• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

MP1 Audio Editing / Split, Cut, Trim?

U2Joshua

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m looking for a solution to split .MP1 audio files, at given time stamps, without re-encoding.

Use case: Converting Digital Compact Cassettes (DCC’s) MPP files to MP1, then splitting albums into individual tracks.

I know that many years ago (late 90’s/early 00’s) some were able to split MP1’s using a program called “MP3 Splitter”.
I have found a couple of old versions of MP3 Splitter, and am getting mixed results.

As well, I’ve tried using ffmpeg. However, whereas ffmpeg has an MP1 decoder, it does not have MP1 encoding capabilities - so, while I am able to split the MP1 into tracks, the split files are being output as MPEG-PS files instead of MP1.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Try outputting mpa.

Are you sure that you need to keep the files as mp1?  If you are worried about quality loss, just use FLAC or some such.  Even high-bitrate mp3 would probably avoid noticeable quality loss.

U2Joshua

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Try outputting mpa.

Are you sure that you need to keep the files as mp1?  If you are worried about quality loss, just use FLAC or some such.  Even high-bitrate mp3 would probably avoid noticeable quality loss.

Thanks! mpa works! I will go with that for archive purposes and convert to FLAC for daily use.

Top Bottom