jefferson is too monumental of an historical character to be distilled into a 500 page biography.

I will have to read that.  Lately, all I've been reading are biographies.  Just finished Being Nixon by Evan Thomas.

You should read the Stephen Ambrose three-volume Nixon biography. It's great if you can handle a couple thousand pages of Richard Nixon. You have to be careful with Ambrose, though. Certain aspects of his integrity were questionable at best, but he was a great writer and to my knowledge the content of his Eisenhower and Nixon biographies was solid.

I believe I could.  He had significant failings, but those failings, as well as his successes... well, I think he's probably the most interesting man to win the presidency in the past 60 years.

I'm currently reading Thrawn.  It's pretty good.

TVs Frink said:
I'm currently reading Thrawn.  It's pretty good.

This surprises me. I thought I remembered you not liking the original Zahn trilogy.

Nah, I thought it was decent when I read it years ago.

Back
Top Bottom