• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Stephen King's IT: The Theatrical Cut

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

Jack Tourette

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Name: Stephen King's IT: The Theatrical Cut
Original Name: Stephen King's IT: The Mini-Series
Running Time: 2 hours, 41 Minutes
Original Running Time: 3 Hours, 20 Minutes
Studio Name: Warner Bros. Pictures
Editing Crew: Jack Tourette
Time to Make Edit: 4 Days
Program Used to Make Edit: PowerDirector Pro and MpTrimm
Color: Part 1: Black and White, Part 2: Color w/ some Black and White
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Widescreen
Synopsis: A darker version of Stephen King's tale of childhood terror is brought to the big screen finally.

List of Cuts/Edits/Added:

- Warner Bros. Pictures Logo
- New Opening Credits
- New Opening Music
- Part 1 is completely Black and White and discludes all adult scenes.
- Now takes place in 1957, 1958, and 1986 like the novel.
- Scenes are listed via Chapters.
- Cut out Cheesy and Unimportant Scenes Including:

1. Muddy Footprints in Mike Hanlon's House
2. Clay Pennywise falling into the sewer drain.
3. Cut Richie's Annoying Agent's lines.
4. Also added "Everybody wants to Rule the World" in the background backstage.
5. Cut some of adult Stan's dialouge.
6. Eddie visiting Mr. Keen's pharmacy
7. Ben visiting the Dam
8. The dog in the Pennywise costume killing a guard, PLOTHOLE!
9. No longer a happy ending, we don't know what happens to Mike nor the fate of the loser's club memory. In the novel they all gradually split up and forget the events of what happened, in the mini-series they still remember and Ben/Bev get married. Mike is the only one to lose his memory. It's left ambiguous now.
10. Added theme to Cannibal Holocaust for closing credits music.

- The color version of the movie is also greatly desaturated compared to the original cut of the mini-series which was bright and vibrant, partially because of the time and partially because of it being made for television. The black and white and pale color lead to a darker looking story. More grim.

---------

3D_JackTourette_It.jpg

Out of curiosity, if the childhood stuff are no longer flashbacks, why make them black and white?

Good luck with the ending. It's atrocious. :)

Well personally, I just like the idea that it takes place in 1958 and they're dressed the part. Why not make the first part of the film look the part as well? So that way it feels like two different films in one. I doubt I'll be able to salvage the ending but I'll give it a shot. I don't plan on making it a happy ending like the mini-series did, it'll be more in tone with the book. :wink:

Okay I just finisheda workprint copy after 4 hours of editing. The Approx. time is 2 hours and 35 minutes now, which cuts roughly 41 minutes worth of footage. It is two films in one, pretty much. Part One which is entitled "The Summer of 1958" is black and white and all about the children. It clocks in around 1 hour. Part Two, entitled Grownups is about an hour and a half and is in full color and focuses solely on the adults but also provides some flashbacks of scenes not shown in part one. After I check it out a bit more tomorrow, I will release an Mp4 version, since and .Avi would be massive, and after that I will release my very first DVD which will have the films both split up and together.

Uncanny Antman said:

only the ending? the whole movie was a massive train wreck.

nOmArch said:
Uncanny Antman said:

Now I wouldn't go that far, I think the first half was great and the second was incredibly flawed. But I'll try to change that. A test view will happen right after I get out the shower on my girlfriend's Ipod. :p

Updated with Information. An Mp4 will be released initially and I promise you all a DVD will come around Monday or Sunday. I've got the cash for a DVD Authoring Program now. :smile:

Jack Tourette said:
nOmArch said:

Now I wouldn't go that far

Really? guess its been a while since you read the book then...

im generally prepared to lower my expectations quite a lot when i view a movie adaptation but dear god IT was terrible.

oh btw have 5 bonus points for mentioning you have a girlfriend :razz:

nOmArch said:
Jack Tourette said:
nOmArch said:

Now I wouldn't go that far

Really? guess its been a while since you read the book then...

im generally prepared to lower my expectations quite a lot when i view a movie adaptation but dear god IT was terrible.

oh btw have 5 bonus points for mentioning you have a girlfriend :razz:

haha, yess bonus points. But yeah no, I don't really compare the book and the mini-series. The book is fantastic, probably King's greatest creation, either that or The Stand. But the mini-series was good in it's own right as well. Just because it didn't follow the novel completely doesn't bring down it's quality. If that was the case then The Dark Knight would be a terrible film because it hardly follows the Batman mythos. The book IT was probably a 10/10, at least to me, whereas the mini-series scored right about a 6/10.

Anyway for a DVD version, I will let the MPEG-2 8GB file encode tonight (it says it'll take 9 hours), and I will burn it sometime tomorrow before I head out, that way when I come back it should be complete and I can just upload it from there. So the entire thing should be due Tuesday.

EDIT: I'd also like to mention that I am going to make a series of commemorative/collectible DVD covers for downloaders to pick and choose from using stills from the movie of each of the Losers Club (either only as children or as adults as well) and Pennywise.

Each different cover is a still frame highlighting each of the character's in the first half of the film. We have 7 members of the losers club, one group photo, one of Pennywise in the drain, and one of Pennywise with his face being melted. I can't upload any to imageshack right now and post one or two here to show because I'm currently encoding the movie to the MPEG-2 to burn to DVD and everything is running very slowly. Each letter I type pops up like a second and a half later. It's quite annoying.

Just some suggestions if you ever decide to try a second go-round...

* You misspelled "Wallace" in the opening titles, but you've probably caught that by now. :)
* The 'chapter titles' don't work, and are somewhat awkward. I would just leave the 'Part One', etc. titles intact, and forget about the chapters. (The title for "The Circle Closes" is especially awkward, since it happens right before a cut.)
* This is just my nitpicking but... any chance of losing that silly shot of white-haired Henry? 'Sides, it's more dramatic if you just let it appear that IT got him.
* There are a couple short flashbacks of Bill and Mike on the bike that haven't been de-colorized.

That's all, just little things... It's amazing how well separating the kids/adults scenes works. It almost feels like watching two completely different movies now, especially with the kid scenes in black and white; it really feels like "It: The Beginning" and "It: The Sequel".

It's been years since I flipped through my mom's copy of the book as an impressionable young child, but several scenes stuck in my mind; you have to admit, the novel really does have some *fucked up* parts that, thankfully, weren't in the movie. Henry & pals getting gay in a junkyard; the much more bizarre scene where Mrs. Kersh turns into all of Bev's dad's sexual fantasies; Beverly's vision of her father trying to... oh, not worth discussion on a forum, go find the book for that one... it was YEARS before I realized what the hell he meant by "intact", and since I figured it out, I've questioned Stephen King's taste quite a bit. :p

I'm reading the book now, and I'm curious, since I haven't seen the full movie in years... the part you cut about the Pennywise-costumed dog attacking the guard, was that related to Henry's escape from the asylum, like it was in the book?

If so, what was the reason for cutting it out of your version?

MP4 has been uploaded to Mega, submitted to Info.

Back
Top Bottom