• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Alternate cuts of movies you would love to see

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since the Zack Snyder cut of Justice League is coming out, I'm interested in what other cuts of movies people would love to see. The only rule is that it needs to be confirmed that the cut and footage exist:

-Back to the Future, Eric Stoltz cut: It's no secret that Eric Stoltz was in Back to the Future before being fired and being replaced by Micheal J Fox. It's confirmed that the footage still exists, there's just no plans to release it at the moment. 

-Suicide Squad, David Ayer cut: Considering that he's been sharing more info on Twitter recently about his cut, we might be getting this sooner rather than later.

-Thomas and the Magic Railroad, director's cut: I have fond memories of watching this movie growing up and considering what little is available of the director's cut (the chase at the end) at the moment, I would love to see this.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
-Thomas and the Magic Railroad, director's cut: I have fond memories of watching this movie growing up and considering what little is available of the director's cut (the chase at the end) at the moment, I would love to see this.

Someone told me that this got leaked online recently, but I have no idea if it's true. An official release would still be neat.

I want to see the original cut of Hellraiser Bloodline, it went through heavy recurs and reshoots and a director change, similar to Justice League. Some workprints are leaked online and are supposedly better than the theatrical cut, but they're still not the original cut.

Reportedly Chris Farley recorded 70% of his dialogue for Shrek before his death. It would be interesting to have that released.

Robotech the Movie was heavily recut and redubbed to appease Cannon Pictures. Supposedly Carl Macek had a VHS copy of this original cut in his possession, though he has passed away. It is unlikely that this will ever see a release.

Of course there's Batman Forever, which was recut to be more childish or something like that. I forget the specifics, but there's a better version out there.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Batman Forever is a big one... @"jrWHAG42" PM me if you want more specs. 
Another one that is referred to often is The Warriors theatrical cut which 
@"TM2YC"  restored.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
wilhelm scream said:

Someone told me that this got leaked online recently, but I have no idea if it's true. An official release would still be neat.

I want to see the original cut of Hellraiser Bloodline, it went through heavy recurs and reshoots and a director change, similar to Justice League. Some workprints are leaked online and are supposedly better than the theatrical cut, but they're still not the original cut.

Reportedly Chris Farley recorded 70% of his dialogue for Shrek before his death. It would be interesting to have that released.

Robotech the Movie was heavily recut and redubbed to appease Cannon Pictures. Supposedly Carl Macek had a VHS copy of this original cut in his possession, though he has passed away. It is unlikely that this will ever see a release.

Of course there's Batman Forever, which was recut to be more childish or something like that. I forget the specifics, but there's a better version out there.

It's true, although any copies have been taken down and apparently the leaker got into pretty big legal trouble with Sony.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd hoped that the BBC His Dark Materials series would make Chris Weitz' original/full cut of The Golden Compass irrelevant. Astoundingly, however, the series managed to arguably eff up worse than the movie by severely watering down Lyra's natural fierceness, so, I'd still be interested in seeing Weitz's best possible cut restored. :mad:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
- The Phantom Menace: I'd love to see the early version where they "went too far in a few places", before they went in and "fixed" it because wow.

- The Star Wars: I'd like to see the famed work-in-progress cut (even if it was only a couple of reels) before they restarted the editing from scratch.

- The Hobbit Trilogy: I'm sure the footage that was shot, could have been the equal of LotR if it had been assembled in a different way.

- Star Trek V: Shatner's ideal, uncut, full-length, blank-cheque, "yes ILM are available" version.

- Star Trek Nemisis: the 50-minute longer workprint, although in a somehow finished state. It'd still be awful but less so... maybe.

- Rogue One: before it was meddled with and almost certainly made worse, although the released version was fine.

- Thor: The Dark World: again before it was meddled with and almost certainly made worse. I can sort of picture what it was from the deleted scenes and I'd like to see that version.

- Godfather 3: IIRC the original opening scene was miles better. It's never going to be up with the first two but it could've been better.

- Heroes Shed No Tears: Just watched a mini-doc demonstrating the differences in John Woo's original workprint cut. Apparently it's available if you can find one particular old Thai VHS tape that somehow had it. I still LOVE the regular cut though.

- Heaven's Gate: In 2005, for some reason MGM decided to do their own completely new "radical" recut (without consulting the Director I believe) using deleted material, screened it a couple of times at festivals, then there was a change of management and nobody saw it again.

- The Thing (2011): the version with all the freaky practical FX before they replaced them all with terrible CGI.

- Once Upon a Time in America: the super extended 5-hour mega cut. Scorsese is still working on it, last I heard. Come on Marty we believe in you!

- A Star is Born (1954): The original theatrical release version has never been released on home video. Various patchy restored/extended versions using outtakes and still photos are all you can get.

- Kill Bill: the whole bloody affair. There are fan versions but I'd like to see the real deal.

- All Lucas films in the original version.

- (insert name of pretty much any Orson Welles film)

- (insert name of all the films the Weinsteins meddled with)

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^surprised you didn't mention Solo there, TM2YC.

I think everyone would've loved to see the originally planned Lord/Miller film. I wasn't a fan of the theatrical, DigMod did make it quite a bit better, though!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:
^surprised you didn't mention Solo there, TM2YC.

I think everyone would've loved to see the originally planned Lord/Miller film. I wasn't a fan of the theatrical, DigMod did make it quite a bit better, though!

I'd be curious to see it sure but I'm certain it would have been much worse. I don't want a Han Solo comedy. I thought the released version was mostly fantastic. Oh yeah and...

- Dune: Lynch's ideal "make the film as long and as crazy" as you like version. It'd probably be the greatest film ever made... but that's just me :D .

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
- The Phantom Menace: I'd love to see the early version where they "went too far in a few places", before they went in and "fixed" it because wow.

After much debate, they decided to cut out Obi-Wan's post-Maul-killing victory dance. The abruptly Scottish-accented swears, the many, many pelvic thrusts, the rude remarks about Maul's mother... it was all a bit much. Likewise, Lucas reluctantly agreed not to have ILM animate the screwball romantic banter moments between Jar-Jar and Threepio after being convinced that, while a clever throwback, the subplot didn't quite fit the rest of the film's space opera invasion genre. :p

Trez75

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting alternative cuts you guys are mentioning. I think one cut I wish it will come out would be the alternate version of 13th Warrior https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120657/alternateversions

I think the theatrical version was not 2 bad. I'm surprised no one did a fan edit of the movie. Maybe I missed it.

I have to put World War Z in the mix as well. It would have been nice to see Brad Pitt slashing zombies in Russia.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
TM2YC said:

After much debate, they decided to cut out Obi-Wan's post-Maul-killing victory dance. The abruptly Scottish-accented swears, the many, many pelvic thrusts, the rude remarks about Maul's mother... it was all a bit much.
After the death of his mentor Qui Gon, Obi Wan went into a deep despair and moved to the Coruscant underworld where he became a death stick addict with his friends Sick Boy and Spud. This plot makes up the entirety of the second chapter in the trilogy.

Seriously though, I just learned of a movie called Tiptoes starring Matthew McCoganhey and Gary Oldman as his twin brother, oh yeah, who is a little person (played by Oldman literally on his knees). Now I haven’t seen the theatrical cut, which apparently was cut into to a Rom Com by producers and is considered one of the worst movies ever made. But according to those that have seen it, the director’s cut is actually not bad. I want to see both as a curiosity after reading about this crazy movie.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
- Dune: Lynch's ideal "make the film as long and as crazy" as you like version. It'd probably be the greatest film ever made... but that's just me :D .

Yes! I'd definitely like to see that. Speaking of Dune I'd love to see Jodorowsky's Dune. From what I've heard it would have been a dreadful adaption of the source material but the visuals alone would have been worth it.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would also love to see the uncut versions of Friday the 13th before the MPAA forced censorship upon them, but I doubt the footage exsits anymore.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
- The Star Wars: I'd like to see the famed work-in-progress cut (even if it was only a couple of reels) before they restarted the editing from scratch.

I'd also love to see the version with the actual temp score that Lucas showed to Williams. The Soundtrack Show podcast touches on SW a lot, and in an in-depth 4-part to the original SW film, the host provides a number of details and examples on specific tracks used. 

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-...ode/star-wars-lucas-and-williams-an-29273922/

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
These have all already been said but the ones I'm interested in are
  • Rogue One with original ending
  • Solo: Lord & Miller version
  • The Hobbit: 2-movie cut following the original script (I know we have some fan versions that try to re-create it)
  • Back to the Future with Eric Stoltz
  • The Thing (2011) with practical effects

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want the original Hulk cut with all of Norton's writing. I bet it's long-winded, but phenomenal.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mission Impossible 2.....the John Woo 3 1/2 hour cut

I feel like there was a good chance of something special there, minus the most likely extra OTT Woo slow-mo, pigeon flying, close ups.  I'm not knocking Woo's style, but his trademark stuff was good for American films 2 decades ago and hasn't aged well, while Hard Boiled is STILL fantastic.  

M:I 2 had a neat idea with adapting Notorious, but it got off track and a bit silly.  

I've been itching to do a fan edit of this years.  One day.....maybe.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
revel911 said:
I want the original Hulk cut with all of Norton's writing. I bet it's long-winded, but phenomenal.

Nah, it's pretty much all there in the deleted scenes, isn't it? They're not bad, but they don't add anything that wasn't implied in the performances and dialogue already. The Incredible Hulk is a fugitive film at heart, not a drama, and a fugitive film needs a sense of urgency. Sometimes a popcorn flick is just a popcorn flick. ;)

Rule of thumb: if the movie makes sense and flows well as released, it's highly unlikely the deleted material would have significantly changed or bettered it. Colored in the margins? Sure. For instance, I consider the chip reprogramming scene from T2 a fantastic bit of character work that shouldn't have been cut. But even it only adds depth and texture; it doesn't redefine the movie in any way.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
revel911 said:

Nah, it's pretty much all there in the deleted scenes, isn't it? They're not bad, but they don't add anything that wasn't implied in the performances and dialogue already. The Incredible Hulk is a fugitive film at heart, not a drama, and a fugitive film needs a sense of urgency. Sometimes a popcorn flick is just a popcorn flick. ;)

Rule of thumb: if the movie makes sense and flows well as released, it's highly unlikely the deleted material would have significantly changed or bettered it. Colored in the margins? Sure. For instance, I consider the chip reprogramming scene from T2 a fantastic bit of character work that shouldn't have been cut. But even it only adds depth and texture; it doesn't redefine the movie in any way.

I disagree, I think the deleted scenes really improve on the narrative, makes you feel for Bruce even more it's so good. Adds depth. That's what I thought when I watched the edit. Remove the deleted scenes and you basically get the Zak Penn version which is just okay.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's some stuff:

- Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Before a lot of the CGI was added to the Jungle Chase among other areas of the film, which made it feel a little plastic-ey

- Star Wars - The Lost Cut: Just to see all these alternate takes of my favourite scenes, seeing what would be different under Jympson, I'd kill to see Han and Luke congratulating each other after taking on the TIEs

- Ghostbusters II Pre-Reshoots - There is a lot of differences with reshuffling and reshooting scenes and adding things to change the narrative, even Eugene Levy made an appearance as Louis Tully's cousin. 

- Amazing Spider-Man 2: There was originally so much more bloated crap like MJ, Norman Osborne's frozen head, more conspiracy shit and I'm assuming a lot more set up for sequels. I don't like the film as it stands today, but imagine a longer and worse version and it'd be amazing to see what they thought was acceptable for a film

- Close Encounters: I read the shooting script and even though there is three different official cuts, there are so many more differences with missing scenes not written yet, deleted and extended scenes and more screentime with Lacombe (even though there shouldn't be). You can see some of it in the DVD deleted scenes, but stuff still is missing. Most of it is garbage, but I'd welcome something different ontop of the other cuts. 

- Alien 3: The Assembly Cut is great, but there's still a few bits missing only seen in the workprint, as well as some stuff that could be cut for the definitive cut of the film

- The Terminator: I'd love for the Traxer and Cyberdyne subplots to be added back into the film, ADM did great apparently but alas the cut is lost forever...

- Back to the Future with Eric Stolz: Enough said

- Spider-Man 3: Its more deleted stuff really, more Sandman stuff with him getting a doctor for his kid, Spider-Man goofing around with a kid at the Parade, saving a baby, Eddie going to Gwen's house, alternate meeting with Sandman, Spidey trying to pull Eddie out of the symbiote but he is nothing more than a skeleton as he has fully bonded with it, and then the Symbiote going after Spidey again as well. There's a lot more stuff obviously that i'd like to see.

- A version of Justice League with stuff in it

Top Bottom