• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What is everybody reading?

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been reading the Tom Clancy books, I finished The Hunt For Red October and I'm reading Clear and Present Danger right now.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm currently reading the "What is everybody reading?" thread.

DriggyDriggs

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Killing Lincoln. Great history book.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DriggyDriggs - heard that one was good.

Neglify... -_-

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, by Stephen King, and, Devil May Care (007 novel) by Sebastian Faulks.

jelio

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Im reading "The Black Diamonds" by clark ashton smith

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett & Steven Baxter- It's quite a slow starter, there's a LOT of scene setting and it jumps around a bit but I'm still reading 300 hundred pages in.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
currently reading:
432581._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

HEAVY_METAL_286_Cover_B.jpg

619y2pjqWLL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51dhpGcYTvL.jpg

reading this off and on since xmas or so:
Regrettable_final_72dpi.jpg

just got this:
51Y80Tab-mL._SX370_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
portrait_incredible.jpg

Marvel_Digest_01.jpg

baccover.jpg

Rogue inhaled the icy north wind with his mighty and hairy bare chest and shouted at the utterly formidable snow capped mountain before his sandaled feet "ODIN! This thread should be in the Books subforum!". Suddenly, without warning, the wind behind the unquestionably manly warrior rustled at his feet and began to pick up and coalesce in a turbulent whirlwind behind the great barbarian (Rogue-theX). He turned to face this mysterious sight beholden before his amazing hawk like eyes

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The True Flag: Theodore Roosevelt, Mark Twain, and the Birth of American Empire by Stephen Kinzer (2017)

61Uvdo5eSBL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Actually, Mark Twain only plays a minor, glorified cameo role in this engaging and lively account of the political fights, mostly playing out in Congress, of the brief period (roughly 1893-1914) in which the United States aggressively pursued overseas wars of indefinite conquest. It ultimately plays like a bit of a shaggy dog tale: after several extremely contentious and narrow votes, along with a presidential assassination, the imperialists get exactly what they most want, Teddy Roosevelt in the White House... who then doesn't much pursue new territory at all, and then WW1 comes around to give irrevocably tarnish the whole conquest business. Kinzer also notes, however, the misery and death incurred in the Philippine–American War, and its effect on dampening American jingoism. Despite the somewhat misleading Twain-heavy title and cover, a worthwhile and highly accessible read concerning an era and conflicts of which most contemporary Americans are completely unaware.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought I was making a mistake when I picked up Ovid' Metamorphoses.

Only just finished the first book/chapter and the the universe has been created, humanity birthed, humanity almost whiped out and Cupid made Apollo fall madly in love with a human girl, so the girl prayed to Zeus who turned her into a tree. Apollo, undeterred, started grinding on the tree whilst lamenting his immortality.

Slow-paced isn't a term I'd use to describe this book.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Prussian Blue by Philip Kerr (2017)

April, 1939. Honest, moral Berlin police detective Bernie Gunther (Michael Fassbender, at least in my imagination) is personally selected by SS General Reinhard Heydrich (Kenneth Branagh in Conspiracy) to investigate a shocking murder committed on the terrace of Hitler's mountain retreat home The Berghof (seen in Valkyrie). Failure to apprehend the killer will result in elimination, but the investigation may not be any safer, let alone the possible consequences of actually finding the culprit. Oh, and Gunther has a strict time limit of about a week. Good thing he's been given a tube of Pervitin - some newfangled chemical compound called "methamphetamine hydrochloride" to help him remain alert. And, if all that's not enough, we also follow Gunther on a desperate race across France to evade East German secret police in 1956. (Why the two-track narrative? Well, that'd be telling, wouldn't it?)

A riveting, challenging story that may just send you to the library in search of Gunther's eleven other adventures. My only quibble is that Kerr might have eased up a bit on Gunther's constant internal quipping in the final third, when the action reaches its peak. Outside of Sherlock Holmes, I've never been a reader of detective stories, but this novel might change that. A-

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Flash Gordon and the Tyrant of Mongo.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished The Island of Doctor Moreau (1896)
H.G.Wells

and I'm currently reading a recent biography of Harrison Ford.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
I just finished The Island of Doctor Moreau (1896)
H.G.Wells

I'm a big Wells fan, though I read that one quite late down the road. I remember really liking it. 
How did you find it?

Top Bottom