• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Back To The Future: The Hill Valley Chronicles:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Back To The Future: The Hill Valley Chronicles:

One of the more ambitious projects I've encountered during my search for the perfect fanedit. I really love the concept of presenting the familiar 3 movie structure as a 10 part miniseries and for the most part it works really well. The actual scenes play out in gloriously complicated realtime, with BTTF Marty and BTTF 2 Marty both endeavoring to change the past to avoid future tragedies and the editing for this is absolutely perfect.

I especially enjoyed the little touches such as adding a new opening title sequence and a cheesy end credits to every 'episode'. It really made it feel like watching a series from the 90's and was surprisingly feelgood.

Because of the extended format, some of the emotional beats of the first two movies fall a little flatter than they were intended, but this is more than offset by others hitting home even harder. Presenting the narrative in the unique format really emphasises the friendship between Doc Brown and Marty in a way that I have never felt by watching the movies alone. Their friendship really feels like a journey and their deep affection of one another just shines through so that by the end I had a real lump in my throat as their fantastic journeys came to an end.

The only (minor) criticism is that to set up the concurrent 1955 storylines, BTTF Marty escapes from the terrorists in the Delorean, only to wake up in bed. It doesn't really make any narrative sense but I expect it was a necessary compromise in order to have the first two films visits to 1955 run concurrently. Everything else is absolutely magnificent.

This was such a fun and novel way to watch the familiar stories in a new light. I'd highly recommend it to anyone!

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/back-to-the-future-the-hill-valley-chronicles/discussions/11154/

Top Bottom